• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: The Pay Hub

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Pay Hub"

Collapse

• Saphirex
    replied
    Ok then....

So I contract on a day rate for all my digital stuff which I do mostly on client site and write off the usual costs, travel, sustance etc. (they also allow me up to £35 per month for stationary -thought it was per week but checked and its per month)....

but then I get an order for an art piece and have to use paints, canvas, brushes, materials etc and this can add up to £2000 for a piece or series I might charge £7k for. Now since a lot of the materials will have been bought on spec say 6 months before or sourced from various places and used across serveral jobs some times....

I also do sample art on spec and of course some stuff is just practice and all that eats up materials as well as higher software costs.

Non of the umbrella companies seem to deal with that very well. All they understand is time sheets and their scheme - which is 80% of my income but another 20% is one off invoices - no time sheet and direct expenses that match their scheme... and a stack of bills for £125 paintbrushes which I need to write off some how without waiting a year for the tax end.

S

Leave a comment:

• Saphirex
    replied
    Missing the point

Hi there,

Everyone's situation is different and as I work as a commercial artist some expenses as new brushes, paints, canvases, frames etc are not covered. I charge a day rate for my time for commissions but I still have to write off stuff that is not client billable - a paint brush might last 10 jobs or one depending... My accountant says these things are stationary and I am only allowed to include paper and pens to about no more than £35 per week - not £125 on one brush!

So the pay hub seems ideal for these kind of situations.

The question I have is to with whether these are honest enough to pay me when the money hits their account or whether they are fly by night morons who are going to disappear when a nice tidy sum is in there account.

I could be putting through an invoice for £7,000 for a painting I sold that has about 2k worth of expenses and get bugger all back.

Anybody actually used them?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    What a lenient spam policy this site has. Someone with Posts = 1 tells you he's going to use a new service that will make you money, but you have to pay someone else 5% to get in. Hmm, this time it might be genuine.
    Oh, you cynic!

I think that as a spamming exercise, it's failed somewhat (apart from now having another link), given the responses to the original post.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    What a lenient spam policy this site has. Someone with Posts = 1 tells you he's going to use a new service that will make you money, but you have to pay someone else 5% to get in. Hmm, this time it might be genuine.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I'd love to, but the though of losing all the money I can claim back with my magic dispensation means that I'd be worse off through this one
    What a wise man you are

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    My thoughts exactly Faqqer - 50/50?
    I'd love to, but the though of losing all the money I can claim back with my magic dispensation means that I'd be worse off through this one

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Wow - why isn't everyone doing this?

Is there some kind of catch somewhere?

I think I'll jump in anyway - thanks for the tip, Lisa!!
    My thoughts exactly Faqqer - 50/50?

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    The Hay Pub?

Don't know it.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    Apparantly contractors can take home 95% of their earnings and benefits include:

No PAYE
    No National Insurance
    Nothing deducted at source
    No upper limit on business expenses and MSC and IR35 compliant.

If I have understood correctly you pay this Isle of Man company 5% of your earnings and then sort out your own tax
    Wow - why isn't everyone doing this?

Is there some kind of catch somewhere?

I think I'll jump in anyway - thanks for the tip, Lisa!!

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Apparantly contractors can take home 95% of their earnings and benefits include:

No PAYE
    No National Insurance
    Nothing deducted at source
    No upper limit on business expenses and MSC and IR35 compliant.

If I have understood correctly you pay this Isle of Man company 5% of your earnings and then sort out your own tax

Leave a comment:

• WindyAnna
    replied
    I got a spammage to my client site e-mail address from these lot today and I am far from happy about it ... also no idea where they would have got my client site e-mail address from as I do not use it except for client related stuff. Having said that my old chums at P4 had my client e-mail address so maybe it is in some way related to those nice people?!?

Leave a comment:

• WindyAnna
    replied
    Originally posted by Saphirex View Post
    Hi there,

I usually use an umbrella company but as I work overtime and have additional expenses not covered by the dispensation package I am looking to put through smaller invoices in through www.thepayhub.co.uk.

Hub Management Ltd.

This way I can write off some capital costs and then bank it and pay the taxes owning when the tax is due. Does anyone have any info on these guys. Seems strange that they do not have a proper phone number yet are advertising on major contracting sites?

S

Smells like spam!

Leave a comment:

• Crossroads
    replied
    Originally posted by Saphirex View Post
    expenses not covered by the dispensation package

Leave a comment:

• Hex
    replied
    Their website looks a little basic. It seems to be that they are operating as a Limited Company which pays its contractors as self employed. This fulfills the client/agency requirement of not paying you as self employed because they would be liable for any taxes you didn't pay. For their service they are taking 5% of your invoice amount.

This would suggest they are taking a risk that you do pay your self employed taxes correctly otherwise HMRC will come after then.

I've not seen anything like this before. I would be very cautious.

Leave a comment:

• Saphirex
    started a topic The Pay Hub

The Pay Hub

Hi there,

I usually use an umbrella company but as I work overtime and have additional expenses not covered by the dispensation package I am looking to put through smaller invoices in through www.thepayhub.co.uk.

Hub Management Ltd.

This way I can write off some capital costs and then bank it and pay the taxes owning when the tax is due. Does anyone have any info on these guys. Seems strange that they do not have a proper phone number yet are advertising on major contracting sites?

S

Working...
X