• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC enquiries for EBT schemes through SANZAR

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Admin

Please could you give me PM rights. I was with Sanzar from 2008-9

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by solacc View Post
      Dear Admin

Please could you give me PM rights. I was with Sanzar from 2008-9

Thank you!
      Done!

Comment

Originally posted by Jammie View Post
        Hi All ,

I used the Sanzar / Garraway Schemes in 09/10 & 10/11 tax years.

Needless to say I am a little dissappointed that chslimited are now advising us to settle.

Admin can I please have rights to send messages as i would like to join the Private group.

Thanks,

Jammie.
        Looks like I forgot to post but I upgraded your account last week as well...

Comment

Would you settle?

Would you settle if your debt was £7,500? It goes against my principles because of the way the govt and HMRC have gone about this and I would have to extend the mortgage etc, but I received APN notification letters at the weekend.
          I am one of those ones who has stuck her head in the sand to be honest , all the while thinking "Ok, worst case scenario, I extend the mortgage" (I am a single Mum so all entirely my decision), but I have been trawling the threads all weekend trying to decide whether to join the Sanzar group (presuming this will not stop me having to pay the APN right now) or pay to join the Judicial Review.

Any opinions gratefully received, I know only I can decide at the end of the day.

Penguin

Comment

I think it's a question that most people on this forum have asked themselves at some point ,

Settlement seemed quite straightford when it was first announced then they moved the goalposts once again & started talking about inheritance tax.

Only you can decide if you want to risk settling & finding out later on that other scheme users have had APN payments returned in the event of hmrc losing.

Or risk hmrc winning and adding penalties etc at a later date.

My fear given their past track record is weather settlement will ever really guarantee full & final settlement !

Rock & a hard place !

Originally posted by Penguin View Post
            Would you settle if your debt was £7,500? It goes against my principles because of the way the govt and HMRC have gone about this and I would have to extend the mortgage etc, but I received APN notification letters at the weekend.
            I am one of those ones who has stuck her head in the sand to be honest , all the while thinking "Ok, worst case scenario, I extend the mortgage" (I am a single Mum so all entirely my decision), but I have been trawling the threads all weekend trying to decide whether to join the Sanzar group (presuming this will not stop me having to pay the APN right now) or pay to join the Judicial Review.

Any opinions gratefully received, I know only I can decide at the end of the day.

Penguin

Comment

Meant pay the APN

Thanks. Yes I meant pay the APN rather than settle. Is anyone planning to just NOT pay the APN?

Shrek77 - yes that was the other thing I read on these threads, that even if you paid up it might not be the end of the matter.

Comment

APN received todays for 9-10

And it states on the last page that:

"The amount of your accelerated payment does not include any additional NICs that may still be due"...

I understood HMRC were stating this is other income?

Comment

I understood that NICs are, legally, the responsibility of the employer. HMRC bullying?

Comment

Originally posted by Penguin View Post

Penguin
                    My PERSONAL opinion.

If you can pay the APN, then pay it.

If you have to agree terms to do this, then do so. (I've seen several now and instalments over 12/18/24 months appear to be on offer - depending on circumstances.)

If you go the above route, contact HMRC asap. If you don't want to do this yourself, get an intermediary to do it, preferably qualified. (PM if you wish - I can deal with a limited number of pro bono cases).

Join the Sanzar group, but NOT for the JR against the APN (see below*).

Paying the APN is not an admission of "guilt" nor settling but it will prevent a penalty arising, which a JR action may not.

The group will keep you up to date and provide support and if it comes to litigation will spread your cost.

*I am not a believer in the JR process. The best that will be achieved is a delay in payment. If you get 12 months I'd be surprised, more likely 6 months. Even if this JR is successful the rules will be changed pretty quickly once the new Government arrives.

Do the numbers. If you owe £7,500 and the JR fails after a year you owe £1,125 in penalties. (see other threads for whether penalty applies even when the JR is running - best guess at the moment is "yes").

That debt has also attracted a further £225 in interest. Total addition to your debt £1,350.

Pay the APN in say 12 instalments from now. Reduces the interest charge by around £120 and probably removes penalty (another issue that is uncertain so this is a best guess). Net £105, against possible £1,350.

You may have additional interest on borrowing of course but rates are currently low.

You may also get all/some of the £7,500 back.

DO NOT SETTLE.

Pay the APN, join the group.

Like I say a personal opinion.
                    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Thank you

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                      My PERSONAL opinion.

If you can pay the APN, then pay it.

If you have to agree terms to do this, then do so. (I've seen several now and instalments over 12/18/24 months appear to be on offer - depending on circumstances.)

If you go the above route, contact HMRC asap. If you don't want to do this yourself, get an intermediary to do it, preferably qualified. (PM if you wish - I can deal with a limited number of pro bono cases).

Join the Sanzar group, but NOT for the JR against the APN (see below*).

Paying the APN is not an admission of "guilt" nor settling but it will prevent a penalty arising, which a JR action may not.

The group will keep you up to date and provide support and if it comes to litigation will spread your cost.

*I am not a believer in the JR process. The best that will be achieved is a delay in payment. If you get 12 months I'd be surprised, more likely 6 months. Even if this JR is successful the rules will be changed pretty quickly once the new Government arrives.

Do the numbers. If you owe £7,500 and the JR fails after a year you owe £1,125 in penalties. (see other threads for whether penalty applies even when the JR is running - best guess at the moment is "yes").

That debt has also attracted a further £225 in interest. Total addition to your debt £1,350.

Pay the APN in say 12 instalments from now. Reduces the interest charge by around £120 and probably removes penalty (another issue that is uncertain so this is a best guess). Net £105, against possible £1,350.

You may have additional interest on borrowing of course but rates are currently low.

You may also get all/some of the £7,500 back.

DO NOT SETTLE.

Pay the APN, join the group.

Like I say a personal opinion.

Thank you for taking the time to work all that out Webberg I have some other questions about calculating how much I owe, so I may PM you.

I have paperwork ready to verify myself and join the group. Just having a bit of scanner trouble!

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                      X