• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Mandatory Holidays

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mandatory Holidays"

Collapse

• moorfield
    replied
    Update... the variation agreement is ok'd by Qdos. Think the pimp has just put a typo on the payment terms which I'll correct myself. Pretty happy with that all things considered, and I'm on a 4 day week for the summer.

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    "Payment will be exclusive of any VAT which may be chargeable. "

Either they meant to say "inclusive" or they mean they'll pay the VAT seperatly - either way they have to pay it to you so you can pay to Hector.

I'd call them up to clarify...

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    Just agreed a 4 day week July -> September.

I'm on a 2 day week here till October, which cuits me down to the ground. Means i get three days a week extra for plan b. (Heir and spare)

Leave a comment:

• Lewis
    replied

No that's not fair! Well done, am very jealous

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Quick update from me ....

Our invoicing days have been capped at 220 days/year, backdated to Jan 2008, for year 2008. Got the variation agreement from pimps today, so that is going off to Qdos for their opinion tomorrow.

The payment terms have also varied slightly, and this one puzzles me - opinions please!

Payments for the Services shall me made in accordance with the Agreed Rate and with the authorised timesheets. Payment will be exclusive of any VAT which may be chargeable.
    So now I find myself in the happy position of having to fit in 25 non invoicing days in the next 6 months!
    Last edited by moorfield; 11 June 2008, 15:01.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by chris79 View Post

Ts&Cs - incorrect use of '.

10 PRINT "The information is already out there, why are you asking dumb questions stupid newbie?"
    20 GO TO 10

or

10 PRINT "The information is already out there, why are you asking dumb questions stupid newbie?": RUN

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied
    Originally posted by Mustang View Post
    Or who only focus on the contract T's&C's and act in a manner that takes them inside IR35!!

Ts&Cs - incorrect use of '.

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Lewis View Post
    yet don't have any cover in place for defence costs.
    Or who only focus on the contract T's&C's and act in a manner that takes them inside IR35!!

Leave a comment:

• Lewis
    replied
    As I have a slight concern about how this is might be worded in renewed contracts here, I was idly chatting this morning to another contractor here (not Lucinda, sadly, but a good approximation) who has just renewed, about her new contract terms.

"Oh I don't really know, I didn't bother looking".

So the conversation moved on to more general matters such as IR35, Arctic Systems etc.

"Oh I don't really know, what's IR35?". (I am not joking).

I am continually coming accross seasoned contractors who know all about IR35 yet don't have any cover in place for defence costs. I find that just as strange.

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    My own take on this is a couple of points:

1) Your contract is with the agency. The agency have a contract with the end client. If the end client wants to do this then the agency would need to sign a form with the end client and the agency would have to sign an amendment and negotiate it with you/YourCo

2) What they are effectively saying is "I want you to do X amount of work in 47 weeks for Y pounds" rather than "x amount of work in 52 weeks for Y pounds". If that is the case, I would rather have a new contract spelling that out rather than some underhanded method like this.

In my opinion, the end result is the same, but this is a more business like approach.

Leave a comment:

• Lewis
    replied
    Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to insist I get the new clause (correctly worded) added as an amendment to the agency contract I have already signed.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    As I have a slight concern about how this is might be worded in renewed contracts here, I was idly chatting this morning to another contractor here (not Lucinda, sadly, but a good approximation) who has just renewed, about her new contract terms.

"Oh I don't really know, I didn't bother looking".

So the conversation moved on to more general matters such as IR35, Arctic Systems etc.

"Oh I don't really know, what's IR35?". (I am not joking).

Leave a comment:

• Integrity
    replied
    Recently I hired sales, marketing and graphic design expertise for my business. We agreed what was required moving forward, and the work was completed in stages. During one key part of the project, it was necessary to suspend the work for a period of time. The individual pieces of work that were in progress were completed, and work that hadn't started was suspended for a couple of months.

This is business, and the way business works. The client is the one paying they bill, they get to chose what they pay for. If they don't want your services during a 5 week period, don't provide them. However you choose to look at it, "He you pays the piper choses the tune!", and that will always be the case.

Your responsibilty is to decide how services will be provided. If someone in a restaurant wants egg and chips for breakfast, they want egg and chips, and they want it for breakfast. Arguing about what they eat, and when the eat it is not your concern, just as how you cook chips and eggs is your business.

Perhaps the mature option from your business perspective is to write a formal letter confirming that services to be provided by your business will be suspended as discussed until an agreed time in the future when services will resume.

As for the 3 party contract, I don't really have any comments, other than to ask if the client will actually sign the contract, or are they just named in it?

Integrity

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied
    I think some people take IR35 too seriously. If the client is requesting that you do -not- work for a specified time, then as a business you should be able to accommodate their wishes in the interest of keeping business with them?.. like the previous poster, the chances of it ever coming to light are pretty much nil. Just say that YOU dictated to them you would not be working these weeks if anyone ever asks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X