• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "BN66 - JR Judgement Day"

Collapse

• administrator
    replied
    Continued:
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...rt-appeal.html

Leave a comment:

• Doug1965
    replied
    More 'clarifications' in Evening Standard

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...orking-here.do

Of course it is all the fault of the accountants for following HMRC guidelines in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• Tax_shouldnt_be_taxing
    replied
    Worth a read:

http://www.pcg.org.uk/cms/documents/...egislation.pdf

Leave a comment:

• Tax_shouldnt_be_taxing
    replied
    Return on Investment

As all good business will do, an RoI should go along with any strategic project. So has an FoI been raised asking:

"Between 2002 and 2008 how much has HMRC / HMT spent on implementing tax avoidance and evasion practices within their departments compared to the actual realised monies recovered via this practice? Please supply a year on year breakdown to demonstrate the Return on Investment of this."

Can't see how they could claim it breaks the FoI expenditure rules or "information not held" as I cannot imagine they don't keep track of their RoI on such a majore piece of work...

I cannot see how HMRC can refer to "protecting the Exchequer" or how much cost there is to the Exchequer if they didn't know themselves how much they are costing it. Folly, surely.

Would be nice to ask this question at the next round of Court chit chat though. Imagine the scene:

Them: The cost to the Exchequer of this is estimated at 200M quid
    Us: How much do you cost the Exchequer to go after avoidance?
    Them: We don't know
    Us: We estimate your cost to the Exchequer is 400M quid (pro quo)
    Last edited by Tax_shouldnt_be_taxing; 18 February 2010, 14:15.

Leave a comment:

• DonkeyRhubarb
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    CTD question, how long should it take to get a certificate back from those lurvely people in Cumbernauld?

I made a deposit and sent a letter with my deposit details as stated on HMRC's web page a week ago but, no show from them so far.

Anyone know how long it should take!?
    Mine took 10 days but I'd allow 2 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• AlbionRovers
    replied
    Sorry if this sounds insensitive to individual people's plights but we're all here for a reason and we're all part of this struggle. But -

A recent post mentioned a "settlement". Can the poster confirm that this is true and also the % of full liabillity the settlement is?

i though settlements were off the radar?

Leave a comment:

• johnnyguitar
    replied
    change of government?

so, if the labour are out at the next election, what are the chances that HMRC will start behaving a bit more reasonably ? and how soon before they stop this charade ?

Leave a comment:

• smalldog
    replied
    Originally posted by Tax_shouldnt_be_taxing View Post
    BB, I think you have a point, but to take any emotion out, they want us all under PAYE - FULL STOP. And that means everybody. No SA, no dividends, no creativity, no taking risks, no going the extra mile, no excelling yourself and get ahead. Also known as the Public Sector.
    they might want that but its unrealistic, this is a capitalist not communist state...(well im not so sure anymore). So professional footballers PAYE eh! its laughable...
    Last edited by smalldog; 18 February 2010, 13:54.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by Tax_shouldnt_be_taxing View Post
    BB, I think you have a point, but to take any emotion out, they want us all under PAYE - FULL STOP. And that means everybody. No SA, no dividends, no creativity, no taking risks, no going the extra mile, no excelling yourself and get ahead. Also known as the Public Sector.
    Yes, totally agree. I think there is a desire that all individuals be taxed under PAYE so everyone is the same and allowance are tightly regulated.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Ctd

CTD question, how long should it take to get a certificate back from those lurvely people in Cumbernauld?

I made a deposit and sent a letter with my deposit details as stated on HMRC's web page a week ago but, no show from them so far.

Anyone know how long it should take!?

Leave a comment:

• Tax_shouldnt_be_taxing
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    SD, the strategy isnt about one thing.

Its to;
    punish us
    force us into permidom where tax avoiding measures are virtually non existent
    act as a warning to others
    maximise the tax take from others.

Oh and I forgot the most important, vindictiveness.

Leave a comment:

• smalldog
    replied
    Originally posted by poppy01 View Post
    This is of course, us, 6 months from now
    now now chinup poppy, no fat lady singing just yet....

Leave a comment:

• Tax_shouldnt_be_taxing
    replied
    Pastalista

Well, so much for HMRC's statement at the JR about taking individuals circumstances into account on the matter of paying. Truely sorry for you. But you know, BR is not the end of the world, it's the end of your life as it was. No comfort I know. But your case is an example of how HMRC want to grab the cash. Whilst they might get less from this than if they went about things in a more reasoned way, that logic does not appear to apply. Tell me what is "fair" about that?

I wish you well.

All, our case is far from over. There's much discussed here about retro and it's taking on a topic on its own. There are particulars to our situation which have still to be played out. Yes, there could be a storm brewing and battening down the hatches is no bad thing. But that is not the same as going for the lifeboats prematurely. There is still some way to go and I hope the more retro comes into light the more the masses will wake up and start asking searching questions.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by smalldog View Post
    Pastalista, sorry to hear about your plight, I dont get why they wont agree to a settlement when it means over the longer term they get all the settlement, whereas bankruptcy will only realise what you have at that moment in time so might not realise as much money....why is that a sensible strategy from any kind of perspective??

I hope if nothing else you can now start to move on as you have a level of inevitability.
    SD, the strategy isnt about one thing.

Its to;
    punish us
    force us into permidom where tax avoiding measures are virtually non existent
    act as a warning to others
    maximise the tax take from others.

Oh and I forgot the most important, vindictiveness.

Leave a comment:

• KiwiGuy
    replied
    Letter to MP

Hey Guys i want to write to Ed Davey, does anyone have a nice template of one i can use? PM me

Leave a comment:

Working...
X