• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GSK - advice for a newbie please

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1500 contractors at GSK. HMRC are rattling the tree and see what falls out.

Take the contract on outside IR35, that’s what QDOS said about your contract, how do you know better till you work there and see working practices..

OR

Go umbrella for 6 months and see what happens to everyone else

OR

Don’t go there

...until I’ve worked there, I have no idea if you’re in or out. Personally if I needed a job I would go option 1, take it on as outside IR35 through Ltd company.

What I wouldn’t do is say you’re inside..give me more money, as that’s a joke right? They will treat it as one.
    Last edited by BABABlackSheep; 22 September 2019, 22:22.

Comment

Originally posted by BABABlackSheep View Post

Take the contract on outside IR35, that’s what QDOS said about your contract, how do you know better till you work there and see working practices..

OR

OR

Don’t go there

...until I’ve worked there, I have no idea if you’re in or out. Personally if I needed a job I would go option 1, take it on as outside IR35 through Ltd company.

What I wouldn’t do is say you’re inside..give me more money, as that’s a joke right? They will treat it as one.
      The 1500 number includes folks who have left as it is from circa 2018, I personally know someone who left last year who got a letter and is pretty anxious in spite of having insurance.
      The role is to cover a permie PM going on a secondament within GSK for 1 yr.
      There is no flex on WFH or substitution and I'd rather be transparent and call it inside ir35 now than wait 6 months and have GSK do it themselves in April 2020 and be mince meat.

I have worked there before so understand the working practices fairly well- going umbrella now, would also bring unneeded attention as it would show course correction ...HMRC have chosen GSK for a reason
      Last edited by HelpNeeded101; 22 September 2019, 22:49.

Comment

OR

OR

Don’t go there

The contract is academic not based on reality.

Also, according to someone in my network, Lorien recently updated the wording of their contract post all the HMRC attention these past few weeks
        Last edited by HelpNeeded101; 22 September 2019, 22:56.

Comment

If £450 is the daily rate, how much would be equivalent to that figure if I was to inside ir35 via my limited company, is that £550?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Comment

Originally posted by HelpNeeded101 View Post
            The 1500 number includes folks who have left as it is from circa 2018, I personally know someone who left last year who got a letter and is pretty anxious in spite of having insurance.
            The role is to cover a permie PM going on a secondament within GSK for 1 yr.
            There is no flex on WFH or substitution and I'd rather be transparent and call it inside ir35 now than wait 6 months and have GSK do it themselves in April 2020 and be mince meat.

I have worked there before so understand the working practices fairly well- going umbrella now, would also bring unneeded attention as it would show course correction ...HMRC have chosen GSK for a reason
            Hang on..

Hello All

I am about to finish up my 6 month contract with a client this month and am in discussions for a 6-month IT Project Management contract opportunity with GSK at their head office in Brentford, W London.

I am optimistic I will be made an offer soon.
            I'm excited to work for such a flagship client but what makes me somewhat apprehensive is all the news with regards to HMRC and IR35, should I be worried to take on this assignment, will it put me under the tax man’s magnifying glass?
            Now you’re saying you’ve worked there before?

Wow...just wow..

Comment

Hang on..

Wow...just wow..
              A few years back, yes but that before all of the IR35 spotlight that started a month ago; also done 3 assignments since then if I include my current gig which is ending very soon

Comment

Hang on..

Wow...just wow..
                I dont understand the issue here, I was there in 2015 (originally) with a different agency, not Lorien

Also way I see it, if I be truthful that it is inside ir35 now and the assignment is for 12 months, I will be laying the ground work for GSK to concur that it is indeed inside in April 2020 (with 6 months remaining)
                Last edited by HelpNeeded101; 22 September 2019, 23:18.

Comment

I'm excited to work for such a flagship client...
                  You massively implied you haven’t worked there before.

Suddenly you start saying you’re going to say the role will be inside.

It’s obvious now what’s going on. Seriously wtf..you are saying you know everyone is inside there.
                  Last edited by BABABlackSheep; 22 September 2019, 23:32.

Comment

You massively implied you haven’t worked there before.

Suddenly you start saying you’re going to say the role will be inside.

It’s obvious now what’s going on. Seriously wtf.
                    Forgive me, not sure what the issue is, that was my first post minutes after joining this board (newbie) I appreciate you have been here 7 years
                    The reason I say it is going to be inside is first of all based on feedback from this online community, the QDOS questionnaire and my knowledge of the gig from the hiring manager
                    I am sorry if you feel like I have held things back

Comment

Dormant for 7 years, but that’s by the by. Let’s see what others say.

Comment

Working...
                      X