• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hello all, i was following this thread a few months ago but have had limited internet access since. Is there any free advice available for former edge users? i expect to receive the accelerated payment notice shortlyin the next 1-6 weeks. it's looking like bankruptcy for me so wouldn't be able to pay to join a group or anything. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by grumble View Post
      hello all, i was following this thread a few months ago but have had limited internet access since. Is there any free advice available for former edge users? i expect to receive the accelerated payment notice shortlyin the next 1-6 weeks. it's looking like bankruptcy for me so wouldn't be able to pay to join a group or anything. thanks
      your here

Comment

I just received the HMRC letter saying I'm shortly getting an APN for my 2006/2007 Year. Never even had a notice of assessment for that year so have no idea how much I supposedly owe.

I was also on the Edge scheme for the following year (2007/2008) but HMRC never issued any form of discovery on that. Are HRMC allowed to open up an enquiry now for 2007/2008 because it was a continuation of the Edge scheme they were investigating in 06/07 or is it too late for them to do anything about 2007/2008?

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger22 View Post
          I just received the HMRC letter saying I'm shortly getting an APN for my 2006/2007 Year. Never even had a notice of assessment for that year so have no idea how much I supposedly owe.

I was also on the Edge scheme for the following year (2007/2008) but HMRC never issued any form of discovery on that. Are HRMC allowed to open up an enquiry now for 2007/2008 because it was a continuation of the Edge scheme they were investigating in 06/07 or is it too late for them to do anything about 2007/2008?
          1 year limit for Section 9A, 4 year limit for Section 29 - so looks like your in the clear for 2007/08

Comment

I've read every single post here, and it seems like everyone else has had either a discovery notice or investigation letter. I have had only 1 letter that they were looking into my 06/07 return (this was YEARS ago), yet they are sending me an APN for 06/07 and 07/08 in a few weeks.

I've sent them a generic letter asking for a calculation but had no response. Do I need to engage by sending them a copy of their template (from the HMRC website) with all my loan figures on it? Seems like a daft thing to do, to volunteer info.
            Or am I disadvantaging myself by not doing this before the end of June?

Comment

Originally posted by gettingangry View Post
              1 year limit for Section 9A, 4 year limit for Section 29 - so looks like your in the clear for 2007/08
              What about the 2006 / 07

Comment

Originally posted by parallelmonogamist View Post
                I have had only 1 letter that they were looking into my 06/07 return (this was YEARS ago)
                What kind of letter was that? do you have it?
                Are you sure it was not an inquiry notice?

If that's not what it was, then wait for the APN to come, and challenge it on the grounds that the year is not open and therefore the APN is invalid (if they say there is an open inquiry, demand they send you audited proof of this)

In the meantime, do yourself a favor, and join Big Group if you haven't already.
                Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
                  What kind of letter was that? do you have it?
                  Are you sure it was not an inquiry notice?

If that's not what it was, then wait for the APN to come, and challenge it on the grounds that the year is not open and therefore the APN is invalid (if they say there is an open inquiry, demand they send you audited proof of this)

In the meantime, do yourself a favor, and join Big Group if you haven't already.
                  That sort of thing is what BG is for.
                  Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by parallelmonogamist View Post
                    I've read every single post here, and it seems like everyone else has had either a discovery notice or investigation letter. I have had only 1 letter that they were looking into my 06/07 return (this was YEARS ago), yet they are sending me an APN for 06/07 and 07/08 in a few weeks.

I've sent them a generic letter asking for a calculation but had no response. Do I need to engage by sending them a copy of their template (from the HMRC website) with all my loan figures on it? Seems like a daft thing to do, to volunteer info.
                    Or am I disadvantaging myself by not doing this before the end of June?
                    IT took almost 3 months to get a reply to my letter to the contractor settlement line. I've swapped a couple of letters since with them to challenge one set of numbers and ask for copies any enquiry notices they have sent.

HMRC will have your returns and possibly your P11D. I'd give them the figures you have. If you have your P11D etc all the better. You could send in a copy.

If you join Big Group there there's a offer to have BG find out from HMRC if you have any other "open" (enquiry) years. And also info on how to deal with APNs when they arrive - for example if the figures they have are wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                      That sort of thing is what BG is for.
                      Haha, ok point taken Graham, I'm on it. :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X