• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Lots Of Questions From VAT man"

Collapse

• Ivor1
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo
    I went through a similar experience when myCo registered for VAT (although this was in 2005). It took them 10 days between receiving some appropriate documentation to issuing the VAT registration certificate.

Thanks heres hopping, its been about 8 days now

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Ivor1
    How long from sending the extra info to them did it take you to hear back from them ?

Thanks
    I went through a similar experience when myCo registered for VAT (although this was in 2005). It took them 10 days between receiving some appropriate documentation to issuing the VAT registration certificate.
    Last edited by Gonzo; 17 October 2006, 19:25. Reason: correction of grammar

Leave a comment:

• Ivor1
    replied
    Originally posted by BillHicksRIP
    They messed me about a bit when I was registering in July. My accountant created an invoice for me that showed his fees for the next twelve months. I also sent them a letter from the bank thanking me for setting up a business bank account with them. I followed this up with a phone call and that did the trick.
    How long from sending the extra info to them did it take you to hear back from them ?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Darren@UptonAccountants
    replied
    Vat

It may well be, but in the main it is to do with the large number of fraud cases that have been instigated over the last 12 months. The EU have lost billions in lost revenue through various fraud schemes so they're a bit more cautious about issuing new numbers.

The processing time has come down in recent months, was up to 10 weeks at one point, our local office is now down to between 4-6 weeks.....still pretty poor!

Leave a comment:

• Robwg
    replied
    I have just registered for VAT - apparently one of the reasons they ask all these questions (according to my accountant - SJD) is that the VAT office are currently hugely backlogged and it is a bit of a delaying tactic if you are already trading (which I am).

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    It's OK, I don't need to know anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    Emm...I think the best answer I can post here is 'possibly not', without going into too much detail.

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    I guess so. But wouldn't they just have to look up one number and find out it's valid but fictitious to cast suspicion on the rest ?

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    I guess the concern is that with things like carousel/intra-eu fraud, being able to readily put down a few hundred valid numbers from other countries, on your EU sales form for example, makes it more difficult for them to flag up a problem.

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    I don't see the point of hiding the algorithm. If someone wanted to defraud the VAT they could easily startup a small limited company, like our Ivor1 here and buy a few things, thus getting a genuine number. Or you could appropriate a genuine one from a small company. They're everywhere - invoices, receipts, websites, stationery. The big VAT frauds are on missing trader sequences, which are done through genuine companies.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    Originally posted by Asterix
    Pirate, is this how you managed to retire to the Caribbean ?
    BTW, a lot of our Aussie/Kiwi 'cousins' are experts in that (fake VAT nos)
    Not exactly hard since the UK has a very simple way of generating the number and includes only a very simple checksum. The main idea being that any company trading with someone new should verify the other details, company name/address etc, by calling a free-phone number they have.

Various other EU countries though have a very hush, hush policy on their VAT numbers because the number itself is considered almost like a hash to show that it's genuine.
    Last edited by Joe Black; 6 September 2006, 10:57. Reason: Yep, this post might be 'edited' at some point

Leave a comment:

• CaribbeanPirate
    replied
    Originally posted by Asterix
    Pirate, is this how you managed to retire to the Caribbean ?
    Maybe.

BTW, a lot of our Aussie/Kiwi 'cousins' are experts in that (fake VAT nos)
    Actually, this is what I was thinking of.

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll
    No No & Thrice NO - I did this and ended up being inspected - issues - if you issue back dated VAT invoice no guarantee of payment but you will be liable.

That was silly. Whatever possessed you to do that ? Surely there's no financial benefit in doing it. You can still reclaim input VAT when you register and the HMRC won't require you to collect VAT until you register or reach the threshold whichever comes first.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Ivor1
    I recon it will take 8 months to hit the threashold, if I'm not regsitered for VAT during the time, once I hit the threashold will I have to back date it to cover the last eight month I didnt charge it ?
    No No & Thrice NO - I did this and ended up being inspected - issues - if you issue back dated VAT invoice no guarantee of payment but you will be liable.
    Also:
    VAT man will say you should have added 'VAT registration applied for' onto your invoices and charged from the outset.
    He will then show amount of money not paid to HM in previous quarters (and take it as lost revenue for HMG) add daily interest to outstanding amount and just for good measure compound the interest - doesn't sound fair - well it happened to me!

Leave a comment:

• Ivor1
    replied
    It was only because my agency were insisting on VAT certifcate before issuing contract, the agency have now backed down now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X