• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "what's best way to finance a car?"

Collapse

• css_jay99
    replied
    Damn!,
    My 17yr old BMW320i has giving up the ghost after 3weeks start on new contract doing 120miles daily motorway travel

My mechanic called me today saying it needs a head gasket change at the tune of £1000!. the car is only worth about £500 (M3 alloys hiking it up )

I love that car so much!. I now wished I renewed my previous contract which did not involve the use of my Car. Went on to less money, less hours just for my car to then desert me at time of need !

Drove a friend's Range Rover sports on the weekend and got depressed cos i knew I cant afford such a lovely card without haven to clean out my account.

I am thinking of the following cars (used of course )
    1) BMW X5
    2) BMW 5 series
    3) Honda CRV new shape

Thoughts on these please, expecially the X5.
    Does anyone like the new range Rover Discovery/Freelander 2 ?

css_jay99

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    Does it cost in to have one of these sub 120g cars?

Can you also still use a private car up yp 10k miles at 40p?

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Finance the car with a PCP. Then you can defer a lot of the cost into the balloon payment which will be in a different tax year.

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    What kind of justification do you need to get a van (pickup truck)?

Leave a comment:

• r0bly0ns
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Sorry to hijack

My car is less than 120g/km. When I finally get round to setting up a Ltd, would it be beneficial to me to sell the car to the company?
    I asked the same question of our accountant about a year ago. At the time he said that he would not advise to run a company car because of the increased national insurance implications.

In his opinion (at that time), you are always better off using a personally owned car and claiming mileage.

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    Thanks Dud. A better choice than I expected. Is it worth having one or better to claim the 40/25p?

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Sorry to hijack

My car is less than 120g/km. When I finally get round to setting up a Ltd, would it be beneficial to me to sell the car to the company?

Leave a comment:

• dude69
    replied
    Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre View Post
    Out of interest, which cars are less than 120g?
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=81

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    Out of interest, which cars are less than 120g?

Leave a comment:

• s2budd
    replied
    Cash.
    Failing that. Spend as little as possible.
    Don't forget, your buying something that depreciates faster than a packet of butter on a hot day. Only spend real wonga on things that increase in value.

Leave a comment:

• THEPUMA
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Show me some CC that have 0% transfer fee?

All the ones I have ever seen now have 2.5% - 3.5% handling charge on 0% transfers.

Link please?
    http://www.stoozing.com/0fees.htm

Leave a comment:

• poopscoop
    replied
    Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    it all seems complicated !

OK step 1. I have applied for a virgin card yesterday and been given a £15K limit

so i guess what i need to do now is get hat money into my bank account and then buy they car.

i am still keen on exploring idea of buying car via the company. any idea as to its effect/advantages.....?

css_jay99
    Virgin cards are usually MBNA cards. They allow you to transfer cash to bank accounts. They charge around 3% fee. Max fee is £50 if its a Virgin Atlantic card

Leave a comment:

• dude69
    replied
    18k is a lot to spend on a used car if you dont pay 40% tax

the only car worth puttingf through company is one under 120g CO2 as it's a 100% capex writedown and tiny BIK

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    How about Chinese payment plan......one lump sum

Pay cash...

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by THEPUMA View Post
    I've just done mine on 0% credit cards. Apply for a couple that charge 0% with no balance transfer fee. .
    Show me some CC that have 0% transfer fee?

All the ones I have ever seen now have 2.5% - 3.5% handling charge on 0% transfers.

Link please?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X