• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Mortgage advice

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mortgage advice"

Collapse

• glashIFA@Paramount
    replied
    Originally posted by Euro-commuter
    It's effing ridiculous. I blame the Scottish Parliament.
    It's not the Scottish Parliament that are buying the properties at a rate of knots and pushing the prices up.

It's the old rule of economics - supply and demand. If everyone kept their money in their pockets prices would fall quick enough.

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    Originally posted by Euro-commuter
    The Scottish Parliament does seem to have set a new standard in property prices. Ahem.

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...ent/index.html

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    i blame the 'oh the banter james' types...

An agent I spoke to expects that the prices will double in town in ten years too. One place i asked about was sold the same week it was advertised. This is going to be fun i can tell...

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by glashIFA@Paramount
    Just to clarify - i didn't mean £300K was expensive for a 2 bed in Edinburgh, it's pretty reasonable really.

Leave a comment:

• glashIFA@Paramount
    replied
    Originally posted by glashIFA@Paramount
    EXPENSIVE!!!!
    Just to clarify - i didn't mean £300K was expensive for a 2 bed in Edinburgh, it's pretty reasonable really. i meant, as I'm sure you all know, Edinburgh is an expensive place to buy

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I'm looking in edinburgh for something not more than a 10 minutes walk from either haymarket or waverly, i think the 3 bed places must be going for over 350K - 300K for 2 bed seems to be typical for me requirements,

Leave a comment:

• glashIFA@Paramount
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot
    Lots of good info, will probably go the repayment route.

Right what's the Edinburgh market like, 2 bed property offers over 300K what's that all about.
    EXPENSIVE!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider
    There is in principal no financial advantage/disadvantage
    In principle.

prin·ci·pal
    –adjective. first or highest in rank, importance, value, etc.; chief; foremost.
    –noun. a chief or head.

prin·ci·ple
    –noun. a determining characteristic of something; essential quality.
    —Idioms. in principle, in essence or substance; fundamentally: to accept a plan in principle.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Lots of good info, will probably go the repayment route.

Right what's the Edinburgh market like, 2 bed property offers over 300K what's that all about.

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    Perhaps I could have made my original point more briefly.

There is in principal no financial advantage/disadvantage of a repayment mortgage versus interest-only. Repayment forces you to make regular automatic repayments, interest-only means you make payments at your discretion. In both cases you should be charged interest on the daily outstanding balance.

The difference is that a repayment mortgage forces you to repay a certain amount each month, whereas a flexible mortgage relies on you being disciplined enough with your money to make a repayment even when you'd rather spend it on a new PDA or whatever. So a flexi mortgage won't be good for someone who's money 'burns a hole in their pocket'.

We've got a smallish mortgage which is on an interest only basis with the option of overpaying up to £500 a month off the capital. It is always worth paying off the capital once the ISA's have been topped up, because there are few ways of saving which yield rates above that which we pay on our mortgage. ISA's currently take priority because our mortgage is on a discount rate which is slightly below the interest rate on the best cash ISA's, but I'm watching it carefully to ensure there is still a margin.

However, most normal taxed savings accounts simply aren't worth having if you also have a mortgage.

PS. If you have a repayment mortgage AND can afford to make regular overpayments, you'll see a significant effect on your monthly mortgage payment.

Leave a comment:

• glashIFA@Paramount
    replied

There is in principal no financial advantage/disadvantage of a repayment mortgage versus interest-only. Repayment forces you to make regular automatic repayments, interest-only means you make payments at your discretion. In both cases you should be charged interest on the daily outstanding balance.
    I'd nearly always prefer a repayment mortgage but over the maximum term available. That way the lender requires a lower set amount to be repaid each month and if you want to pay more you can - the important thing being, as already mentioned by the others, that you're in control of the level you pay rather than the lender insisting on an a higher amount.

You,ve also got the security of a repayment mortgage without having to rely on some sort of investment/ pension lump sum to repay it.

Just because you "sign up" to a long term doesn't mean you're stuck with it.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    I've always thought that repayments offer better value as on a interest only you are paying the interest on the whole thing.
    Only a madman would sign up to a mortgage like that - is there actually a mortgage anywhere in the UK that works like that?

In the late eighties/early nineties there were some old-fashioned lenders who only calculated interest once a year on the year-end balance, but since then I think nearly everyone has switched to calculating it on the daily balance. All my interest-only mortgages have always given me credit for repayments from the day they received the money. They may sometimes have only re-calculated the standard monthly payment once a year, but that doesn't affect the financial result, it just meant I was making slight automatic overpayments until they did the recalculation.
    Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 19 February 2007, 12:44.

Leave a comment:

• Fishface
    replied
    the problem with re-payment mortgages is that they 'front load' all the interest.

Meaning in about year 17 of the mortage you will eventually start to make serious chunks into the capital - before that its re-payment peanuts.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Offset tracker from the Woolwich, every bean you have in your account has the same effect as paying that amount off your mortgage total for that day.
    i.e. 60k mortgage + 5k in the bank - mortgage is treated as 55k for the day and interest charged accordingly.
    Only good for people generally in credit though. Also means you can reduce the interest without tying up the money by paying chunks off, just put it into the account (or other linked accounts to keep it separate)
    Essentially you get the mortgage rate as interest on the money, but no tax to pay as it reduces the loan on the house rather than paying a sum to you.
    You need discipline for it to work as the cash is easy to get at.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X