• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Transferwise Borderless Account"

Collapse

• SuperLooper
    replied
    Originally posted by seanalltogether View Post
    Interesting, you're definitely getting a better rate from HSBC then me, do you have a business account?
    Yes, I have USD and GBP business accounts with HSBC.

Leave a comment:

• seanalltogether
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperLooper View Post
    Following on from my previous post, today I transferred the same USD amount ($4200) from both my traditional HSBC USD account and from my Transferwise Borderless account. The Transferwise came in £43 cheaper.

GBP received from HSBC: £3175
    GBP received from Transferwise: £3218
    GBP at spot exchange rate from Google: £3248

So on a $10k transfer I'd expect to be saving around £100 which is worthwhile.
    Interesting, you're definitely getting a better rate from HSBC then me, do you have a business account? I just did a quote now and got.

$4200 on HSBC = £3129.59
    $4200 on Transferwise = £3,210.70

Leave a comment:

• SuperLooper
    replied
    So I did a USD transfer from HSBC to Transferwise, and used Transferwise to then convert the funds to GBP. HSBC charged some fees for this transfer, which is why the overall saving was only around £30.

My next step is to have my clients pay the USD directly into my Transferwise account, so avoiding HSBC altogether. The first such payment is due to arrive this week. When it arrives, I intend to transfer the same USD amount from both my HSBC account and the Transferwise account on the same day. This will give me a more useful comparison, and I hope it will show a significant saving with Transferwise.
    Following on from my previous post, today I transferred the same USD amount ($4200) from both my traditional HSBC USD account and from my Transferwise Borderless account. The Transferwise came in £43 cheaper.

GBP received from HSBC: £3175
    GBP received from Transferwise: £3218
    GBP at spot exchange rate from Google: £3248

So on a $10k transfer I'd expect to be saving around £100 which is worthwhile.

Leave a comment:

• yasockie
    replied
    My only concern with this is Transferwise don't seem to allow transfers in a given currency to an account outside a given country.
    So if you wanted to keep your USD as USD in an actual bank in the UK, you'd have to convert to GBP first and let your bank convert back to USD or something crazy like that.
    If you feel that USD will do better over time than GBP, your only choice is to keep it on Borderless account and the new 'fintech' aren't that good with the 'tech' bit of it just yet:

Why Monzo, Revolut, Loot, and Curve went down on Sunday March 5 - Business Insider

and there is another outage of many 'fintechs' today.

Not good if you absolutely must do a transfer today.

Leave a comment:

• seanalltogether
    replied
    So I did a USD transfer from HSBC to Transferwise, and used Transferwise to then convert the funds to GBP. HSBC charged some fees for this transfer, which is why the overall saving was only around £30.

My next step is to have my clients pay the USD directly into my Transferwise account, so avoiding HSBC altogether. The first such payment is due to arrive this week. When it arrives, I intend to transfer the same USD amount from both my HSBC account and the Transferwise account on the same day. This will give me a more useful comparison, and I hope it will show a significant saving with Transferwise.
    Ok that makes sense. I still have a USD bank account in America as well, so I don't pay any fees to get money from that account to Transferwise, it's simply a direct debit. So my total savings is £100 on a 5k transfer vs HSBC internal exchange, which I imagine you will see as well with a borderless account.

Leave a comment:

• SuperLooper
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Is the USD account a holding account operated by Transferwise? To whom do your clients direct payments; YourCo or Transferwise?
    Here's a screenshot of the dashboard. It lists my Ltd as the account holder, but Transferwise as the address. I gave these bank details to my client and it "just worked".

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    I'm not sure I understand your question. With a TW USD borderless account, you get a "proper" US bank account number and routing code, so from a client's perspective it's no different from a domestic wire transfer.
    Is the USD account a holding account operated by Transferwise? To whom do your clients direct payments; YourCo or Transferwise?

Leave a comment:

• SuperLooper
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    What's their business model? If the client is required to pay a commission, the "saving" will depend on whether they pass that on. I have a bunch of US clients, but they would never entertain making such third party payments. No banks accept third party payments, nor most FX providers. Personally, I have a USD current account and then use HiFX for immediate exchange or to purchase forward contracts, depending on my overall exposure to USD and valuations at the time. Works for me, although Transferwise is interesting (not third party payments though).
    I'm not sure I understand your question. With a TW USD borderless account, you get a "proper" US bank account number and routing code, so from a client's perspective it's no different from a domestic wire transfer.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    What's their business model? If the client is required to pay a commission, the "saving" will depend on whether they pass that on. I have a bunch of US clients, but they would never entertain making such third party payments. No banks accept third party payments, nor most FX providers. Personally, I have a USD current account and then use HiFX for immediate exchange or to purchase forward contracts, depending on my overall exposure to USD and valuations at the time. Works for me, although Transferwise is interesting (not third party payments though).

Leave a comment:

• SuperLooper
    replied
    Originally posted by seanalltogether View Post
    So I have the exact same setup as you. HSBC GBP current account with a USD currency account for accepting incoming money from american wire transfers. I just quoted a 5K transfer on HSBC right now and its exactly £100 less then what transferwise will quote me. (£3,731 vs £3,831). Did you have to something special to get a better rate with HSBC or something? I feel like I went through all this trouble to get setup with HSBC and it's never come close to what transferwise or XE give me?

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Haven't tried the borderless account yet but I'm using transferwise for years now to transfer foreign currency and can only say, very good, quick and cheap

Leave a comment:

• seanalltogether
    replied
    My current setup is that my company has a USD bank account with HSBC (UK) to receive the payments from my clients, and I've been using HSBC's own service to transfer funds to my company's Sterling account. I recently experimented with using Transferwise for a one-off transfer from the HSBC USD account to the Sterling account, and it worked out slightly cheaper (saved £30 in exchange rates and fees on a US$5k transfer) but not really enough to make a big difference.
    So I have the exact same setup as you. HSBC GBP current account with a USD currency account for accepting incoming money from american wire transfers. I just quoted a 5K transfer on HSBC right now and its exactly £100 less then what transferwise will quote me. (£3,731 vs £3,831). Did you have to something special to get a better rate with HSBC or something? I feel like I went through all this trouble to get setup with HSBC and it's never come close to what transferwise or XE give me?

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    I have a TW account and I've opened a Borderless account but it doesn't seem to work. I click on Add EUR, but it keeps on saying I can't add any euro yet.

I also want to know how to get my own bank details. I emailed TW last week but got no replies yet.

Leave a comment:

• washed up contractor
    replied
    Ive used transferwise for personal transfers and purchases. Id recommend them.

Im not familiar with TW for a business though.

For a personal transaction, you have to bear in mind the conversion and transfer isnt instant. In fact, it can be up to 7 days depending on the transfer rate variation you specify ie if you're prepared to accept a rate x% below the interbank rate, conversion may be quick be closer to the interbank rate, conversion and transfer could be upto 7 days.

Essentially what they do is match you to other people who want to convert out of the currency you want to convert into ie $ to £.

I dont know if same applies for business use.

Leave a comment:

• whats
    replied
    Thanks for this OP.

Worldspan are working on something similar. This sets the benchmark for fees.
    WS are more business orientated - they offer forward contracts which was something I wanted to look at.

Today I receive EUR into CurrencyFair. Convert and fund GBP account.
    But I can't do EUR>EUR payment (not that need to) and don't have IBAN number.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X