• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Low salary to myself?"

Collapse

• diesel
    replied
    i raised this quesion on another thread

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ome-pay-4.html

As my accountant recommends i get paid (outside IR 35) Directors fee and remaining monies as Divis. But i come across other contractors with different accountants who recommended min. wage and divis. My accountant said Dir' fee and divi is most efficient way to keep tax and NI payments low......but as most of us trying to be on the ball to make sure the advice i get is correct and they are not pushing me into a easy option for them but can put me on HMRC radar.

Leave a comment:

• QwertyBerty
    replied
    Originally posted by dmini View Post
    That is one accountant's view.
    Other accountants views are that you should pay a "reasonable" salary, then dividends. Their view, backed up by unofficial conversations with HMRC inspectors, is that they are less likely to spend huge amounts of time investigating for little gain.
    Doesn't this further suggest that one should only ever have short contracts (up to 6 months) at as many different clients as possible in order to avoid becoming a juicy target for IR35 investigation? Once HMRC see they have to trawl through a dozen contracts at a dozen different clients over 5 years, they may be less inclined to proceed.

QB.

Leave a comment:

• Bumfluff
    replied
    Last edited by Bumfluff; 26 October 2008, 23:53.

Leave a comment:

• dmini
    replied
    That is one accountant's view.
    Other accountants views are that you should pay a "reasonable" salary, then dividends. Their view, backed up by unofficial conversations with HMRC inspectors, is that they are less likely to spend huge amounts of time investigating for little gain. More potential gain=more effort!

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by Mor4 View Post
    Wouldn't hector get suspicious ?
    Why would he? You are doing everything legally.

Leave a comment:

• Mor4
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    No the most tax efficent way would be to pay youself bubkiss by way of PAYE.

The tax free allowance has already go so take everything for the rest of this as dividends and nothing as PAYE.
    Wouldn't hector get suspicious ?

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    Just the dividends plus the minimum amount PAYE and declare it on the self assessment and pay whatever tax I owe.
    No the most tax efficent way would be to pay youself bubkiss by way of PAYE.

The tax free allowance has already go so take everything for the rest of this as dividends and nothing as PAYE.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    What would you pay yourself if your tax-free allocation was already used up before you started your LTD ?
    Just the dividends plus the minimum amount PAYE and declare it on the self assessment and pay whatever tax I owe.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    What would you pay yourself if your tax-free allocation was already used up before you started your LTD ?
    Bupkiss.

Leave a comment:

• Mor4
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    No. Some Contractors maybe IR35 caught, and therefore are taxed on 95% of their Business income. For those who are not IR35 caught, it is usually good practice for tax efficiency.

Not always... see my comment above. If you are looking to be tax efficient, and are not IR35 caught, it is the best way forward. It is dependant on what your objectives are.

Yes. The less you pay yourself, the less tax you give to HMRC. I pay myself £450 p/m. I could take a further £50+ a month based on my tax code, but would end up paying £200+ a month in NI (Total for Employee and Employer). That £200+ could be used to pay for expenses or extra divi's later on, so I decided not to take the extra £50+.
    Last edited by Mor4; 26 October 2008, 13:45.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by kellycell View Post
    Hello,

My accountant quoted me a salary firgure that I should take out every month. My question is, is this salary figure, the same across all contractors?
    No. Some Contractors maybe IR35 caught, and therefore are taxed on 95% of their Business income. For those who are not IR35 caught, it is usually good practice for tax efficiency.

Is it best to take out a low salary to yourself and get the rest paid in dividends?
    Not always... see my comment above. If you are looking to be tax efficient, and are not IR35 caught, it is the best way forward. It is dependant on what your objectives are.

Does the NI/Tax figure that I will have to pay to HMRC, depend on the amount of salary I take out every month?

Many thanks.
    Yes. The less you pay yourself, the less tax you give to HMRC. I pay myself £450 p/m. I could take a further £50+ a month based on my tax code, but would end up paying £200+ a month in NI (Total for Employee and Employer). That £200+ could be used to pay for expenses or extra divi's later on, so I decided not to take the extra £50+.

Leave a comment:

• kellycell
    started a topic Low salary to myself?

Low salary to myself?

Hello,

My accountant quoted me a salary firgure that I should take out every month. My question is, is this salary figure, the same across all contractors?

Is it best to take out a low salary to yourself and get the rest paid in dividends?

Does the NI/Tax figure that I will have to pay to HMRC, depend on the amount of salary I take out every month?

Many thanks.

Working...
X