• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Confused over expense claims/P11d"

Collapse

• Lumiere
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyPlanIT View Post
    If your P35 was filed declaring that no P11d was due then no worry. However if you are due to submit one the payment deadline for class 1a NICs was 19th July.

There is a MONTHLY penalty of £100.

I would check with your accountant if one was due.
    Thanks Sally.

The accountant insists there is no need to submit one at all, as there were no BIK expenses.

(but I paid lots of travel expenses from my personal cards during the year - was eventually reimbursed by the company)

Leave a comment:

• SallyPlanIT
    replied
    Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    What is the deadline for P11D filling, just wandering why my accountant hasn't asked me yet to provide my expenses records for 09/10 tax year ?
    If your P35 was filed declaring that no P11d was due then no worry. However if you are due to submit one the payment deadline for class 1a NICs was 19th July.

There is a MONTHLY penalty of £100.

I would check with your accountant if one was due.

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Originally posted by *Clare* View Post
    If you add an expense to section N of the P11D then it shouldn't be taxable, therefore no need to add it to your tax return.
    Ermmmm..... why does it say "Taxable payment" at the top of the 3rd column in section N then?

Where does it say (on HMRC's website or elsewhere) that expenses added to section N of the P11D shouldn't be taxable?

I am curious as i have just received my first P11D from an umbrella company.

Leave a comment:

• SackmanandCo
    replied
    we've never had a dispensation refused from any of our clients

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I read about these but always thought they were for larger companies with complex expense logging systems.
    I use Freeagent for all of my accounts and expenses, but I still needed to produce a complicated excel pivot table to capture my many hundreds of expense accounts and categories - took me a full day to sort it all out.
    A small company can still get a dispensation, but it may be more difficult. One of the requirements of gaining a dispensation is that you have an independent system in place for checking the amounts being claimed - as a one man limited company this is more difficult to prove, especially if your accountant is not checking the receipts either.

HMRC may also not give a dispensation covering everything - they may allow it for entertainment, but not for subsistence for example. Overall, this wouldn't save a huge amount of time as you'd still have to do your analysis.

HM Revenue & Customs: Dispensations

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by SackmanandCo View Post
    dispensations are really useful- saves on admin and can apply on line. HMRC will nearly always accept them
    Thanks for the tip, I read about these but always thought they were for larger companies with complex expense logging systems.
    I use Freeagent for all of my accounts and expenses, but I still needed to produce a complicated excel pivot table to capture my many hundreds of expense accounts and categories - took me a full day to sort it all out.

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    I have never been able to work out where on the self assessment form you can offset the taxable benefit (when there is none) after adding the P11d details.
    It always seems to want to tax me more when I add the P11d details even though they were all legitimate expenses.
    If you add an expense to section N of the P11D then it shouldn't be taxable, therefore no need to add it to your tax return.

HMRC will often deduct it from your tax code, but it's simply a case of calling them and asking them to remove the incorrect adjustment.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    I have never been able to work out where on the self assessment form you can offset the taxable benefit (when there is none) after adding the P11d details.
    It always seems to want to tax me more when I add the P11d details even though they were all legitimate expenses.

Leave a comment:

• zedAccounts
    replied
    My company has a dispensation and I have not submitted a P11D ever.

ZED.

Leave a comment:

• SackmanandCo
    replied
    dispensations are really useful- saves on admin and can apply on line. HMRC will nearly always accept them

Leave a comment:

• diesel
    replied
    When Brooksons were my accountants they used to prepare a P11d letter and form each year.

however, new accountant recommends i dont need to do this, and gave me words for a letter to HMRC requsting Dispensation from P11d, which they granted.
    Cant remember all the justification, but something around its not a BIK such a company car hence dispensation requested.

Leave a comment:

• SackmanandCo
    replied
    6th july

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    What is the deadline for P11D filling, just wandering why my accountant hasn't asked me yet to provide my expenses records for 09/10 tax year ?

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by SackmanandCo View Post
    Technically it does need to go on P11d but you can apply for a dispensation to avoid the paperwork. HMRC do actually encourage this.

The point of a dispensation is to allow you to not declare non-taxable items. With a mobile phone this would only be the case if the business were purely paying for identifiable business calls, not if it were paying the whole bill.

HM Revenue & Customs: Telephones - mobile

Leave a comment:

• SackmanandCo
    replied
    Technically it does need to go on P11d but you can apply for a dispensation to avoid the paperwork. HMRC do actually encourage this.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X