• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If only one of us out of the scheme is going to get taken to tribunal and that decision affects everyone then I don’t see the point of us having multiple groups.

If this is how it’s going to work then what happens if the person who gets taken to tribunal isn’t part of any group and doesn’t have any legal representation because at the end of the day the amount they owe is small enough that they are not bothered either way.

People would have paid all this money for all these great legal people and then they won’t have their day in court to represent us.

My thinking is we need to form one group that represents everyone in the scheme. We then decide on who is going to represent us as a whole. If that is an individual or a company or a group of people/organisations that are all pulling in the same direction and sharing their knowledge with each other for the good of us.

Comment

Originally posted by bstar1 View Post
      Would it not be possible if all the individuals whom are potentially organising group representation, to merge so we all come under one represented group action, I think this would be the best position to be in for all parties?
      Thoughts / Comments?
      Completely agree ............... and it lowers costs :-)

The flip side to this for the tax experts heading these groups to all come together and create one group - now there's a thought!

Comment

PM rights

Hi, Can somebody grant me PM rights please.

Thanks

Comment

Hi all, just received a demand for 2009/10 and an appeal is on the way back. I've seen a fair few posts referring to group representation and would like to get involved. Could someone send me details of that process?

If PM rights are required could an admin please grant those?

Cheers

Comment

Group representation update

Hello all, firstly the good news. TheDandy and Saleos are communicating and looking at whether combining efforts is best. That said there are 2 separate approaches on the table so you need to get in touch with both to find out details. Having all the information to hand is crucial to making good decisions. Please refrain from hypothesising on 'best tactics' until you understand all options.

Unfortunately we cannot spell out in detail the differences here for obvious reasons.

More importantly the cost of representation is going to be very large and so it will only proceed if we get enough people showing interest. This means you must contact via PM either TheDandy or Saleos - preferably both.

IMHO the more numbers we have also makes it more likely that we will combine efforts

If you have any desire to pursue group representation please

Request PM (private message) access if you don't already have it. You can post a request or contact the admins via this page: http://forums.contractoruk.com/sendmessage.php

PM TheDandy here: http://forums.contractoruk.com/priva...=newpm&u=39502
            PM Saleos here: http://forums.contractoruk.com/priva...=newpm&u=41765

then make a decision if you have interest in one or both of the groups and if you are willing to foot the likely costs and advise the organiser(s) accordingly

Simply posting a desire to join a group will not achieve anything.

I am going to post the above regularly to reach any new comers, so don't get annoyed with the repetition
            Last edited by GoneSouth; 11 December 2013, 02:54.

Comment

Do we have any idea on how many Edge users have been issued notices? There were 346 using 'Consulting Overseas Limited' - HMRC wins employment income avoidance case - HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC)
              I would think we are considerably more?

Don't forget, nowhere near all the Edge users are on this forum, so its probable that that HMRC may choose a 'test case' which not from here.

Is the thought here that we form a group and submit ourselves as the test case?

Comment

PM access

Admin - please can you grant PM access to me - thanks.

Will PM Saleos and TheDandy as want to contribute to funding representation.*
                TheEdge

<admin note>PM access granted!</admin note>

Comment

Ex Edge

All,

I am an ex-Edge employee too. I was with Edge for a brief period in 2008-09 and did almost an year on 2009-10. I have received assessment notice from HMRC for both the years I was with them. I have sent an appeal letter for both of the years but I am nervous on what is going to happen next.

Could one of you be kind enough to advise, what is the latest on this and what are my/our options?

Thanks....
                  Last edited by Santoshramaks; 11 December 2013, 20:25.

Comment

Another ex-edge employee here, and have received letters regarding 08/09 and now 09/10 - I sent the standard appeal template earlier this year for 08/09 but having second thoughts on continuing down this path.

Currently in 2 minds about what to do, I was with edge for a period of 2-3 years so HMRC demands are large! However I have enough to be able to pay what is being demanded if I empty house deposit savings, I'm hugely reluctant but its no way to live life crapping yourself everytime a brown envelope comes through the post box. Plus I'm concerned of how it could escalate even more, I don't think I'm cut out for court battles and subsequent increased cost of the whole affair.

My Questions:

1) Can you request HMRC for payment of installments rather than lump sum to ease the pain?
                    2) I assume I could revoke my appeal for tax year 08/09?
                    2) Are HMRC likely to add penalties to the requested amounts if all the appeals fail and we're forced to pay up?

Comment

Originally posted by Santoshramaks View Post
                      All,

I am an ex-Edge employee too. I was with Edge for a brief period in 2008-09 and did almost an year on 2009-10. I have received assessment notice from HMRC for both the years I was with them. I have sent an appeal letter for both of the years but I am nervous on what is going to happen next.

Could one of you be kind enough to advise, what is the latest on this and what are my/our options?

Thanks....
                      The first post in this thread is kept up to date with the current situation. There is probably benefit in reading the entire thread as well

Comment

Working...
                      X