• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Worth starting a ltd company inside IR35?"

Collapse

• Bluebird
    replied
    As had been said on many, many treads before.

YOU CAN ONLY CLAIM EXPENSES FOR EXPENSES WHICH HAVE BEEN INCURRED AND YOU HAVE GOT A RECIEPT FOR - ANYTHING ELSE IS FRAUD.

Leave a comment:

• facboy
    replied
    who said anything about being under PAYE?

expense dispensations bring no tax benefit. it's just a way for the umbrella to reduce their paperwork. contrary to what people may tell you, an expense dispensation does not allow you to claim any and all expenses without a receipt. if hmrc come knocking, you still need the receipts.

Leave a comment:

• sathyaram_s
    replied
    You mean, expense dispensation ?

Originally posted by eddiegee View Post
    but the whole point of being under an umbrella is the tax benefits it brings isnt it?

Leave a comment:

• eddiegee
    replied
    but the whole point of being under an umbrella is the tax benefits it brings isnt it? you would not get that under normal PAYE conditions.

Leave a comment:

• dr_beat
    replied
    Very informative replies on the post! Cheers guys!

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by kirk View Post
    Tell that to the P4 contractors; why involve an intermediary if you don't have to?
    Exactly my opinion. Keep the chain as short as possible to minimise the risks.

Leave a comment:

• kirk
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Every single permie takes that risk. And even for contractors, you can say exactly the same thing for the agent and the client. When I was with Parasol a couple of years ago, they'd pay me the day they received the money from the agent. I'd be far more worried about the agent not paying than the umbrella.
    Tell that to the P4 contractors; why involve an intermediary if you don't have to?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    financial breakdown aside, a Ltd has got to be better on principle. With an umbrella you're relying on a company controlled by other people in order to pay you your own money - probably your entire income. Who'd take on that kind of risk voluntarily if they had a choice in the matter?
    Every single permie takes that risk. And even for contractors, you can say exactly the same thing for the agent and the client. When I was with Parasol a couple of years ago, they'd pay me the day they received the money from the agent. I'd be far more worried about the agent not paying than the umbrella.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    financial breakdown aside, a Ltd has got to be better on principle. With an umbrella you're relying on a company controlled by other people in order to pay you your own money - probably your entire income. Who'd take on that kind of risk voluntarily if they had a choice in the matter?

Leave a comment:

• westredd
    replied
    thanks guys, very helpful

Leave a comment:

• Robot
    replied
    Originally posted by westredd View Post
    Im currently under an umbrella company and they do my head in. I want to get out of them. They charge £120 a momth as well.

Im thinking of starting a limited company for my IT contract work, but im not sure if I will fall insdie IR35 or not. Probably shuld really fall inside when I think about my role.. Is it still worth going ltd for this? (inside IR35)

thanks
    Yes- 5 reasons

VAT flat rate profit
    5% allowance – you may make a small profit!
    The bank interest belongs to your company – Not the umbrella company.
    Accountancy fees will be cheaper than the £120 you are paying now.
    You should be able to reclaim travel and subsistence.

In addition, you will have access to the company funds; you do not have to pay anyone for a same day payment (well other than the normal bank charge)

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Yep - I assumed my contract would be within IR35, but I had it reviewed and it's not.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    You'd probably be better off with a Ltd., but to be honest if it was me I might feel that it wasn't worth the extra hassle. That's if you can find an umbrella you trust of course.

Don't assume you're inside IR35 though.

Leave a comment:

• westredd
    started a topic Worth starting a ltd company inside IR35?

Worth starting a ltd company inside IR35?

Im currently under an umbrella company and they do my head in. I want to get out of them. They charge £120 a momth as well.

Im thinking of starting a limited company for my IT contract work, but im not sure if I will fall insdie IR35 or not. Probably shuld really fall inside when I think about my role.. Is it still worth going ltd for this? (inside IR35)

thanks

Working...
X