• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How to avoid ruin due to broken marriage?"

Collapse

• DonkeyRhubarb
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    WHS

Unfortunately.

The "right girl" when you are 25 may not be the right when you are 45. Who can tell?
    Surely the right girl when you are 45 is a girl who is 25?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    but I did all that!

shame she became physically ill followed by mentally ill. I accept people change as time goes by - but to go off the rails? Its just not cricket.
    WHS

Unfortunately.

The "right girl" when you are 25 may not be the right when you are 45. Who can tell?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    marriage is supposed to be for life, thats why theres no real safe guards in place in the event of failure.
    The only real way to protect yourself is to make sure its the right girl, work at the marriage and keep in mind that no ones perfect.
    but I did all that!

shame she became physically ill followed by mentally ill. I accept people change as time goes by - but to go off the rails? Its just not cricket.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    marriage is supposed to be for life, thats why theres no real safe guards in place in the event of failure.
    The only real way to protect yourself is to make sure its the right girl, work at the marriage and keep in mind that no ones perfect.

So guys, if you want this -> Don't forget plenty of this ->

Leave a comment:

• synoniv
    replied
    Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
    So how does a young bachelor boy in contracting protect himself from this potential situation? Is there a nifty IOU situation with parents that can be invoked should she walk out and demand all she can get. Or where can one put money aside for the future safe from a dodgy ex-wife getting her grubby hands on it- are personal pensions safe? should money go into some kind of family trust?
    oh boy ! As a 'safe' solution, I'm sure you haven't thought of marrying an 'assetfull' & rich girl and then find way of transfering her assets to anonymised entities(here i mean wealth ok!) before break up If you are good in 'something' marriages still work

Leave a comment:

• Lewis
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DonkeyRhubarb
    replied
    oppps - you did say 18 months - so I assume no children? In that case I reckon more like 30-40%. If over 7 years it would be 50%...
    Yes 18 months, no kids. I don't think I'll mention the "30-40%" figure as she may have a nervous breakdown. Maybe they are just going through a rough patch and things will work themselves out. She says he has changed since they got married but I bet quite a few people say that!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied

How long marriage? Any children? Starting point is White vs White (2000) which is 50%...
    oppps - you did say 18 months - so I assume no children? In that case I reckon more like 30-40%. If over 7 years it would be 50%...

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    Unfortunately, I think she assumed that because the house was in her name then it still belonged to her.

I don't know how much he would be entitled to in a settlement but since she has no savings or other assets to pay him off, she would probably be forced to sell the family home.
    How long marriage? Any children? Starting point is White vs White (2000) which is 50%...

Leave a comment:

• DonkeyRhubarb
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Are they still together? Do they love each other?
    They are still together but the relationship has deteriorated in the 18 months since they got married. She was living at home with her parents and felt lonely and vulnerable after they died. Initially I think she was just glad to have some company and it came as a complete surprise to everyone when they announced that they'd got married. Unfortunately, I think she assumed that because the house was in her name then it still belonged to her.

I don't know how much he would be entitled to in a settlement but since she has no savings or other assets to pay him off, she would probably be forced to sell the family home.

Not a good situation.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    A female friend of ours inherited a country estate (c. £1.5M) from her parents. She befriended a pennyless bloke after her parents died, who moved in with her and helped her look after the place. After a couple of years she agreed to marry him. Even though the house is still in her name, her solicitor has advised her that it would probably have to be sold to pay him off if they ever got divorced.

She now appreciates the significance of the marriage vows for richer, for poorer, for better, for worse...

However, he seems quite happy!
    Are they still together? Do they love each other?

Leave a comment:

• DonkeyRhubarb
    replied
    A female friend of ours inherited a country estate (c. £1.5M) from her parents. She befriended a pennyless bloke after her parents died, who moved in with her and helped her look after the place. After a couple of years she agreed to marry him. Even though the house is still in her name, her solicitor has advised her that it would probably have to be sold to pay him off if they ever got divorced.

She now appreciates the significance of the marriage vows for richer, for poorer, for better, for worse...

However, he seems quite happy!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Damn right, me neither! If you put money before love, even when you're in love, then you deserve neither.
    tis true. but you also have to ask the motivation of the person you are in love with - if there is a mismatch of money. it has been known for men and women to fake love - and not just for money. take the case of a homosexual man who wants to be married for respectability. it is v v unfair - but it does happen.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Love is something you can't plan for.

You just take a leap and hope it works.

I'm divorced, will it stop me from wanting to get married again and trying for kids?

Nope, it won't.

Make the best of it boys and girls, it's only money and contrary to popular belief, you can't take it with you.
    Damn right, me neither! If you put money before love, even when you're in love, then you deserve neither.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X