• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by webberg View Post
    No.

A loan document deals with a transfer of money and the terms and conditions attached to that. Relatively simple and very flexible and easy to manipulate.

For example can anybody explain convincingly the difference between a loan and deposit account? Both have very similar characteristics depending on whose perspective you view them from. This is a favourite trick question in banking exams.

As a random side story, I actually know of at least one large financial institution that couldn't shoe horn a deposit into their FO trading system, and instead used "reversed loans" always confused newbies.

Comment

Originally posted by Dylan View Post
      Link please?
      Read it on hard paper copy and hence no link....

Comment

Originally posted by EBTContractor View Post
        I'll pay mine and probably in full
        Paying mine in full this week. This won't go away so bye bye cash.

Comment

settlement

Could you please give us a some detail on how you came to a settlement?

Comment

How to avoid incurring interest on disputed APN amounts

I've registered for settlement - keeping my options open, but meanwhile i'd like to hand over wonga to hm to avoid interest.

I believe there is a service which allows such payments to be accepted by them.

does anyone have the name or link to it please.

thanks

Comment

I'm assuming when you say "Paying in full" meaning you are settling.
              If this is the case, than please note, this is not final as IHT will still be outstanding.
              IHT is applied at 1% of the total loan, from the years that you have used the scheme to the year you finally settle. This accumulates substantially if the scheme was used for few years.

Comment

Calculation of IHT

So for example you had a loan of £100k for one year in a scheme 10 years ago and you settle this year

you could still be liable to £1k x10 = £10k + interest?

is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by IPMAN View Post
                  I've registered for settlement - keeping my options open, but meanwhile i'd like to hand over wonga to hm to avoid interest.

I believe there is a service which allows such payments to be accepted by them.

does anyone have the name or link to it please.

thanks
                  Certificate of Tax Deposit via HMRC website
                  Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by ireland2013 View Post
                    So for example you had a loan of £100k for one year in a scheme 10 years ago and you settle this year

you could still be liable to £1k x10 = £10k + interest?

is that correct?
                    Yes, this is correct. For example if you used the scheme since 2005/2006 for 4 years than at £100 loan/year your IHT liability will be:
                    2005/2006 - present = 10 years x 1k = 10K
                    2006/2007 - present = 9 years x 1k = 9K
                    2007/2008 - present = 8 years x 1k = 8K
                    2008/2009 - present = 7 years x 1k = 7K

Total IHT = £34K

In some cases one's IHT will be greater than the actual tax + interest that they are initially after!

This is absolutely crazy. They already tax you with interest, and than on top they want even more.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonJones View Post
                      Yes, this is correct. For example if you used the scheme since 2005/2006 for 4 years than at £100 loan/year your IHT liability will be:
                      2005/2006 - present = 10 years x 1k = 10K
                      2006/2007 - present = 9 years x 1k = 9K
                      2007/2008 - present = 8 years x 1k = 8K
                      2008/2009 - present = 7 years x 1k = 7K

Total IHT = £34K

In some cases one's IHT will be greater than the actual tax + interest that they are initially after!

This is absolutely crazy. They already tax you with interest, and than on top they want even more.
                      Is this IHT issue confined to the open enquiry years only?

I look forward to seeing a new box on my tax return next year for "Loans from parents, grandparents etc. that you never paid back"

Comment

Working...
                      X