• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Company bike

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Company bike"

Collapse

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    Originally posted by aceboy View Post
    Many Thanks, so it may be worth my while then
    I wrote to HMRC about this. They replied saying the following:

>The 20% BIK is the actual cost of the bike to the company (Inc VAT)
    >Servicing, tyres, insurance, protective clothing etc is added in to the above for that year
    >BIK is offset by the ratio of Business V Private mileage (I didn't think this was right but I have a letter from HMRC stating it)
    VAT is re-claimable by the company if charged

Leave a comment:

• Rialto99
    replied
    Thanks for the tips.....not really worth it then
    no not really!

Leave a comment:

• aceboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Archangel View Post
    The benefit on a motorbike is on the market value of the asset when first provided, so 20% of £2000 in this case.

The "list price" is only for cars, vans (and I think, mobile phones.)

See paragraph 6.7 in http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/guidance/480.pdf
    Many Thanks, so it may be worth my while then

Leave a comment:

• EvilWeevil
    replied
    Originally posted by Archangel View Post
    The benefit on a motorbike is on the market value of the asset when first provided, so 20% of £2000 in this case.

I stand corrected.

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    Originally posted by EvilWeevil View Post
    Yes.

And the BIK is still on the list price of £5200.

Leave a comment:

• aceboy
    replied
    Thanks for the tips.....not really worth it then

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by EvilWeevil View Post
    Yes.

Correct.

So the BIK is £1040.

Also I think you pay BIK on anything provided for it. So you also pay BIK on fuel unless you repay the comapny and I think BIK on any leathers.

Leave a comment:

• aceboy
    replied
    Blimey.....perhaps it isn't so good. So basically my company buys an asset for 2k but I get taxed as though it is 5200?

Leave a comment:

• EvilWeevil
    replied
    the bike is a second had one, when new in 2002 it was 5200, the current market value is about 2k
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

• aceboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    The BIK is on the bikes list price not current price. So £2k seems a little low.
    the bike is a second had one, when new in 2002 it was 5200, the current market value is about 2k

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    We had a company bike...but she left some time ago!!! it's a shame, as I really miss the fun we used to have in the comms room on the 5th floor

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    The BIK is on the bikes list price not current price. So £2k seems a little low.

Leave a comment:

• aceboy
    started a topic Company bike

Company bike

Hi All

I am just starting to think about moving away from using my motorbike as a personal vehicle and transferring it into the company, this is being drive by rising fuel costs and the fact that 24p per mile is no longer that good.

So here are the figures:

Bike Value = £2000
    BIK = 20% of value per annum = £400
    Annual depreciation 25%
    Service costs (inc tyres) £350 per annum
    Miles = 8800
    Insurance = £200

Now as a personal vehicle I can claim £2112. but the fuel works out to roughly £1000

Is is worth transferring this into the company. I can legitimately claim safety equipment (leathers, helmet...etc) as well

Working...
X