• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "One for MarillionFan - maternity allowance SMP"

Collapse

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope
    What if you have multiple jobs, do you get SMP for each job.
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I am not 100% sure, but my missus was told that if she was an employee of mine(she works for the AA) and if she had to pay tax then it would stuff up her maternity pay?!?!

Didnt really question it to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    started a topic One for MarillionFan - maternity allowance SMP

One for MarillionFan - maternity allowance SMP

Now, I'm sure most of you have your wife (spouse) as an employee of your company. If you decide to have a baby, you can claim SMP, i.e. reducing the NI payable to HMRC, or rebate if the SMP payable > contributions due. Well, it started a thought process: What if you have multiple jobs, do you get SMP for each job. The answer seems to be yes:

"If you are an employee for two or more employers, you will get maternity leave from each job and you do not have to start each period of maternity leave at the same time. If you qualify for SMP from both jobs you will get two lots of SMP. However, if you do not qualify for SMP from job A you cannot get MA for job A if you are already getting SMP for job B and, if you do not qualify for SMP for both jobs, you cannot get two lots of MA (although your calculation of earnings for MA can be based on earnings from two or more jobs).
    The start of maternity leave and pay"

I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this - at the lower limit, your company can pay say ~£100 for 26 weeks = 2,600 - the NI due on this is negligible. For that, you become eligible to 39 * 100 = 3,900 worth of SMP. Okay, so on the 2,600 you have costs such as forming a company, filing, etc - but you'd be clearing ~3k.

Doesn't seem to be any rule against having unlimited employers. Of course, ethically is another matter.

Have I discovered perpetual motion? Feel free to shoot holes.

Working...
X