• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    They will only be able to issue an APN where there is an open enquiry, assessment or pending appeal.
    Thanks DR

I only worry that seeing as HMRC are basically being given carte blanche to do whatever they think is right, how likely would you say it is for them to stick to those limits?

We're unable to appeal any of the APNs, so what's to stop them from issuing them to all and sundry?

Or am I being overly pessimistic
    Last edited by slatt; 1 May 2014, 09:27. Reason: spelling

Comment

Sorry, ignore my last post, you answered it in your response to ChimpMaster!

Comment

I think it's unlikely HMRC would start issuing DAs carte blanche contrary to the 6-year rule.

The person I know of received a DA late last year for 2006/7. They've appealed against it but the outcome can only be determined by a tribunal.

Comment

Could one use a CTD to pay the APN?

Comment

Originally posted by edgeebt View Post
            Could one use a CTD to pay the APN?
            That is an interesting question, and one that HMRC themselves may not have considered.

A CTD stops interest accruing.

If you used it to pay an APN then HMRC would somehow have to reduce the amount of interest on your account for the period you held the CTD.

Their systems may not be able to handle this.

Comment

Sorry TLA time again

CTD?

Comment

Originally posted by lfcynwa View Post
                CTD?
                HM Revenue & Customs: The Certificate of Tax Deposit scheme

"You can make a tax deposit to be held against a tax liability that is under investigation by HMRC. Using a deposit in this way can help stop late payment interest accruing on the amount owed while it's under investigation."

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                  HM Revenue & Customs: The Certificate of Tax Deposit scheme

"You can make a tax deposit to be held against a tax liability that is under investigation by HMRC. Using a deposit in this way can help stop late payment interest accruing on the amount owed while it's under investigation."
                  Or 'Can pay but would rather not'

p.s. before I get complaints from the grammar police, I know it isn't really an acronym, but it's the best I could do after a couple of glasses of Hardys Shiraz
                  Last edited by Living life on the Edge; 2 May 2014, 12:30. Reason: language Timothy
                  "No man in this country is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or to his property as to enable the Inland Revenue to put the largest possible shovel into his stores."

Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services v Ritchie v CIR CS 1929 14 TC 754, Lord Clyde.

Comment

Originally posted by Living life on the Edge View Post

p.s. before I get complaints from the grammar police, I know it isn't really an acronym, but it's the best I could do after a couple of glasses of Hardys Shiraz
                    Or

Choosing to Demur
                    "No man in this country is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or to his property as to enable the Inland Revenue to put the largest possible shovel into his stores."

Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services v Ritchie v CIR CS 1929 14 TC 754, Lord Clyde.

Comment

Originally posted by Living life on the Edge View Post

Well I liked it

Comment

Working...
                      X