• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Tax Design.

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Tax Design."

Collapse

• Jean Burrek
    replied
    Originally posted by prozak View Post
    Anyone here using these guys or heard of them even?

Looking to see if anyone has any stories about payments and customer service.
    I would be very very careful. Mr Webster was suspended from the Bar for a period of 3 years from 2000 for harassment and perverting the cause of justice. Before the Bar heard his appeal against the suspension he was accused of, and admitted stalking and threatening behaviour of one of his clients. For this he was struck off. That's a public record.

He was dismissed by the company in IOM for making out he was still a barrister.

Originally a criminal lawyer now a tax advisor and suddenly flush with cash I would imagine someone was foolish enough to believe in this scheme. I guess a fool and his money are soon parted.

Beware.

Leave a comment:

• prozak
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    Well if this person is a convicted criminal....

Would you trust your entire income to a convicted criminal, not just any criminal, but a convicted fraudster?

I certainly wouldn't, I would also suggest that anybody who would will most likely get exactly what they deserve in the long run.....
    I think you need to re-read everything and my clarification.

Justin Webster has not been convicted of or ever accused of fraud....

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Well if this person is a convicted criminal....

Would you trust your entire income to a convicted criminal, not just any criminal, but a convicted fraudster?

I certainly wouldn't, I would also suggest that anybody who would will most likely get exactly what they deserve in the long run.....

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    I'm not sure my belief in rehab would extend to trusting people - with my own money - who are accused of theft or fraud though.
    Precisely, I certainly wouldn't trust my contract income to a known fraudster.

A lot of people forget that when they sign on to these schemes they are handing over all rights to the money apart from the basic salary that they accept. If they didn't then there would be no way for the scheme "income" to be disguised as anything other than income to be taxed accordingly.

Leave a comment:

• prozak
    replied
    Originally posted by nodric View Post
    If someone has paid their penalty then they should be allowed to make a living but, with other comments about people suing each other, it all comes down to whether you would trust this man with your monthly earnings?

Due Diligence is needed...
    I agree.

Been doing more research.

This alan jones and giles morris guys have their hands in all sorts of pies and haven't been doing a stellar performance to say the least - not to mention the case against them for stealing from MTM.

I think Donkey Rhubarb has some opinionson these guys.... as he posted about them in another thread.

You can google it all yourself!

Isn't the internet amazing?

Anway they are also involved in a few others so avoid E-cover, fidei trust, taxatak. They also are involved in Denevo Solar - whose directors (Stephen Lawrence and Mark Starling) are being done for fraud! - Now that IS a concern if you are dealing with them.

What a tangled web.

As for trusting TaxDesign. Well who knows. For now I run a ltd company but I do believe in rehabilitation so would most likely trust such a company since the offence was of a personal nature. And there has been no one coming forward talking about them in a negative way except for the issue with Justin Websters past.

I'm not sure my belief in rehab would extend to trusting people - with my own money - who are accused of theft or fraud though.

Edit: Just to clarify this last paragraph does not relate to TaxDesign or Justin Webster... just in case there was some misunderstanding.
    Last edited by prozak; 27 April 2009, 11:46. Reason: clarification of last paragraph

Leave a comment:

• AZZIK
    replied
    Originally posted by Archangel View Post
    Their promises sound the same as Sanzar, et al.

They give no details of their scheme, but its probably an EBT stylee.

If they go down, you will be resposible for the tax

Bargepole required.

(they guarantee 90% after fees and taxes! Yeah, right, I was born 22/04/2009)

If you are interested I have the following offers:

1) Magic beans. These have been checked by HMRC and found to be legal. I have taken legal councils advice and he says there is nothing that can be illegal about the beans, although if the beans turn out not to be magic, no refunds will be given. 100% guarranteed
    2) $100,000,000.00 (one hundred Million dollars US) in an account in Nigeria owned by my father the late Dr Umbumbo Mumbo Jumbo, I just need someone with a UK bank account to get at the money. We will split it 50/50 GUARRANTEED 100% legit.

Leave a comment:

• nodric
    replied

Should somone be condemned for past transgressions for which he has been punished?
    If someone has paid their penalty then they should be allowed to make a living but, with other comments about people suing each other, it all comes down to whether you would trust this man with your monthly earnings?

Due Diligence is needed...

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    So... some leaps here.

If this justin webster was in house counsel at MTM - and this scheme worked and was good....... and you can look past his issues in the past none of which were fraud etc.....

would his own scheme be as good and worth looking into further?

perhaps.
    Whether it worked or not might be subject to some debate. Certainly users of it are currently in a difficult position. How it will eventually pan out is not yet known - and in my view unlilkely to be for a few years yet. I would think that anybody joining a scheme of this type in the current climate is certainly brave.

Leave a comment:

• prozak
    replied
    So... some leaps here.

If this justin webster was in house counsel at MTM - and this scheme worked and was good....... and you can look past his issues in the past none of which were fraud etc.....

would his own scheme be as good and worth looking into further?

perhaps.

Leave a comment:

• prozak
    replied
    Originally posted by TrashMan View Post
    Just checked out the company that owns tax design website

Then went to companies house and paid a £1 to get copy of latest annual return.

This has been signed off by a Mr E W Gittins on behalf of MT Secretaries Ltd.

This company is part of the Montpelier Group.

So wondering if Tax Design is the company offering the loan scheme that replaced the BN66 scheme.
    Well I think you'll find that if you look further through the Justin Webster searches you will find an Isle of Man Judgment.

MONTPELIER TAX PLANNING (IOM) LIMITED formerly MTM (TAX CONSULTANTS) LIMITED
    and
    ALAN JONES
    and
    GILES MORRIS

Basically, MTM sues / is sueing the other two for alleged breaches - accusing them of stealing IP etc whilst employees..

Justin Webster is quoted in the judgement as in house counsel....

http://www.judgments.im/content/prin...versionid=2577

And yes it is the same Justin Webster as in the articles posted.

Should somone be condemned for past transgressions for which he has been punished?

Leave a comment:

• prozak
    replied
    Originally posted by Friendly Accountant View Post
    Firstly, the returns (up to 90%) are higher than the other schemes that I would be comfortable with. They may be achieving this by either lowering their fees or cutting corners on the implimentation. The first option may be OK, the second could cause problems.
    Well this is one of my concerns.

Comparing it with the Sanzar offering it is basically just taking less fees.

Does that mean not implemented as well? who knows.

Leave a comment:

• prozak
    replied
    Last edited by prozak; 27 April 2009, 07:49. Reason: none

Leave a comment:

• nodric
    replied
    Originally posted by TrashMan View Post
    All links & telephone numbers on their website lead to a Justin Webster.
    If you do a search on Justin Webster Barrister you get some quite worrying information - he has been imprisoned twice and debarred from acting as a Barrister.

Unfortunately the tax design guy is the ex-criminal.
    Purely circumstantial but, a Google search revealed lots of stories of a Justine Webster Barrister from Ashford Kent went to Prison on more than 1 occasion for female harressment and related offences including perverting the course of justice.

Interestingly the Canterbury office of Tax Design is 12 miles from Ashford.

The Tax Design website was only updated a few days ago and although no longer linked from the main pages this old FAQ page is still live FaQs. Apart from some notes saying it is not an EBT it also only lists their Ashford office phone number.

If, as my other post notes, he is acting as a agent for setting up trusts then it is easy enough to go direct to the trust provider for the same services.

I would ask him straight if he is the chap in these articles, Guardian 2001 and The Telegraph.

I would always be more concerned with schemes claiming to offer you 90% retention, especially in Mr Brown's back yard and, operating via the IOM

Leave a comment:

• nodric
    replied
    This might help http://www.fidei.biz/

Amusingly most of the site is behind the members section but, if you Google their site for fidei IOM Search and hit the cached pages it has most of the hidden pages in it

Leave a comment:

• TrashMan
    replied
    I've been in touch with them.

I don't want to divulge their info without them doing so.

But basically there is a totally independent and regulated trust involved that sets up sub-trusts in a persons name.
    Yes i got that far .

But my concern is that the money has to go via a UK company and the UK company involved appears to be controlled by Mr Webster . The company correspondence i received all came from Mr Websters home address in canterbury.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X