• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC enquiries for EBT schemes through SANZAR

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mars104 View Post
    Hello could I get PM access please? Was with Sanzar in 2011 and have received a settlement offer and 2 APNs (one with a crazy guessimate figure, and a new revised one using the actual loan amount.

Trying to decide if I should settle, understand why they have decided to exclude IHT from the settlement and what my potential IHT liability is.
    Just upgraded your account so you should now have access to the PM system.

Comment

Access request

Hi,I was with Sanzar 2009/11 please can you grant me access to the pm system

Comment

Originally posted by mellowman View Post
        Hi,I was with Sanzar 2009/11 please can you grant me access to the pm system
        You now have access to the PM system.

Comment

HMRC enquiries for EBT schemes through SANZAR

Re:Sanzar Solutions

HMRC have sent me letters saying I owe £11,220 but today have received another letter "Notice of Penalty assessment" £588.11 penalty taking it to £11,762.

Presumably because I have not paid.

It is for 2010-2011

I sort advise from someone before and I was told to ignore it because HMRC are just scaremongering.

However, I don't think these letters or fines are going to stop.

I need to reply with something. Can anyone advise me what I need to reply as my understanding was that at the time it was all legit.

Although a loan that doesn't need to be paid back does sound too good to be true.

Not surprisingly they have closed down down but at the time they said it was all legitimate and it was a loop-hole in terms of loan that didn't need to be paid back.

They were based in Isle of Man and I was classed as an employee. I guess you all know that being on this forum.

Please held as this is really stressing me out and I don't have that sort of money to hand to pay HMRC now. Also, I don't want to pay if I was not doing anything illegal at the time because I genuinely did not know. I assumed it was a legal loophole.

Also, has anyone actually been successful in getting HMRC to write off this tax avoidance debt?

Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

Regards

<mod snip. Posting your real name is not a great idea>

Comment

Ouch! enjoy your 5% penalty. In three months they'll add a further 5%, then another 5%
            I don't know where to start... It sounds like you have an awful lot of catching up to do.
            Maybe by pointing you to hmrc-APN.info. Then to Big Group.

Don't delude yourself that this is going to go away or that HMRC is going to "write it off".
            Check the above links, and do your homework.

PS: You might want to give a slap to whoever you "sort advise from", and seek professional advice.
            (not that you can do much but pay or try and arrange TTP, as obviously you missed the time window to make a representation)
            Last edited by DotasScandal; 8 October 2015, 16:17.
            Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Access to PM Rights

Can I have PM rights please I currently have two APN for my time with Sanzar 2009-2010 & 2010-2011.

Comment

Please don't panic and remember the facts. HMRC has NEVER won a "loans as salary" case. On every occasion they have tried to take one to court they have lost.

So yes the APN is scary, and yes if you have the money you have to pay. But please don't forget there is a very strong chance and legal precedence for HMRC to loose once the scheme eventually goes to court. You will get the money back plus interest and i'm pretty sure the lawyers will be adding costs to HMRC for undue hardship and stress caused on forcing a payment when no payment was legally due.

Don't believe a word HMRC tell you. They have not won 80% of cases. They have lost EVERY loan as salary case they've tried.

Don't panic.

Comment

Originally posted by Whysoserious View Post
                  Please don't panic and remember the facts. HMRC has NEVER won a "loans as salary" case. On every occasion they have tried to take one to court they have lost.

So yes the APN is scary, and yes if you have the money you have to pay. But please don't forget there is a very strong chance and legal precedence for HMRC to loose once the scheme eventually goes to court. You will get the money back plus interest and i'm pretty sure the lawyers will be adding costs to HMRC for undue hardship and stress caused on forcing a payment when no payment was legally due.

Don't believe a word HMRC tell you. They have not won 80% of cases. They have lost EVERY loan as salary case they've tried.

Don't panic.
                  Good idea not to panic but unfortunately, HMRC did win the Boyle case

Comment

Originally posted by vern19 View Post
                    Good idea not to panic but unfortunately, HMRC did win the Boyle case
                    And that is all they've got so far. The scheme used by Boyle was a shambles. We're talking about properly implemented EBT structures. Case law so far is firmly against HMRC, and more judgements due this year will hopefully confirm that.
                    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
                      And that is all they've got so far. The scheme used by Boyle was a shambles. We're talking about properly implemented EBT structures. Case law so far is firmly against HMRC, and more judgements due this year will hopefully confirm that.
                      I'd be interested to know which contractor type 'loans instead of salary' Tribunals HMRC have lost. I'm not trying to be argumentative and having been involved in this sh1t, I'm hoping that HMRC are forced to see reason. I know they have been given a 'bloody nose' so far in the Rangers case but I doubt that is relevant to the average contractor

Comment

Working...
                      X