• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Game earnings via business account?"

Collapse

• Sally BFCA
    replied
    Originally posted by Gros View Post
    Haha... the chance would be a fine thing! I pay myself minimum £450ish a month salary, and no dividends for a year now.

So, the money I take out of paypal will push me over the basic wage level. How will that affect things?
    Any earnings over £6475 (may become £10000 in the June budget) will be taxable at 20% if it stays as personal income or no further tax to pay if paid into company and paid out as a dividend. There will be a tax credit of 10% for all dividends raised.

Leave a comment:

• Gros
    replied
    Originally posted by Sally BFCA View Post
    Correct, the 40% tax is only for any earnings over the £43875 threshold (£37,400 lower tax band + £6,475 personal allowances)
    Haha... the chance would be a fine thing! I pay myself minimum £450ish a month salary, and no dividends for a year now.

So, the money I take out of paypal will push me over the basic wage level. How will that affect things?

Leave a comment:

• Sally BFCA
    replied
    Originally posted by lje View Post
    However, if you have more money coming in from your company (salary and dividends over £43k) then you would have to pay 40% on your incidental earnings.

That's my understanding of things anyway - but I'm not an expert in this area...
    Correct, the 40% tax is only for any earnings over the £43875 threshold (£37,400 lower tax band + £6,475 personal allowances)

Leave a comment:

• lje
    replied
    When you talk about playing 20%, is this on all my earnings from the game, or just 20% over a certain figure?
    This would be exra income for you so you need to take account of the money you get in from your company too. So, for example, if you get a salary of £7k from your company and a dividend of £30k (gross) then you have £37k coming in so earnings from the game up to the higher tax limit (around £43,000) would be taxed at the basic rate of 20% - ie up to around £6k.

However, if you have more money coming in from your company (salary and dividends over £43k) then you would have to pay 40% on your incidental earnings.

That's my understanding of things anyway - but I'm not an expert in this area...

Leave a comment:

• Sally BFCA
    replied
    If you start putting the income through your company, you will either need to invoice or provide receipts detailing money received and the breakdown of VAT as you are going to have to work out the VAT element of what you receive. You may need to adjust your percentage rate if you are on the VAT flat rate scheme for a different trade classification.

Previous income prior to having a paypal account should be treated as personal income, as that is what is was then.

Leave a comment:

• Gros
    replied
    Originally posted by Stag Cozier View Post
    If your personal income is incidental to your company income, then its fine to declare it as other income on your personal return if you are a basic rate tax payer. It actually works out cheaper (20% income tax vs 21% CT).
    When you talk about playing 20%, is this on all my earnings from the game, or just 20% over a certain figure?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I would be inclined to sell the IP of the game to the company.

I'm not sure if this would come under capital gains (hopefully - you can use you tax free allowance) or incidental income.

Then carry on as you suggest with the company continuing to benefit from the advertising income (you will need to re-work everything to be in the company name).

Leave a comment:

• Stag Cozier
    replied
    Yes but that's what I want to avoid.
    If your personal income is incidental to your company income, then its fine to declare it as other income on your personal return if you are a basic rate tax payer. It actually works out cheaper (20% income tax vs 21% CT). As it is incidental, you don't have to tell HMRC you're self employed or start paying class 2 NIC.

As Zed said, you could treat what you have done thus far as personal and anything else moving forward as company?

Leave a comment:

• zedAccounts
    replied
    In that case maybe treat what you have earned so far as personal income. Then slap your company name on the software, set up a paypal account in your company's name and treat subsequent income as the company's.

ZED.

Leave a comment:

• Gros
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    Aswell as asking on here for general advice, this seems more of a question for your accountant surely?
    Not had a response, could be away, and I need to act fairly quickly.

Originally posted by zedAccounts View Post
    Is the game a company asset? Did you write the game for the company? Is the Paypal account in the company's name?
    No, no and no. It was a personal venture, which I now wish to turn into a business venture. I can register my account with the ad company as my business name, and the money can go straight from Paypal into the business account.

Originally posted by Stag Cozier View Post
    Say this game thing wasn't the same business activity as your limited company's, you could simply declare the profit on your personal tax return and pay the associated tax on it as it would be considered other income.
    Yes but that's what I want to avoid.

Leave a comment:

• Stag Cozier
    replied
    Say this game thing wasn't the same business activity as your limited company's, you could simply declare the profit on your personal tax return and pay the associated tax on it as it would be considered other income.

Leave a comment:

• zedAccounts
    replied
    Is the game a company asset? Did you write the game for the company? Is the Paypal account in the company's name?

ZED.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Aswell as asking on here for general advice, this seems more of a question for your accountant surely?

Leave a comment:

• Gros
    started a topic Game earnings via business account?

Game earnings via business account?

Hi all.

Usually I'm doing IT contracts and accounting via a limited company, as most of you here. Recently things have been bad and I haven't secured contracts, so have been focusing on new things.

I released a free game onto the mobile market, which thankfully has done rather well, and I'm making money via advertising. The money gets paid to me from the Ad company into my Paypal account once a month.

1) Is it acceptable to class this as business earnings? It's the same business that I set up my company for, and it's money I've earned from my own efforts.

My hope is that I can pay this money into my business bank and account for it there, so that I can pay myself dividends from it, and the taxman gets his share via corp tax. The alternative would be declaring it as personal income, and paying tax that way.

2) If the answer is Yes, how do I do this, regarding VAT? I'm VAT registered, but this money has no VAT involved. I don't bill them, they just pay me a flat sum every month.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Working...
X