• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Has Gordon dropped a clanger?"

Collapse

• Mickmanus
    replied
    Originally posted by Maxamus
    its paying corp tax on your bit of the flat rate vat that pisses me off!
    That should be excempt!
    Yes it bloody should be

Leave a comment:

• rawly
    replied
    I did say a 'saving on VAT' - it obviously wasn't in relation to gross income I do understand where your % comes from, however. The main point of this discussionm remember, was that there was a guy further up who seemed to think you only got it for IT software sales or whatever. He must be pretty miffed then he's been missing out on a 2.4-3.4%(overall) saving!

As I don't work as an 'IT Contractor', I'm not sure what category I'll fall into yet. I'm hoping for the 9% or 10% one !!!!

Leave a comment:

• Maxamus
    replied
    its paying corp tax on your bit of the flat rate vat that pisses me off!
    That should be excempt!

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by rawly
    Here's a link to the tables used by HMRC:

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...yType=document

As you can see an 'IT bod' gets 13% which I make out to be a 4.5% saving on the VAT. In the first year you also get a bonus 1% knocked off(12%) meaning you get a 5.5% saving on the VAT. If your manage to get classed in another category you pay even less.
    It is not quite that good.

IT Bod pays 13% on the gross (i.e. the invoice amount + the vat).

So, for an invoice of £1000 + £175 VAT under the flat rate scheme £1175 * 13% = £152.75 is due.

That is a saving of £22.25 or 2.225% of the invoice.

Oh yes, yourco then has to pay corporation tax on that £22.25. Not such a great saving after all but beats having to worry about adding and subtracting all the VAT on every item of income and expenditure.

Usual disclaimer - IANAA etc etc

EDIT - Obviously WHA is an accountant as he beat me to it

Leave a comment:

• philip@wellwoodhoyle
    replied
    Originally posted by rawly

As you can see an 'IT bod' gets 13% which I make out to be a 4.5% saving on the VAT. In the first year you also get a bonus 1% knocked off(12%) meaning you get a 5.5% saving on the VAT. If your manage to get classed in another category you pay even less.
    Oh dear!! The 13%(12%) is on the gross amount, whereas the 17.5% is on the net, so the difference is a lot less than 4.5/5.5% - in fact it is as mentioned a couple of posts back.

Leave a comment:

• rawly
    replied
    Originally posted by PAG
    by registering for flat rate you benefit by appx 3.4% for the first year. Then 2.4%.

Last edited by rawly; 27 February 2007, 19:50.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi
    Well it's clearly not working the further they push it the more people want to find ways to avoid it
    "The more you tighten your grip, the more star systems will slip through your fingers." - Princess Leia, 1977

Leave a comment:

• PAG
    replied
    by registering for flat rate you benefit by appx 3.4% for the first year. Then 2.4%.

Leave a comment:

• rawly
    replied
    Originally posted by pickle
    You might want to check your sums. Flat rate vat is worth a couple of percent to someone in the business of "software consultancy and supply" or similar.
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/BIM31585.htm

Leave a comment:

• pickle
    replied
    [QUOTE=rawly]

Next, he's pushed me out of MSC and into Ltd, and so now as another extra I also gain the benefits of Flat VAT, worth over 5%.
    [QUOTE]

You might want to check your sums. Flat rate vat is worth a couple of percent to someone in the business of "software consultancy and supply" or similar.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi
    For various reasons I have operated under an umbrella up until now but the measures that are about to come into effect have forced me to go down the ltd route, This will halve my tax liability as I see it so why did they bother? I'm sure my situation is in no way unique and I expect every other person under an umbrella to do the same.

Did they just assume we would put up with it? Are small ltd's next on the 'to do' list for GB?
    Back to the point I have made many times before.

The majority of MSC users are not HiTech workers. They are supply teachers, agency nurses, railway workers etc......

These people are not likely to incorporate.

Gordo is onto a winner.

You are caught in the flack.

tim

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    I think they will ditch IR35.

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by Diestl
    Or Expect the torys to be in power.
    They're going to change it all? Oh Ye of excessive faith!

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Or Expect the torys to be in power.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp
    My take on Gordon's crackdown on MSCs is that, in part, they want to try and define more clearly what a Personal Service Company is.

Expect IR35 MKII in 2008.
    Ditto. Start planning your exit strategies right now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X