• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Charging VAT or not to client in Guernsey"

Collapse

• Maslins
    replied
    Just a generic tip for any FreeAgent users out there with this scenario, as it's an error we see quite a bit that can lead to people paying lots of VAT when they shouldn't be.

When selling B2B services to a company outside the UK and hence charging no VAT, ensure you choose the correct country from the drop down choices in the client "Contact" (it's not just for show). You'll see elsewhere in the contact there's a dropdown box which defaults to what's normally the correct option of only charging VAT when the client's in the UK.

Quite often we see people not bother with this so FreeAgent thinks the customer is in the UK. The FreeAgent user changes the VAT rate on the sale to 0%, but this doesn't achieve the same thing behind the scenes. Perhaps similar to NW's system, doing this means the sale is considered zero rated for VAT, rather than outside the scope.

If you're NOT on the flat rate scheme, making this mistake doesn't lead to too much harm, just means potential under disclosures in boxes 6 and 8 of the VAT returns, no tax impact. If you are on the flat rate scheme, massive impact, as you'll be paying over your FRS% on these sales when you shouldn't be.

Leave a comment:

• cityben
    replied
    Cheers Brett, that's right. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Brett at Nixon Williams
    replied
    Originally posted by cityben View Post
    I've now invoiced this client without VAT but my accountants portal, Nixon Williams, is showing that I still need to pay HMRC VAT for the work (so I'm actually losing 13.5%, I'm on FRS). Is that right?
    I thought as I'm not charging client VAT on the work, I wouldn't need to pay VAT on it??
    Hi cityben,

I believe that this has now been rectified. The VAT status was listed as exempt, rather than outside the scope and hence why VAT was showing as being payable under the FRS scheme.

I hope this is clear yet PM me or contact the office if we can help further.

Brett

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    I've now invoiced this client without VAT but my accountants portal, Nixon Williams, is showing that I still need to pay HMRC VAT for the work (so I'm actually losing 13.5%, I'm on FRS). Is that right?
    I thought as I'm not charging client VAT on the work, I wouldn't need to pay VAT on it??
    If the supply us Outside of the Scope of UK VAT (and it looks as though you've established this, based on the Place of Supply rules), then the supply does not factor into your FRS turnover. This is covered in VAT 733, paragraph 6.3.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

You would need to ask your accountant this. It may be their portal doesn't cater for edge cases. NW do read and post on the forums so you could wait and hope they see your thread or take the better option of calling them, certainly before your next VAT period ends.

Leave a comment:

• cityben
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    It's some work on a website for them.
    Should be outside the scope of then. Check the place of supply rules on hmrc website.

Leave a comment:

• cityben
    replied
    It's some work on a website for them.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    You shouldn't lose out on frs. It should be outside the scope and not be included in your frs turnover. But it does depend on exactly what is being supplied.

Leave a comment:

• Louisa@InTouch
    replied
    Hi cityben,

I have had similar questions beforehand, when providing services to the Channel Islands, if this is 'intellectual' then no UK VAT should be charged on your invoices.

However it will depend on the services that you are providing and discussed in more detail with your accountant.

If you are on the flat rate scheme, this does mean you will lose out on this specific work. However any other taxable supplies, you will still make the saving.

A point to bear in mind, is that if you do have other small taxable supplies, subject to UK VAT, you might want to consider going onto the standard rate scheme so you can reclaim VAT on your purchases, as you could instead claim some VAT back from HMRC

Leave a comment:

• cityben
    started a topic Charging VAT or not to client in Guernsey

Charging VAT or not to client in Guernsey

Hi

I had a search but couldn't see a thread although I'm sure it's been asked before.

My business is UK based. I've quoted a client for some work who is based in Guernsey. I originally quoted + VAT but the client has said they don't pay VAT so can I quote them without.

Can anybody confirm this is ok?

Means I'll lose out any difference from the flat rate scheme

Thanks

Working...
X