• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AM Limited COP8 HMRC Investigation Letter..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ric_77 View Post
    Yes joined their JR and await further instructions from then, its all new to me since the whole APN letters came so really not sure what to expect.
    Ill take a look at the Big Group, is that basically an indepth forum for users of such schemes?
    There is a forum on BG, but BG is not JUST a forum (and the forum is not the point of BG.)
    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

AM Limited - why are we suing them?!

Like others, I am subject to an APN from HMRC, as a result of being sold the AML scheme back in 2011.

I am across their Judicial Review action to challenge the legality of APN's, but the it's all gone quiet.

AML staff sold their tax planning product (reasonably aggressively) and made written and oral representations as to it's legality. It would seem that those representations were false. Question - why aren't we going against AML for misrepresentation? I accept that tax liability rests with the individual, but AML's product was clearly mis-sold and mis-represented. Surely that is actionable? HMRC will win surely win out, and many will be tens of thousands in the red to them because of this gross misrepresentation.

Thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

JR - don't pin any hopes on it. Can delay your payment of APN but can also cause penalties

Get your scheme case to FTT. Only way out is winning in court and if EBT scheme is correctly implement you will win.

Seems like HMRC has lost again in high court agains Rangers. Yet to be officially confirmed.

Only if new buddies which Cameroon has put in House of Lords don't twist the justice, HMRC are getting into a desperate corner.

Comment

Originally posted by Dandino View Post
          Like others, I am subject to an APN from HMRC, as a result of being sold the AML scheme back in 2011.

I am across their Judicial Review action to challenge the legality of APN's, but the it's all gone quiet.

AML staff sold their tax planning product (reasonably aggressively) and made written and oral representations as to it's legality. It would seem that those representations were false. Question - why aren't we going against AML for misrepresentation? I accept that tax liability rests with the individual, but AML's product was clearly mis-sold and mis-represented. Surely that is actionable? HMRC will win surely win out, and many will be tens of thousands in the red to them because of this gross misrepresentation.

Thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
          Many ex-AMLers are grieved at what has happened. We all are annoyed and angry, however lucky that AML are still around and have stated they will fund FTT. Unless your a legal mind I wouldn't hazard a guess on the level of aggressiveness, no doubt they used tax experts to set up their schemes and used legal counsel for advice. After all AML was used by many Chartered Accountants for their clients so they were highly regarded by them. That doesn't however alleviate the fact these schemes were missold by professionals, but trying to get people like accountants in court is very expensive.

It's annoying I know, but AML are still offering help & advice. Use them. I do and I have joined Big Group too, a body that pools together knowledge and help.
          http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Joining the Big Group?

Hi LandRover, tried to join the Big Group forum, but it says the a administrator has disabled new account registrations?

Comment

Originally posted by stibbok View Post
              Hi LandRover, tried to join the Big Group forum, but it says the a administrator has disabled new account registrations?
              Email [email protected]

Mark it for attention of Rhys or Graham.
              http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Hi. I used PBT AML for a year and a bit. I started in March 2014 and Stopped earlier this year. I have received Compliance Check letter for FY 13-14 Self Asessment return. Has anybody else received one? AML say they will handle it and they are discussing with HMRC. Is it set 40% of loan value that HMRC consider as unpaid tax..Wondering if any Settlement opportunities will pop up or AML will be able to do anything. Can I request PM access. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzyg View Post
                  Hi. I used PBT AML for a year and a bit. I started in March 2014 and Stopped earlier this year. I have received Compliance Check letter for FY 13-14 Self Asessment return. Has anybody else received one? AML say they will handle it and they are discussing with HMRC. Is it set 40% of loan value that HMRC consider as unpaid tax..Wondering if any Settlement opportunities will pop up or AML will be able to do anything. Can I request PM access. Thanks.
                  Hi
                  Ive not heard of anyone receiving APNs for anything but EBT schemes - AM limited 2011 or before.
                  Think most people that used AM after this and used PBT have received compliance checks through but have just passed to AM accordingly....
                  Many people believe PBT are next but this was NON Dotas so they will need to go down another route.
                  All in the same position....
                  I am curious where u heard that it would be 40%?
                  If u took home 85% and should have taken 70-75% surely it's the 10-15% gab that they will want?
                  Any advise appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by SCR View Post
                    Hi
                    Ive not heard of anyone receiving APNs for anything but EBT schemes - AM limited 2011 or before.
                    Think most people that used AM after this and used PBT have received compliance checks through but have just passed to AM accordingly....
                    Many people believe PBT are next but this was NON Dotas so they will need to go down another route.
                    All in the same position....
                    I am curious where u heard that it would be 40%?
                    If u took home 85% and should have taken 70-75% surely it's the 10-15% gab that they will want?
                    Any advise appreciated
                    Most likely scenario is that HMRC concentrate on the "easy win" of DOTAS schemes and get the APNs away.

Next they come after the non DOTAS schemes by issuing a Follower Notice and then (or together with) and APN.

Or they change the law to say that they can issue an APN without a DOTAS SRN but if the believe tax avoidance is present.

I would say 12 months max as there are 2 budget statements (Autumn and next March) to so this. Add say 6 months as a sop to Parliamentary procedure and Robert is your mother's brother.

If you're in a non DOTAS scheme get organised - NOW.
                    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Also hearing elsewhere the chimes of:

'I'm ok, I was (and even more baffling) am still in a non-dotas scheme !!!

Wake up and smell the damn coffee !!!!
                      STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Working...
                      X