• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Reclaiming Mobile Phone cost"

Collapse

• Archangel
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    I think you may infer wrong. Can't find it on HMRC at the moment but the situation for pay/go is different *but I can't remember in exactly what way.
    I think it says that your company cannot reimburse the cost of a mobile, only the calls. So if the company provides one (i.e. the company pays) then ok, but if you pay for it yourself you can't claim it as an expense.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by Hex View Post
    See here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM21779.htm

They say: In most circumstances the provision of one mobile 'phone to a director or employee for private use is exempt from charge. The exemption covers the phone itself, any line rental and the cost of private calls paid for by the employer on that phone.

I would infer that the company can buy a PAYG phone for you without a BIK.
    I think you may infer wrong. Can't find it on HMRC at the moment but the situation for pay/go is different *but I can't remember in exactly what way.

Leave a comment:

• Hex
    replied
    See here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM21779.htm

They say: In most circumstances the provision of one mobile 'phone to a director or employee for private use is exempt from charge. The exemption covers the phone itself, any line rental and the cost of private calls paid for by the employer on that phone.

I would infer that the company can buy a PAYG phone for you without a BIK.

Leave a comment:

• dmini
    replied
    If its PAYG you cannot get it as a contract in yourco name - so unless you do all payments directly from your it MAY not be allowable. Or better put, you can claim it back, but it probably becomes a BIK. Better to get a contract phone in yourco name - that is definitely fully allowable.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Get a contract in your company name rather than your own and pay the bill from your company bank account.

Leave a comment:

• wildkat
    replied
    Is this also true for a handset only (I will spend about £300 on the latest handset thats completely sim free)?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Frog Morton View Post
    Newcomer here looking to set up as Ltd Co in a few months time. I need to buy a new PAYG mobile phone now and wondering whether I can reclaim the cost of the phone as a business expense (as I will predominantly use for business), when I setup Co in 2/3 months time.
    Yes you can.

Leave a comment:

• Frog Morton
    started a topic Reclaiming Mobile Phone cost

Reclaiming Mobile Phone cost

Newcomer here looking to set up as Ltd Co in a few months time. I need to buy a new PAYG mobile phone now and wondering whether I can reclaim the cost of the phone as a business expense (as I will predominantly use for business), when I setup Co in 2/3 months time.

Working...
X