• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "SIPP recommendations please"

Collapse

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    I went with Sippdeal (not SippdealExtra which is something different) because they are cheapest for me. I invest in investment trusts or ETFs, but not unit trusts/OEICS. I don't know if Hargreaves are any cheaper for unit trusts.

The trading platform is a bit simple, but as I intend to only make one trade per quarter, it's not a big deal.

I suspect that Alliance Trust may now be the cheapest for unit trusts, they are definitely one of the options that should be checked.

Who is cheapest for unit trusts will come down to who rebates the most commission that fund managers pay them out of the fund management charges. I may be mistaken, but I think Alliance trust were going to offer an option where they rebated all commission.

If I were to invest exlusively in unit-linked funds I would use a Legal & General stakeholder, provided it's opened via a discount Broker like Cavendish online you can get fund management charges down to 0.5% a year. How many bond or property unit trusts charge that little? Of course the variety of funds available is less, but my investment philosophy only requires about three different kinds of funds to be available to me.

Edit: Just checked, Alliance trust claim to rebate 100% of commission.

http://www.alliancetrust.co.uk/allia...selectsipp.htm
    Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 16 January 2009, 13:35.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Work out where you are likely to be putting your money first and compare charges.

For me I went Sippdeal because I am investing LTBH directly in shares and they (unlike HL) have zero charge for their nominee service.

Leave a comment:

• DonkeyRhubarb
    replied
    Hargreaves Lansdown are one of the cheapest, particularly if you intend to invest in funds (UTs and OEICs) rather than individual stocks. They don't charge commission on fund purchases or sales, and in most case they discount most, if not all, of the fund managers' upfront fees. I know loads of people who have SIPPs and ISAs with them and I've never heard any complaints.

I have a small SIPP with Sippdealxtra, with Selftrade as the nominated broker. I chose them because I wanted to "play" the stock market. Their dealing fees for individual stocks are a bit lower than HL, and IMO their dealing platform is a little bit better. But frankly there's not much in it.

To be honest, the most crucial decision is (just as with ISAs) not which SIPP wrapper you go for, but what you stick in it. IMO, this is where you should concentrate your research.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by dehydratedskulls View Post
    Hi peeps!

I'm thinking of setting up a SIPP.
    I see some ppl are using Hargreaves Lansdown.
    I was wondering if anyone had experience with any others
    (e.g. Interactive Investor )

Thanks!
    ds
    III had some bad publicity on its own forums when some people tried to buy and sell HBOS shares (and others from what I can recall), therefore leaving their investors in the lurch. I originally considered III as an option, but got persuaded to go to Hargreaves & Lansdown. I don't know if III are the cheapest, but I'm glad I am not with III.

Leave a comment:

• dehydratedskulls
    started a topic SIPP recommendations please

SIPP recommendations please

Hi peeps!

I'm thinking of setting up a SIPP.
    I see some ppl are using Hargreaves Lansdown.
    I was wondering if anyone had experience with any others
    (e.g. Interactive Investor )

Thanks!
    ds

Working...
X