• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Unusual billing and VAT"

Collapse

• Pherlopolus
    replied
    I am FD for a local charity, and last quarter we had a £17k Vat refund due (usually pay £2-3k), I was expecting an Inspection.

In the end we just got a "can you explain, please show workings, copies of 6 biggest invoices". refund was posted a week or so later.

As others have said, if it's just normal business fluctuation I wouldn't stress about it.
    Last edited by Pherlopolus; 1 March 2017, 13:18.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    I personally consider highly variable income as a good indicator of non-standard (9-5 x 5) working practices. I.e. I am not a permie.
    +1, absolutely

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    I personally consider highly variable income as a good indicator of non-standard (9-5 x 5) working practices. I.e. I am not a permie.

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Who said he's coming off the scheme? May as well stay on it for the next two reporting periods at least.
    If he's getting paying the VAT received on the next 6 months of invoices today, why wouldn't he then come off the scheme given the 16.5% change? That's 6 months of accountancy payments he can now claim the VAT back on, for starters

or am I missing something?

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    Think there's a rule against doing that generally though, which might "raise a flag" if you suddenly invoiced for 6 months worth of work (on invoice accounting) the month before you come off the FRS scheme

Can't remember the name of it
    Who said he's coming off the scheme? May as well stay on it for the next two reporting periods at least.

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Happy days indeed.

As others have said, as long as you've got it documented and the bank statements to prove that you've been paid, then all is good (suits you to be paid before April to for the VAT collection boost.)
    Think there's a rule against doing that generally though, which might "raise a flag" if you suddenly invoiced for 6 months worth of work (on invoice accounting) the month before you come off the FRS scheme

Can't remember the name of it

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    haha, of course not!!

just wondered if it might cause any issues.

It is a v good position to be in.
    Yes, I really wouldn't worry about it. I've had VAT returns that vary massively and it's a non-issue. Now, if I could only get my accountants to understand the VAT reverse charge... It's the accuracy and internal consistency of the return that you want to worry about.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    I'm curious to know what you would've done had we said "yes". You're not about to decline the work, I assume. There's nothing you can do about HMRC's risk assessment process, but this would be a pretty weak indicator, as most businesses have fluctuating income. Indeed, you can't get much more consistent w/r to income than employment.
    haha, of course not!!

just wondered if it might cause any issues.

It is a v good position to be in.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    If that's the case (that they'll definitely pay it within a few weeks i.e. within the same quarter) - it probably won't matter

On invoice accounting you'd have to pay the 6 months of VAT up front, which might affect your cash flow (it at least would mean you'd take money out of your business savings account) - could cause you problems if they then changed their mind and you had to rescind the invoices

On cash accounting you wait until the invoices are paid to pay the VAT, there's no reason (that I have ever been convinced by) for any contractor turning over less than £1.35m/year not to be on it - which probably covers all of us... except maybe MrMarkyMark
    Got you.

Yep, I am on cash accounting, but I didn't understand the relevance. I didn't mention it in the original post, but yes, they want billed and to pay before the end of financial year.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    I'm curious to know what you would've done had we said "yes". You're not about to decline the work, I assume. There's nothing you can do about HMRC's risk assessment process, but this would be a pretty weak indicator, as most businesses have fluctuating income. Indeed, you can't get much more consistent w/r to income than employment.

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Originally posted by RonBW View Post
    It's fairly irrelevant in the context of the discussion.
    agreed

Leave a comment:

• RonBW
    replied
    If that's the case (that they'll definitely pay it within a few weeks i.e. within the same quarter) - it probably won't matter

On invoice accounting you'd have to pay the 6 months of VAT up front, which might affect your cash flow (it at least would mean you'd take money out of your business savings account) - could cause you problems if they then changed their mind and you had to rescind the invoices

On cash accounting you wait until the invoices are paid to pay the VAT, there's no reason (that I have ever been convinced by) for any contractor turning over less than £1.35m/year not to be on it - which probably covers all of us... except maybe MrMarkyMark
    It's fairly irrelevant in the context of the discussion.

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    I'm not clear why you are asking this, can you expand please?

the invoices are going to be issued and paid all the within the next few weeks. They are paying in advance, and the actual services will happen over the next 6 months.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied

the invoices are going to be issued and paid all the within the next few weeks. They are paying in advance, and the actual services will happen over the next 6 months.
    Happy days indeed.

As others have said, as long as you've got it documented and the bank statements to prove that you've been paid, then all is good (suits you to be paid before April to for the VAT collection boost.)

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Why aren't you on cash accounting?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X