• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Norla Consulting - Greenbay and Edge Consulting employers - who else?

Hi,
    I was employed offshore by Norla Consulting, using Greenbay and Edge Consulting.

I think EBTs were administered by Tenon in IOM.

I received COP8 letters for 2005 and 2006 tax years (in 2007 and 2008 respectively). Nothing since. Norla informed me they were 'dealing' with the enquiry.

In July I received the Settlement Offer letter :-(

So firstly do I just declare any tax free loan income for those 2 tax years (only 2 tax years I was employed by these employers)?

Secondly, is there any group for those using Norla?

Thanks,

Bunnster

:-)

Comment

Originally posted by bandemelbs View Post
      If you live abroad, why would you pay anything? I left the UK 6-years ago and they've got a snowball's chance in hell of getting a penny from me.
      It depends where you live now, but that is not necessarily the case.

I believe that HMRC could get a CCJ in the UK to make you bankrupt and that some governments would recognise that judgement and enforce it locally.

All supposition at this stage but I would definitely make sure of where you stand

Comment

Originally posted by Bunnster View Post
        Hi,
        I was employed offshore by Norla Consulting, using Greenbay and Edge Consulting.

I think EBTs were administered by Tenon in IOM.

I received COP8 letters for 2005 and 2006 tax years (in 2007 and 2008 respectively). Nothing since. Norla informed me they were 'dealing' with the enquiry.

In July I received the Settlement Offer letter :-(

So firstly do I just declare any tax free loan income for those 2 tax years (only 2 tax years I was employed by these employers)?

Secondly, is there any group for those using Norla?

Thanks,

Bunnster

:-)
        Read the first post

Comment

Originally posted by GoneSouth View Post
          It depends where you live now, but that is not necessarily the case.

I believe that HMRC could get a CCJ in the UK to make you bankrupt and that some governments would recognise that judgement and enforce it locally.

All supposition at this stage but I would definitely make sure of where you stand
          Please substantiate your comments with evidence as it sounds like pure speculation. I've read countless quotes on this site that HMRC don't actually pursue individuals to bankruptcy, though that doesn't sound correct to me. How bankruptcy can be extended from one jurisdiction to another (from a legal perspective) is beyond me. As mentioned, show where you sourced this from.

I've done a lot of research on this already and can't find anything remotely close to your claims. I fortunately have dual citizenship (neither of which is British). Which country are they going to choose? One isn't an English speaking country. How are they going to get around that? The non-English speaking country has a very good track record of looking after its citizens on several front, which is re-assuring.

All sounds like a lot of rubbish, similar to that being churned out by HMRC themselves.

Comment

If you live abroad, why would you pay anything? I left the UK 6-years ago and they've got a snowball's chance in hell of getting a penny from me.
            Whether HMRC can pursue you for payment overseas depends where you live -

INS2600 - Mutual Assistance in the Recovery of Debt (MARD) cases

Comment

Often the safest countries from HMRC are not ones where you might want to live.

Anywhere in the EC forget it. (I know personally of a Spanish citizen who was chased by the Spanish tax authorities, after she had returned home, for a debt on behalf of HMRC)

Australia, New Zealand, Canada a bit better.

USA surprisingly quite good apparently, even though the IRS has an even fiercer reputation than HMRC.

For optimum protection you need to go further off the beaten track.

Comment

Please substantiate your comments with evidence as it sounds like pure speculation. I've read countless quotes on this site that HMRC don't actually pursue individuals to bankruptcy, though that doesn't sound correct to me. How bankruptcy can be extended from one jurisdiction to another (from a legal perspective) is beyond me. As mentioned, show where you sourced this from.

I've done a lot of research on this already and can't find anything remotely close to your claims. I fortunately have dual citizenship (neither of which is British). Which country are they going to choose? One isn't an English speaking country. How are they going to get around that? The non-English speaking country has a very good track record of looking after its citizens on several front, which is re-assuring.

All sounds like a lot of rubbish, similar to that being churned out by HMRC themselves.
                Maybe we can all come and live with you.

Comment

I've done a lot of research on this already[...]
                  Really?

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    USA surprisingly quite good apparently, even though the IRS has an even fiercer reputation than HMRC.
                    Given the furore in the past few years regarding the imbalance of our extradition treaties, that doesn't particularly surprise me.

Comment

New Zealand

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                      Often the safest countries from HMRC are not ones where you might want to live.

Anywhere in the EC forget it. (I know personally of a Spanish citizen who was chased by the Spanish tax authorities, after she had returned home, for a debt on behalf of HMRC)

Australia, New Zealand, Canada a bit better.

For optimum protection you need to go further off the beaten track.
                      I've been trawling through the HMRC web pages to see what type of agreement they have with New Zealand (my adopted country).

Found out that:

"Countries with which the UK has a DTA containing debt recovery provisions and an MOU/MOA:
                      New Zealand, the Faroes and South Africa."

I still need to fully understand what DTA, MOU and MOA mean, but it looks like there is an agreement in place between HMRC and NZ's IRD.

I don't think it's all bad (for me at least) as on the same web-page, it says:

1) NIC's are not covered in the agreement
                      2) Only debts under 5 years old are covered.

I'm hoping I've got this correct.

Comment

Working...
                      X