• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trev88 View Post
    I'm a newbie today. Received the HMRC 'invitation' 4 weeks ago, it contains no figures re my liability at all.
    I haven't yet trawled this entire thread, so my apologies if my points have already been answered.
    -----------------------------------------------
    I have been retired 10 years, now 70, worked thru Norla and Green Bay (but NOT I believe Edge).
    I was on the scheme for 2-3 months only in 2004.
    I doubt I still have all the paperwork.
    I have found two 2004 payslips for 2004, and two Green Bay 'Reconciliation of Employee Payments' for 5/2004, that mention 'EBT'..
    1. Can HMRC really go back 10 years and demand tax ?
    2. Will HMRC have the correct amounts to bill me for ?
    3. If I can 'guesstimate', might they accept my figures ?
    It is most likely that HMRC sent you a COP8 notice or discovery notice before 2008 and so protected tax year 2004

Comment

Which prompts a further question, how do we know what years HMRC have protected? Is there a way of finding out?

Comment

Originally posted by Talgarth View Post
        Which prompts a further question, how do we know what years HMRC have protected? Is there a way of finding out?
        When HMRC issues a COP8 or Disco, they have protected that tax year and can come back to it to demand what they believe is unpaid tax. Disco time limits have been discussed to death in these threads

Comment

Originally posted by vern19 View Post
          When HMRC issues a COP8 or Disco, they have protected that tax year and can come back to it to demand what they believe is unpaid tax. Disco time limits have been discussed to death in these threads
          I think you miss my point! How do I find out what years have been protected in my case? Is there somewhere I can look or request the information? Is it just a case that all years where Norla/edge operated have had a position preserved by HMRC?

Comment

Originally posted by Talgarth View Post
            I think you miss my point! How do I find out what years have been protected in my case? Is there somewhere I can look or request the information? Is it just a case that all years where Norla/edge operated have had a position preserved by HMRC?
            Give HMRC a call. They don't bite. Ask them which tax years are open

Comment

I think you would remember if you'd received a COP8 and certainly a discovery assessment that you would need to have appealed.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                I think you would remember if you'd received a COP8 and certainly a discovery assessment that you would need to have appealed.
                I think you'd be surprised at the extent of some contractor's ignorance in this department, which makes their involvement in these schemes all the more frightening.

Ignorance is bliss; knowledge is sh1tting oneself.

Comment

Originally posted by Boobetty View Post
                  I think you'd be surprised at the extent of some contractor's ignorance in this department, which makes their involvement in these schemes all the more frightening.
                  I was talking to a guy a few weeks back who was in an ebt scheme. He'd just assumed these schemes must be OK because everyone seemed to be using them. He felt safety in numbers.

It never occurred to him that their shear popularity was just making them an even bigger target for HMRC.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    I was talking to a guy a few weeks back who was in an ebt scheme. He'd just assumed these schemes must be OK because everyone seemed to be using them. He felt safety in numbers.

It never occurred to him that their shear popularity was just making them an even bigger target for HMRC.
                    ...but EBT schemes are dead? Surely.

Comment

Originally posted by jbryce View Post
                      ...but EBT schemes are dead? Surely.
                      I was talking past tense. He was in an EBT a few years ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X