• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Giant Do Not Touch Giant Msc /umbrellla /limited"

Collapse

• Lewis
    replied
    Originally posted by breakz187
    I have to endure another 2.5 months of there rape?

Hope this isnt true but thanks for you advice anyhow.
    I'm no expert but I don't see why you can't move. The steps would be something like the following (in rough order):

(1) create new Ltd company (via accountant would be easy)
    (2) request new contract from agency with your new Ltd co name on it
    (3) optionally get a IR35 contract review from somewhere like QDOS
    (4) optionally take out IR35 insurance from somewhere like QDOS
    (5) sign contract
    (6) purchase employer liability and professional indemnity insurances (see other threads)
    (7) open company bank account (see other threads)
    (8) request P45 from Giant
    (9) find accountant and off you go ...

I would be extremely surprised if either (a) Giant didn't let you leave asap or (b) your agency wouldn't draft a new contract, this sort of thing happens all the time.

I don't know about the IR35 implications of moving from PAYE to Ltd but if you can secure IR35 insurance you have nothing to worry about anyway.

Leave a comment:

• breakz187
    replied
    I have to endure another 2.5 months of there rape?

Hope this isnt true but thanks for you advice anyhow.

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    If you're with Giant then you are probably on PAYE moving from PAYE.

You can still set up you own Ltd co and go with one of the accountants you state.

What I'd be wary of doing is moving from PAYE to a Ltd Company Divi/Salary method to maximise your income for this contract - do that on the next one IF you're outside IR35.

If you do change you need to get a new contract sorted - speak to your agent they should be happy to do this.

Leave a comment:

• breakz187
    replied
    These people are arseholes.

They charge lots and do feck all. They dont call back and dont even pay the correct amounts. Charge you for stuff witout explaining that there will be a charge (bank holiday advances etc).

Question:

Can i move from Giant to an Ltd even though I'm two weeks into my contract? Can i just start up with Nixon Williams or SJD and start limited? Will this flag me up big time with the taxman etc???

I have to leave these people.

Leave a comment:

• rawly
    replied
    Originally posted by bangface
    Lower fee of £28 per week???? Blimey what was it before they lowered it? £28 per week is still daylight robbery if you ask me.

There are so many other companies out there offering the same if not better service for a third of that cost!! Some poor newbies getting tucked up there for sure...

They should be called Giant Rip off imo!!!
    It was £35 per week with their Powerhouse product. Their now defunct Trailblazer would have worked out about £75 a week when you added in all the extras they were going to charge!

I only still get these emails as I'm waiting for them to send me my P45. I moved from them last week into a Ltd.

Leave a comment:

• bangface
    replied
    Originally posted by AnotherIan
    "The articles made the point that anybody operating through their own limited company, using a service provider like giant, (even one purporting to be a professional accountant) will be classed as a managed service company and all parties involved will face the frightening financial consequences. "

Case closed
    Even so £28 per week is an absolute rip off

Leave a comment:

• AnotherIan
    replied
    "The articles made the point that anybody operating through their own limited company, using a service provider like giant, (even one purporting to be a professional accountant) will be classed as a managed service company and all parties involved will face the frightening financial consequences. "

Case closed

Leave a comment:

• bangface
    replied
    Originally posted by rawly
    Here's Giants latest Newsflash email

Quality press warn of dangers of operating your own limited company

Over the Easter Holiday period 3 quality newspapers (The Times, Daily Telegraph and Financial Times) published articles on the impact of the Budget for contractors operating through their own limited company. The links are:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai...6/cntres06.xml
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/98345268-e6f...b5df10621.html
    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle1624028.ece

The articles made the point that anybody operating through their own limited company, using a service provider like giant, (even one purporting to be a professional accountant) will be classed as a managed service company and all parties involved will face the frightening financial consequences. As such the newspapers have supported and vindicated giant's decision to withdraw from the provision of one-man limited company services, by closing our trailblazer product, to avoid exposing our clients to potential financial ruin.

With effect from 6th April we have transferred you to our award winning umbrella service, giant strongbox without the need for any administration by yourself. You will continue to enjoy all the service benefits you had with giant powerhouse (personal 24/7 portal, client service manager, free CHAPS, money back guarantees, free insurances etc.) at the lower fee of £28 per week. Along with all the business expenses you previously claimed, in addition you will soon be able to claim daily allowances of up to £21 with giant strongbox, without the need to submit receipts to giant. Details will be on your input "non - billable expenses" screen on your portal.

Those clients that have already formed a company under the trailblazer service and have not yet requested us to refund their £30 fee and close their company should do so promptly. This will avoid the need to submit numerous returns (even if some are nil), which will be necessary if the company remains registered. The cancellation form is in your "trailblazer" portal
    Lower fee of £28 per week???? Blimey what was it before they lowered it? £28 per week is still daylight robbery if you ask me.

There are so many other companies out there offering the same if not better service for a third of that cost!! Some poor newbies getting tucked up there for sure...

They should be called Giant Rip off imo!!!

Leave a comment:

• rawly
    replied
    Here's Giants latest Newsflash email

Quality press warn of dangers of operating your own limited company

Over the Easter Holiday period 3 quality newspapers (The Times, Daily Telegraph and Financial Times) published articles on the impact of the Budget for contractors operating through their own limited company. The links are:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai...6/cntres06.xml
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/98345268-e6f...b5df10621.html
    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle1624028.ece

The articles made the point that anybody operating through their own limited company, using a service provider like giant, (even one purporting to be a professional accountant) will be classed as a managed service company and all parties involved will face the frightening financial consequences. As such the newspapers have supported and vindicated giant's decision to withdraw from the provision of one-man limited company services, by closing our trailblazer product, to avoid exposing our clients to potential financial ruin.

With effect from 6th April we have transferred you to our award winning umbrella service, giant strongbox without the need for any administration by yourself. You will continue to enjoy all the service benefits you had with giant powerhouse (personal 24/7 portal, client service manager, free CHAPS, money back guarantees, free insurances etc.) at the lower fee of £28 per week. Along with all the business expenses you previously claimed, in addition you will soon be able to claim daily allowances of up to £21 with giant strongbox, without the need to submit receipts to giant. Details will be on your input "non - billable expenses" screen on your portal.

Those clients that have already formed a company under the trailblazer service and have not yet requested us to refund their £30 fee and close their company should do so promptly. This will avoid the need to submit numerous returns (even if some are nil), which will be necessary if the company remains registered. The cancellation form is in your "trailblazer" portal

Leave a comment:

• AZZIK
    replied
    I requested it 30th March via my feedback section followed by a call to my CSM and 3rd April it arrived in the post.

Leave a comment:

• Burdock
    replied
    Originally posted by AZZIK
    I received my P45 within 3 days of requesting it . I am well chuffed after hearing about what everyone else had to go through.
    Hi Azzik,

When did you request it?

ta!

Leave a comment:

• AZZIK
    replied
    I received my P45 within 3 days of requesting it . I am well chuffed after hearing about what everyone else had to go through.

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    Another ex giant client here and glad to be free.

I am now with my own Ltd, many of the accountants I phoned round do not mention the higher rate tax on dividends!!

Leave a comment:

• InPrincipal
    replied
    I would agree, i used them for almost 3yrs and when anything goes wrong their customer service is non-existent. Patronizing, incompetent, discourteous and definitely over-priced. I only stayed because I was being renewed month-to-month and am a lazy s0d.

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    I'd go limited with a decent accountant every time. I had a limited about 5 years ago with a crap accountant and I couldn't wait to close it because the whole experience was made more painful because of this. Charges for late filing, etc.

I didn't know about this site and the PCG, so I went the MSC route for a while, but I think most of them are too much trouble. plus it's another link in the chain. You'll almost always discover admin errors and have to rectify them yourself. Ultimately, I had to put in more effort chasing their f**kups than running my own limited; hardly the point now, is it?

Umbrellas are ok I guess if all of your contracts fail IR35, but the market leader I spoke to wouldn't cater for the ones that pass; all payments received would be subject to full PAYE.

I've been running my own limited for a year now and I use SJD. I haven't looked back. In my opinion, and bitter experience, it's the only way, and the key for me was getting a good accountant. Total flexability.

HTH

Chug

Leave a comment:

Working...
X