• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Latest Settlement Offer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lowpaidworker View Post
    Does anyone know if the below statement is true??

Althought Tax and NI is deducted by the employer and paid through PAYE the Tax Payer still remains responsible for ensuring that the employer is paying the correct payments on their behalf. We cannot comment on individual employers nor can we get involved with contacting them as unfortunately the responsibility to ensure tax is correct is ultimtely the customers.
    I would say that it is at best a simplistic statement, unsupported by any analysis, but it suits HMRC's flawed argument.

Why not ask HMRC why they think this?

Why not ask HMRC why they are stating what is at best their opinion, as fact?
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
      I would say that it is at best a simplistic statement, unsupported by any analysis, but it suits HMRC's flawed argument.

Why not ask HMRC why they think this?

Why not ask HMRC why they are stating what is at best their opinion, as fact?
      Thanks I have challenged that. I was trying to find on their own website / charter around whos resposbility it is to deduct and pay tax. I recall something in he rangers case but HMRC are making their own website more and more complicated to find stuff

Comment

Thanks I have challenged that. I was trying to find on their own website / charter around whos resposbility it is to deduct and pay tax. I recall something in he rangers case but HMRC are making their own website more and more complicated to find stuff
        I suggest that you start with ITEPA 2003 and go from there.

(Some formal tax training would be a great help if you are).

(No, me neither).

Comment

just needed pointing.....you are a star... thank you

Comment

yeah its a real web of info. Part 11 PAYE Chapter 2 general makes provisions for the payer to be accountable. Anyway Ive asked for them to let me know if that is fact or opinion. I also asked Keith Gordon who gave me a similar answer to yours. Simplistic but misleading ........

Comment

yeah its a real web of info. Part 11 PAYE Chapter 2 general makes provisions for the payer to be accountable. Anyway Ive asked for them to let me know if that is fact or opinion. I also asked Keith Gordon who gave me a similar answer to yours. Simplistic but misleading ........
              I've always thought that Keith was a decent chap.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
              X