• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CALL TO ACTION: Loan Charge debate on Thursday the 11th

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Gosh. Well I foresaw it. And begged those who went DTA to Loans not to do it. Several took the attitude of needing to do Loans to pay off the DTA tax!

Once retrospection was out, it was only going to go one way.

Its very sad that this is all too predictable.

What should have happened is that when HMRC were first aware of schemes they should have closed them down prospectively. They did with a few schemes. DTA they waited 7 years. Loan schemes they waited 16 years.
    thanks Brillo ... I wish I'd listened at bit harder !!

Comment

Today’s debate resumed around 16:00 on the parliament tv, and Stride giving his response about 16:45

Comment

Stride conforming that HMRC have a dedicated team to manage TTP and there is no definite limit to time to pay. Ok how about £50 a month for the next 50 years

Comment

Originally posted by Iter View Post
          Stride conforming that HMRC have a dedicated team to manage TTP and there is no definite limit to time to pay. Ok how about £50 a month for the next 50 years
          So Loan Charge stands?

Comment

So Loan Charge stands?
            what were you expecting? The debate was pointless as there is no binding outcome, Mel can simply ignore. Surprised he even bothered to show up.
            There are several other avenues for APPG / MPs though to try and effect change if they can get a majority of MPs so lets see what happens (Statutory Instruments amendment, Amendment in 2020 Finance Bill due this summer though this may take effect too late....).

Comment

Originally posted by wilks View Post
              what were you expecting? The debate was pointless as there is no binding outcome, Mel can simply ignore. Surprised he even bothered to show up.
              There are several other avenues for APPG / MPs though to try and effect change if they can get a majority of MPs so lets see what happens (Statutory Instruments amendment, Amendment in 2020 Finance Bill due this summer though this may take effect too late....).
              I have to admit I was expecting a defeat. However LCAG have exceeded all expectations . They have really challenged HMRC.

The thing is to challenge the finance act its in effect a vote of no confidence in the government.

It will be interesting to see what LCAG do next. Personally I think they have been way too polite so far. They remind me of the fathers right movement up until 2002 - asking politely. How long before the penny drops?

The thing about fathers rights is you have a steady stream of victims each year. So they had time - took 4 years to get the Children Act 2006. Tick tock.....

Comment

not sure

I have to admit I was expecting a defeat. However LCAG have exceeded all expectations . They have really challenged HMRC.

The thing is to challenge the finance act its in effect a vote of no confidence in the government.

It will be interesting to see what LCAG do next. Personally I think they have been way too polite so far. They remind me of the fathers right movement up until 2002 - asking politely. How long before the penny drops?

The thing about fathers rights is you have a steady stream of victims each year. So they had time - took 4 years to get the Children Act 2006. Tick tock.....
                public opinion is against tax avoidance news ... so can't be compared with fathers right movement!

Comment

Originally posted by RobScott View Post
                  public opinion is against tax avoidance news ... so can't be compared with fathers right movement!
                  Public opinion was always against fathers rights. It was always assumed if a man was not seeing his children he had done something wrong. That changed between 2002 and 2006.

Public opioion is against tax avoidance. However it is against retrospection. It is against not closing loopholes quickly. And it is against forcing people into suicide.

I have gone public with my own mental health issues to try to help LCAG. I don't know what I would have done without Phil helping me against HMRC(for DTA).

And I intend to repay the favour by helping LCAG all I can.

Comment

Originally posted by wilks View Post
                    The debate wasn't pointless. There is no binding outcome but the motion was won and is now a matter of record.

Comment

Originally posted by NeedTheSunshine View Post
                      The debate wasn't pointless. There is no binding outcome but the motion was won and is now a matter of record.
                      ...to be consigned to the dust of the history books.
                      I think that "winning" a debate, with no subsequent impact is of very little interest/consolation to those facing the tax bills.

Comment

Working...
                      X