• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok. so we're getting somewhere..., well at least i think we are. nothing like a bit of optimism amid the prospect of handing over best part of quarter of a million pounds hey

So ... in terms of 2010, thats just over four times 2009, wonder if they balls'ed up on that too ???

Comment

Originally posted by IPMAN View Post
      ok. so we're getting somewhere..., well at least i think we are. nothing like a bit of optimism amid the prospect of handing over best part of quarter of a million pounds hey

So ... in terms of 2010, thats just over four times 2009, wonder if they balls'ed up on that too ???

Sounds like it. Seems they have continually used the cumulative loan amount rather than what the ACTUAL loan amount was in each particular year?
      Easy mistake to make I suppose? I mean, it's not as if they have access to our P11D forms for each year which shows exactly what the loan amounts were and so can deduct the previous year's total amount from the next year's?!
      For your information, they calculated my tax for 2010-2011 at approx. 65k. Actual tax due (I say 'due' whereby I actually mean unlawfully demanded!)......... 14k! Seems to me that a tax department this inept isn't fit for purpose? Let alone be allowed to create and enforce their own laws, without right to appeal, as they see fit? Shocking!

Comment

Originally posted by chipamundo View Post
        Hello

I am also a new member who has been lurking but just received an APN notice from HMRC. Can you provide me with PM rights, please?

Thanks
        Sorry, was rough yesterday Account is now upgraded so you should have access to the PM system.

Comment

Originally posted by bbt View Post
          Hi, I'm a new member. I receieved a warning letter yesterday for tax years 07 and 08 from when I was with Norla. Can you please provide me with PM rights? Cheers.
          Sorted!

Comment

When you receive an APN, does it give you enough information for you to quickly understand how they've calculated this amount?

The reason I ask is because I only used Edge for a year and during that time I was on a low value contract, took time out to do some training and generally didn't earn much that year. The figures that HMRC had previously try to obtain from me (by means of literally yelling at me down the phone and telling me to start reading the long number of a credit card) doesn't really tie up with what they demanded.

Incompetence seems to have mentioned a few times in this thread so am guessing that it will all be a bit useless!

Comment

1. Are we allowed to include a reasonable amount for expenses?
              2. Under the ebt/edge/norla setup, contractors were paid a salary aside from loans. of course this would need to be taken into account, is this correct?
              3. APN for 2009 for instance, marks tax year 2008-2009 right?
              Last edited by IPMAN; 26 May 2015, 15:11.

Comment

Ex Edge - APN for 2009 / 2010 received.

Can I get PM access please?

Comment

Originally posted by IPMAN View Post
                  1. Are we allowed to include a reasonable amount for expenses?
                  2. Under the ebt/edge/norla setup, contractors were paid a salary aside from loans. of course this would need to be taken into account, is this correct?
                  3. APN for 2009 for instance, marks tax year 2008-2009 right?
                  1. No
                  2. Should already have been taxed after allowing for personal allowance
                  3. Sounds reasonable but depends on context
                  Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

APN Calcs

Can I just reiterate the previous points about closely checking the figures on APNs.

I received mine today and despite the settlements people confirming that (across various systems) they have P60, P11D and SA details the APN team have just taken the total PAYE figure from Edge and multiplied it by 4 to get a revised annual pay as a start point.

There also seem to be some errors in the figures too and differences between the various pages so well worth a decent look and cross check.

Comment

Originally posted by DKB View Post
                      When you receive an APN, does it give you enough information for you to quickly understand how they've calculated this amount?

The reason I ask is because I only used Edge for a year and during that time I was on a low value contract, took time out to do some training and generally didn't earn much that year. The figures that HMRC had previously try to obtain from me (by means of literally yelling at me down the phone and telling me to start reading the long number of a credit card) doesn't really tie up with what they demanded.

Incompetence seems to have mentioned a few times in this thread so am guessing that it will all be a bit useless!
                      My APN came with the last page detailing the breakdown showing the original figures from the return and their revised calcs side by side.

Comment

Working...
                      X