• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Agency Requesting References"

Collapse

• spearfish
    replied
    Originally posted by Euro-commuter
    Even if it is a change of policy on the part of the agency, it is not obvious that you are obliged to agree with it.
    AS someone mentioned, the big finance companies require it. I wasn't able to start my current contract without a 5 year background check. If they don't get confirmed responses, you can't start work with them.. simple as that.

If you say no, you may find yourself not providing services to them anymore, simple really..

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by boxman
    As you've been with your client for 6 months already then I'd ask them outright whether this is indeed a change of policy or the agency is just fishing for new contacts to pester.
    Even if it is a change of policy on the part of the agency, it is not obvious that you are obliged to agree with it.

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    LOL

The Rec Consultant is trying it! He wants to do less work and wants names off your references so he can call them for business

Oldest trick in the book.

Leave a comment:

• Lewis
    replied
    Originally posted by el duder
    Just an update.

I gave them references. I gave them the contact details of the other agencies who i contracted through.

Perfect eh?
    Sheer genius

Leave a comment:

• el duder
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule
    Just an update.

I gave them references. I gave them the contact details of the other agencies who i contracted through.

Perfect eh?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet
    Just respond with.

"Sorry I dont have any previous experiance. I winged it past you and the client to land this job and I am learning as I go. Not ****ed up too much either, which makes a change"

Leave a comment:

• christhecontractor
    replied
    Been on a contract for 6 months now, agency has called me requesting references from my last 4 employers stating that i am obliged to give them.

What are my rights here, some of my past contracts have been less then 6 weeks.

Really i am only interested in giving them a minimum of 3 and of the more lengthy contracts i have had.

Thoughts?
    The last couple of places I have been at have asked for a full employment history and my adresses for last 10 years, which they used to do a credit check. I don't like it but these procedures seem to be standard now at least in big banks.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Just respond with.

"Sorry I dont have any previous experiance. I winged it past you and the client to land this job and I am learning as I go. Not ****ed up too much either, which makes a change"

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    now they are requesting info, due to the company i am working for has new policies and procedures.
    So they're saying it's for the client? Then say you'll only give them to the client. But I'd bet it isn't.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    From what you've told us the agency is almost certainly talking b*lls**t.

It sounds like a new and aggressive reference trawling technique on newbie (?) contractors. Probably a sign the market is a bit slow (for them).

Tell them "no". End of.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Yes, on the current contract of 6 months. They did not request any information when i started, now they are requesting info, due to the company i am working for has new policies and procedures.

i have no problem giving refs, but i am interested in knowing my rights as to what information i should and should not disclose.
    Ask then "why you are obliged to give them".

I expect that the reason will be "some made up reason that you can tell them to ignore".

tim

Leave a comment:

• boxman
    replied
    Do they mean employers or assignments?

If you're a contractor with your own limited company then ask them to write to your office address with a formal request and an authorised representative will consider their request. If such a request is actually forthcoming tell them that you can confirm that you've been working for the company for x years. If they're asking about clients/assignments then quote your company's confidentiality policy to them (i.e. non-disclosure).

If you've been a permie then you can either comply or check the terms of your contract if you feel that you don't want to accede to the reference request. Just be careful that the client isn't angling to get rid of you and is looking for an excuse to terminate. If you've got any contractors on site you might want to quietly sound them out.

As you've been with your client for 6 months already then I'd ask them outright whether this is indeed a change of policy or the agency is just fishing for new contacts to pester. If in doubt call the agency's bluff. If you're doing a good job and the client is happy they're not going to risk losing you at this stage in 99% of cases.

Just my 2p worth...

Leave a comment:

• el duder
    replied
    Originally posted by oxtailsoup
    What agency? The one you have been using for the last 6 months or a new one?
    Yes, on the current contract of 6 months. They did not request any information when i started, now they are requesting info, due to the company i am working for has new policies and procedures.

i have no problem giving refs, but i am interested in knowing my rights as to what information i should and should not disclose.

Leave a comment:

• oxtailsoup
    replied
    What agency? The one you have been using for the last 6 months or a new one?

Leave a comment:

• el duder
    started a topic Agency Requesting References

Agency Requesting References

Been on a contract for 6 months now, agency has called me requesting references from my last 4 employers stating that i am obliged to give them.

What are my rights here, some of my past contracts have been less then 6 weeks.

Really i am only interested in giving them a minimum of 3 and of the more lengthy contracts i have had.

Thoughts?

Working...
X