• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by InNZ View Post
    I've been trawling through the HMRC web pages to see what type of agreement they have with New Zealand (my adopted country).

Found out that:

"Countries with which the UK has a DTA containing debt recovery provisions and an MOU/MOA:
    New Zealand, the Faroes and South Africa."

I still need to fully understand what DTA, MOU and MOA mean, but it looks like there is an agreement in place between HMRC and NZ's IRD.

I don't think it's all bad (for me at least) as on the same web-page, it says:

1) NIC's are not covered in the agreement
    2) Only debts under 5 years old are covered.

I'm hoping I've got this correct.

It would seem that even though there are not many countries where agreements are in place currently it looks like there would be a long wait before you would know if you were in the clear.

Our case would have to be 'decided' in favour of HMRC which could be a few year. It's at that point the 5 year guideline kicks in, so you are looking at well over 5 years from today before it would be moved to the too hard basket. Even then I suspect that HMRC's recent enthusiasm for chasing debt would probably result in an extension to that.

So it's probably reasonable to suggest that you would be waiting 10 years hoping that the UK doesn't reach an agreement with the country you reside in before you were safe - all the while accumulating interest on the debt. Even then you would never know for sure as the debt remains and the more cases of people moving OS there are the more likely UK inc will chase a solution.

Also the web page is peppered with this "(This text has been withheld because of exemptions in the Freedom of Information Act 2000)" which makes me even more apprehensive.

FWIW I'm in a country not listed and I'm not taking much comfort from that.

Comment

I've been trawling through the HMRC web pages to see what type of agreement they have with New Zealand (my adopted country).

Found out that:

"Countries with which the UK has a DTA containing debt recovery provisions and an MOU/MOA:
      New Zealand, the Faroes and South Africa."

I still need to fully understand what DTA, MOU and MOA mean, but it looks like there is an agreement in place between HMRC and NZ's IRD.

I don't think it's all bad (for me at least) as on the same web-page, it says:

Seek advice in NZ.

APNs are the most imminent concern and could be with you in a matter of months.

APNs are for tax only but they do constitute a legally enforceable debt in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterF View Post
        Really?
        And your point is?

Comment

Does anyone know who runs Norla Edge Former Employee Self Help Group EBT Employee Benefit Trust ? I'm a bit reticent to just put my details in the form, not least because I find the language style a little odd (lots of strange capitalisation and phrasing). No offence intended - just worried it's some nefarious information gathering attempt, so looking for assurance (of sorts) here.

Comment

Originally posted by bandemelbs View Post
            If you live abroad, why would you pay anything?
            Well I do intend to go back, and in any case I'd truly prefer to be bankrupt than an outlaw!

Anyway, currently looking into what these group reps are doing, so hopefully it won't come to that.

Comment

The debt hasn't materialised yet though has it. It will be 5 years from when you get the APN

Comment

Originally posted by another123 View Post
                Does anyone know who runs Norla Edge Former Employee Self Help Group EBT Employee Benefit Trust ? I'm a bit reticent to just put my details in the form, not least because I find the language style a little odd (lots of strange capitalisation and phrasing). No offence intended - just worried it's some nefarious information gathering attempt, so looking for assurance (of sorts) here.
                Have no fear, that's a pucker group which many forum members here belong to (it's one of the groups referenced in the first post of this thread). Rest assured.

Comment

Ahhh

Originally posted by convict View Post
                  The debt hasn't materialised yet though has it. It will be 5 years from when you get the APN
                  Ahhh - I just kind of assumed that the debt would be from 2004 / 2005. Oh well, perhaps not so good for me.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterF View Post
                    Have no fear, that's a pucker group which many forum members here belong to (it's one of the groups referenced in the first post of this thread). Rest assured.
                    Ok thanks for the added assurance.
                    Last edited by another123; 22 September 2014, 08:04.

Comment

I'm thinking of paying up but................

Hi everyone,

I'm a first time poster on this thread but I've been following it since it began. I was involved with the Norla/Edge scheme for a very short period of time (a few months) and have so far chosen not to pay up on HMRC's demands.

I have received the latest letter from HMRC offering me the opportunity to pay before January 2015 in return for immunity from penalties and fines etc. The amount owed is still significant but probably a good price to pay to get this mess out of the way so that I can live my life without fear of what could happen. In all honesty the strategies offered by this forum are too technical for me and the work involved in getting up to speed with how the law could work in my favour etc just doesn't outweigh the benefits of succumbing to the Revenue's demands - absolutely sickening as it is.

In order to take up the Revenue's offer I have been asked to provide details of the loans I took whilst with Norla/Edge. I think I have managed to work this out from the statements I still have but I would feel more comfortable if I could tie it all up with what Advantage Accountants submitted to the Inland Revenue at the time. This was something I never got sight of, which concerns me, as does the fact that when I contacted them they refused to deal with me and just redirected me to Michelle Booth. I've called Michelle Booth's number countless times now and I am always told that she isn't available (for whatever reason) but a message will be passed on for me to call her back. Why do some people think she has been helpful by the way? She was part of the big con in the first place and has strung us along ever since it became apparent we were in trouble. Does anyone have her correct email address by the way? That seems to be top secret too whenever I call.

I'm actually doubtful that Michelle could provide me with the information I'm looking for anyway so my question is, how do I get it? I'm thinking that surely I should be able to demand that Advantage Accounts provide me with it but so far they have refused. Is there any kind of Law I can threaten them with or would I be just as well explaining the situation to the Revenue and asking them to provide copies of what was submitted? The feeling I get from this forum is that I should be generally weary about anything I say to the Revenue so any guidance would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                      X