• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contractor & Insurance"

Collapse

• Lewis
    replied
    I joined www.ContactorAlliance.co.uk and got 20% of insurance through Caunce O'Hara. Seemed like a good deal but I didn't look around that much.

Leave a comment:

• ash
    replied
    Originally posted by ittony
    No, apparently you don't need ELI if company only employs the person who owns over 50% of it.

However, if you've found somewhere you can get it for pennies, unless you mean tens of thousands of pennies, I'd be interested to hear where.
    According to the quote Dallas Kirkland provided me online, £10k of ELI is thrown in free with my policy. I'm getting £100k PI, £1m PL and £10k for £160/year. Raising the PI to £250k ups the premium to around £220/year. I didn't experiment with £1m and £2m cover.

http://www.dallaskirkland.co.uk

Leave a comment:

• ittony
    replied
    Originally posted by Vito
    My understanding is that you need Public liability insurance to be legal...(which costs pennies)...but you do not need ELI as a small one-man band...the law changed in Feb '05
    No, apparently you don't need ELI if company only employs the person who owns over 50% of it.

However, if you've found somewhere you can get it for pennies, unless you mean tens of thousands of pennies, I'd be interested to hear where.

Leave a comment:

• Vito
    replied
    My understanding is that you need Public liability insurance to be legal...(which costs pennies)...but you do not need ELI as a small one-man band...the law changed in Feb '05

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Crossroads
    Some of what you are asking implies you are already are breaking the law - you are legally required to have ELI.
    I've never had any of them and last time I checked you didn't need any insurance. Has it changed !?

Beaten to it, pretty sure you don't need it !?

Leave a comment:

• ittony
    replied
    Originally posted by Crossroads
    Some of what you are asking implies you are already are breaking the law - you are legally required to have ELI.
    Are you sure about that? I gathered from a previous thread that it was not a legal requirement for one-man limited companies.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    If you're with the PCG you get a discount with their partner insurer - I think I pay about 250 per year for all.

Leave a comment:

• Vito
    replied
    I have just been advised by a contractor friend of mine that Hiscox is a good place to go for PI and PL Insurance and QDOS for IR35 Insurance...so thats where I'm headed for what it's worth...

Leave a comment:

• googleface
    replied
    At Last

Crossroads,

At last I receive a descriptive none condascending reply.

I can sympathise with peoples frustrations, but in the end this is a forum
    and we are free to ask/answer what we desire regardless of users tollerance to the same old questions.

But you are completely correct I must change my mindset and start being more independent as that is what I am from this time on, "an independent company"

I will take a look at the insurance company and again thanks.

Googleface

Leave a comment:

• Crossroads
    replied
    Hi Googleface, welcome to CUK.

Don't worry about SockPuppet, I think he and many others just get a little tired of the same old questions being asked all the time, especially when they start with "my agency says I have to...".

There are lots of good reasons for this, and it does annoy me from time to time too...

You're the Director of a Ltd Company, with legal obligations to various parties, including UK Gov, HMRC and your shareholders. Stop acting like an employee and doing as you are told, and start thinking and working for yourself.

It's a mindset, and if you cannot get into it, and then work to be in business in your own right, then you need to look at Umbrella PAYE instead.

Just to be a bit helpful:

I've used Dallas Kirkland (www.dallaskirkland.co.uk) in the past, however they only offer up to £1m, which isn't enough for some of my projects now.

Leave a comment:

• googleface
    replied
    SockMuppet

SockMuppet,

Nothing but condescending comments are posted by you, so put a f******* sock in it you muppet. I don't think your gettin enough, maybe spending less time at your computer screen with your **** in one hand and a sock in the other might help

All other posters thanks for the helpful, constructive comments.
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 23 April 2007, 09:10.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Don't be so swift to anger Sockpuppet!

He asked "Can anyone advise from personal experience"

not

"can you direct me to any old company whose web designer just happens to be good at search engine optimisation"

I use Caunce O'Hara but I've never had to claim on their policies so I've no idea how good they are (and hope to keep it that way!).

Leave a comment:

• weemster
    replied
    Stick with it me old mate - you do get a few on here with pmt.

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    Or..... go to the CUK home page and click on the Insurance link. Easy peasy.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied

Irony Overload. Someone named google face asking about a topic that could have been covered BY A ******* SEARCH YOU. I MEAN ITS NOT HARD. YOU TYPE "INSURANCE" INTO THE SODDING SEARCH BOX AND IT GIVES YOU ALL THE ******* INFO THAT YOU NEED.

I really hope this is a troll by a existing member as I cannot believe that anyone can be that ******* STUPID.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X