• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Paying VAT online

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Paying VAT online"

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
    yep same thing happened to me - paid on the 14th and letter re non-payment rec'd last week.
    VAT blamed computer cock up.
    I spoke to the VATman, it turns out I have made the payment but not sent the form so I haven't made a VAT return.

He just told me to stick the green form in the post.

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I've always put a check in the post but last time I paid online making sure I entered the details exactly as requested.

This morning I received a nasty letter from the VATman informing me that I haven't paid, I wouldn't mind if there was one single mention of it possibly being an admin error on their part but no it just lists all the fines and penalties should I fail to pay the figure that they seem to have plucked out of the air.

Double checked the payment with my bank and it was paid 14/04/2009.

Anyone else had problems with online VAT payments?
    yep same thing happened to me - paid on the 14th and letter re non-payment rec'd last week.
    VAT blamed computer cock up.

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    I just send the form online. I then get a direct debit taken a month or so later. Simples.
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    I just send the form online. I then get a direct debit taken a month or so later. Simples.
    Yeah, I've just switched to this for the next return.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Yes, the problem will be you didn't send the green form.

Without that they have no idea what you are paying them for so will not process the return.

I've been doing this for 3 years with no problems (send off green form, pay by BACS or bank transfer)

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    I'm having exactly the same issue with a VAT payment already sent - Revenue keep sending bollox letters saying amount is owed, looks like they may have a problem with their systems

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by downsouth View Post
    my mistake, that'll teach me to try and use me brain on a saturday!!

All your dets are correct, It might be worth if you haven't already speaking with your bank, your OP didnt say if you had or just checked online.

Gather all the info and then contact the vat gang
    Well the details were correct and the payment went so they must have it? Over £500 more than the estimate which they seemed to have just guessed as they have no idea what I invoiced for.

Leave a comment:

• downsouth
    replied
    my mistake, that'll teach me to try and use me brain on a saturday!!

All your dets are correct, It might be worth if you haven't already speaking with your bank, your OP didnt say if you had or just checked online.

Gather all the info and then contact the vat gang

Leave a comment:

• ctdctd
    replied
    I do VAT return online and pay by bacs transfer from the bank using the account details you have listed above. Never sent any forms by post. May be different if you do manual return though?
    Last edited by ctdctd; 23 May 2009, 12:39.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by downsouth View Post
    check with HMRC the payment reference code you used was correct for the VAT period you were paying, I too fell foul of this based on the ref code my accountant gave me.

Always best to speak direct to HMRC as they will see a payment just under a diff ref code.
    A ref code is only applicable to Corp tax and PAYE, when you pay VAT you just use your VAT number surely?

On the form it says I need to provide the following info to make an online payment:

Payment amount
    account name: HMRC VAT
    sort code: 10-00-00
    account number: 52055000
    VAT Registration Number

They're shut til Tuesday.

Leave a comment:

• downsouth
    replied
    Yep, still send the green form in also, doesn't quite make sense to me either, but dont really want to upset the Vat Man

The form has a tick box if you enclose a chq, so they will know when processing the form if you have paid online or not.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Just thought...

I still have the green form, should I have sent it even though I paid online?

Seems a bit pointless paying electronically and then sending a form that has no way of indicating how I've paid.

Leave a comment:

• downsouth
    replied
    check with HMRC the payment reference code you used was correct for the VAT period you were paying, I too fell foul of this based on the ref code my accountant gave me.

Always best to speak direct to HMRC as they will see a payment just under a diff ref code.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    started a topic Paying VAT online

Paying VAT online

I've always put a check in the post but last time I paid online making sure I entered the details exactly as requested.

This morning I received a nasty letter from the VATman informing me that I haven't paid, I wouldn't mind if there was one single mention of it possibly being an admin error on their part but no it just lists all the fines and penalties should I fail to pay the figure that they seem to have plucked out of the air.

Double checked the payment with my bank and it was paid 14/04/2009.

Anyone else had problems with online VAT payments?

Working...
X