• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How much is a reasonable mortgage?"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    August report for Edinburgh. Sales volume like everywhere else has shrunk for starter properties however top end of the market is still doing well. Generally values are holding if not increasing.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    dam tooting it is
    Are prices still rising in Tooting?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post

that's alright then
    dam tooting it is

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    England's market

In Edinburger prices are still rising.

that's alright then

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Lazylobster View Post
    The UK housing market is toast. We're already circa 10% down YOY
    England's market

In Edinburger prices are still rising.

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    A good contract rate for me would 500 a day but could be as low as 250.

Why would you work for 250 when you can get 500 That's a massive difference and it makes as little sense as your massive mortgage logic.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I have just taken out a mortgage of £380k.

You won't be retiring any time soon then eh
    BP?

My offset was down to £130k but now rising rapidly due to the building works at Moorfield Towers.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I have just taken out a mortgage of £380k.

Leave a comment:

• Lazylobster
    replied
    Stay out, rent for a couple more years. Stash that cash and job done.

The UK housing market is toast. We're already circa 10% down YOY. Lots of evidence to suggest this is going to get a lot, lot worse.

So, sit back, relax, take it easy.

For a somewhat bias read, try http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk a lot of people on this site get it right more often than the so called economists.

I sold the last of my property in Jan 07. Pretty much spot on. The housing market is usually like an oil tanker, takes time to slow down and go into reverse. The speed at which this market is correcting is somewhat scary.

Pay the rent, at the end of the day, you don't want to buy into a depreciating asset.

LL
    Last edited by Lazylobster; 22 August 2008, 18:39.

Leave a comment:

• GreenerGrass
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    There are only 2 of you - if I was in your shoes I would :

1) Keep saving. Wait a few years for property prices to fall 40%
    2) The just buy a regular house to live in. You will be able to get plenty of house for a price of under £300k
    3) At the same time buy an investment property with the amount of cash/mortgage that you would have otherwise spent on a more expensive house for yourself.
    4) Wait a few years for prices to rise.
    5) Get married, have some kids (or vice versa).
    6) Upgrade to bigger house, which you will need by then.

A mortgage of £300k is a horrendous burden to put you and your girlfriend under. I have mates with mortgages of £220k and they worry day and night.

I pretty much agree with the above (except 5). Wait a couple of years for things to bottom out - although I reckon it'll be closer to a 25% drop in total - and only buy something you could still afford the payments on if you had to go back to permie.

If you hate being a landlord you can always sell any investment property after a few years and use the equity to either pay down your mortgage or buy something bigger if required.
    In tax-avoidance terms the "just one big house for yourself" approach would mean zero capital gains tax in the future, but since they reduced CGT it's less of an issue.

Leave a comment:

• Money Money Money
    replied
    What the hells the point of buying a house now???

Why not wait till house prices hit rock bottom?

Rent your dream house in the mean time!

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by chicane View Post
    What's wrong with getting a flexible mortgage, and then paying it off as quickly as possible to minimise the interest paid? Best of both worlds.
    Now that is a good idea.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by blacjac View Post
    So you'd rather pay tripple the amount over something like 20 - 30 years because 6 years is too long?
    What's wrong with getting a flexible mortgage, and then paying it off as quickly as possible to minimise the interest paid? Best of both worlds.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by DieScum View Post
    Yeah, I don't think the amount of time to save up would be reasonable. Could maybe save up for a cheaper interim place but even then I still have to live somewhere when saving and the rent is going to be roughyl the same as the interest on somewhere.

It does sound a nice idea but the timespan is just too long.

I'd also hope to gain from house price rises (ha! obv not right now) and the debt being worn down by inflation.
    So you'd rather pay tripple the amount over something like 20 - 30 years because 6 years is too long?

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Dang right that's manageable -where are you getting such a rate?
    Funnily enough, my first mortgage was around 2k a tyear.
    But then, the house cost just under 40 grand.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X