• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks

Originally posted by Michael J Perry FCA View Post
    Please see post #127 where you can network with other contractors.
    I shall get myself along to the meeting

Comment

Another one

Hi - I was an IT Consultant with Edge and also got my 2008/9 tax bill. I appealed straight away (using my own text as I had not found this forum nor contacted Edge at that point) and I have had the standard acknowledgement from HRMC that everyone has had. I will re-write to them and include the text suggested by Edge as further points.

A few interesting points:

1. I asked HMRC whether Edge had contacted them and were making a single, joint appeal on behalf of their employees, or whether we all had to appeal separately. They told me that usually in most cases they get a single appeal letter from the company with a spreadsheet listing all of the affected employees, but that in this case they had received nothing at all from Edge and so all of us have to appeal separately.

2. I initially had trouble tracking Edge down on the internet, so it was actually HMRC who pointed me towards this forum - so you can be sure that they are reading it!

3. HMRC told me that several people who worked for Edge have just phoned up and paid the outstanding amount and have not appealed - so if this has been a fishing expedition for HMRC, it has certainly paid dividends for them so far.

4. I actually paid the outstanding amount (which has crippled me financially), because I am not in a position financially to continue accruing interest for the years that this might take to sort out. They have allowed me to pay the outstanding amount, plus interest already accured (even though I had never been informed that I apparently owed anything!?), and I will get this full amount refunded should my appeal be successful.

Thanks very much to everyone who has posted here - it has made me feel a lot better. Worryingly, my husband worked for them too, and for a longer period than me, but he left a year after me so we are expecting another huge tax bill for him at the end of next tax year

I would be interested in any group action. Cheers.

Comment

Noon

I don't believe discovery can apply so 2008/9 should be a closed case. (See case law).

Any competent HMRC employee had all the facts at their disposal. They cannot change the way they interpret tax law retrospectively.

You will unfortunately never get your money back as it is unlikely any appeal will ever go to litigation.

The interest they can charge is 0.5 % for the last few years and no surcharges can apply while the amount is appealed.

Comment

Originally posted by car9908 View Post
          I don't believe discovery can apply so 2008/9 should be a closed case. (See case law).

Any competent HMRC employee had all the facts at their disposal. They cannot change the way they interpret tax law retrospectively.

You will unfortunately never get your money back as it is unlikely any appeal will ever go to litigation.

The interest they can charge is 0.5 % for the last few years and no surcharges can apply while the amount is appealed.
          Thats interesting as I've read on here that interest would be charged for the duration of the appeal if the appeal fails.

Comment

If any of you guys are intending to attend the seminar on Saturday, please see posts 24 onwards in the thread below. You should secure your seat asap to avoid disappointment - space is limited

http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...ml#post1720974

Comment

Yet another Ex Edge newbie here

Hi,

Another Ex Edge user, been lurking for some time but thought I should register so that I can subscribe to this thread.

Received four letters from HMRC (Check of self assessment Tax return - ending 5th April 08 (Received Dec 09) then nothing until recent Demand for Tax, SA Statement & Letter confirming receipt of Appeal and deferment of Tax all for the 08/09 year)

Would be interested if a group is formed to act as one.

Comment

Originally posted by car9908 View Post

I was wrong, it's 3% for later years and higher for earlier years.

Comment

Edge Scheme

Hi,

could I have PM rights so I can contact Michael J Perry?

Thanks.

Comment

Living life on the Edge

Originally posted by turnover
                    Hi Porrker,

Very informative mail. Thank you. This indicates its all about the set up of the EBT. If it has been done correctly then we should be fine. Did your letter mention Section 29 of the Tax Management? My letter did not mention the schedule you are talking about.

I'm with Porrker on his appraisal of the 'Rangers' case. I'm a former Edge employee, I've received a 2008/09 assessment in the post and appealed by registered post using the Edge template.

I'm currently living outside the UK, which has meant a swift turnaround of letters was required to appeal in the appropriate timescale.

I have found Michelle Booth at Edge to be very helpful and responsive to date
                    "No man in this country is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or to his property as to enable the Inland Revenue to put the largest possible shovel into his stores."

Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services v Ritchie v CIR CS 1929 14 TC 754, Lord Clyde.

Comment

Newbie to the Edge debacle

Ex Edge employee here, please add me to thel list

Admin: Pls allow PM access.

Regards

Magictuna

<admin note - PMrights granted />

Comment

Working...
                      X