• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NTRT give HMRC a bloody nose

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
    Sorry, but once again you show your lack of knowledge (which should be a concern to anyone using your scheme to fight HMRC).

UTTT decisions are binding as they set a precedent unlike FTTTs that do not. The decision of a UTTT is appeallable only on a point of law. And, if that is shown to be sustained then the decision is set aside.
    So until we know if an appeal will be made, the decision is not binding.

If there is no appeal, then I agree it sets precedent.

If there is an appeal, it does not and is essentially "trumped" by the Court of Appeal.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by Calmbeforethestorm View Post
      Perhaps one of the resident experts could clarify?
      There are very few experts round here. Luckily Graham and Phil are around to provide some sanity. And mods will delete anything that is obviously and totally wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
        So until we know if an appeal will be made, the decision is not binding.

If there is no appeal, then I agree it sets precedent.

If there is an appeal, it does not and is essentially "trumped" by the Court of Appeal.
        Sorry Graham but you're clearly out of your depth and talking garbage as your comment "So until we know if an appeal will be made, the decision is not binding.

Wrong! A UTTT decision sets a precedent as soon as the judge hands it down. That means it is binding as soon as it is given.

As a UTTT decision can only be 'appealled' on a point of law, Leave to appeal first must be obtained. This is either given by the UTT or more usually the CoA.

Only if the CoA is satisfied that Leave should be granted, it either upholds the original decision in full or in part or, it sets it aside.

The UTTT's decision does not become invalid or less binding simply because Leave to appeal is made. Leave might not be granted or may be granted and like Gittins, the appellant simply fails to follow the appeal through in time.

As I said, people who are using your services should be a bit worried by now with such lack of basic knowledge you have displayed.

Comment

Originally posted by Calmbeforethestorm View Post
          Perhaps one of the resident experts could clarify?
          I did. He's talking rubbish. Trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
            I did. He's talking rubbish. Trust me.
            Why should we trust you? What qualifications do you have?

Its WUC who is talking rubbish. Trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by GammaMadrid View Post
              Its WUC who is talking rubbish. Trust me.
              No to both.

A decision of the UTT is binding on the FTT (whether or not an appeal has been made). It is obviously not binding on the CoA, CoS or the SC.

Is it binding on another UTT? Probably, unless there is a compelling reason not to (see Chapter 85 of The Upper Tribunals Handbook). There is a case (not to do with tax) which suggests something slightly different - a single judge must follow a three judge panel’s decision. A three judge panel should follow a single judge’s decision unless there are compelling reasons not to. The same goes for a single judge following another single judge’s decision. I've no reason to doubt that this would not apply to tax too.

Comment

Originally posted by Iliketax View Post
                No to both.

A decision of the UTT is binding on the FTT (whether or not an appeal has been made). It is obviously not binding on the CoA, CoS or the SC.

Is it binding on another UTT? Probably, unless there is a compelling reason not to (see Chapter 85 of The Upper Tribunals Handbook). There is a case (not to do with tax) which suggests something slightly different - a single judge must follow a three judge panel’s decision. A three judge panel should follow a single judge’s decision unless there are compelling reasons not to. The same goes for a single judge following another single judge’s decision. I've no reason to doubt that this would not apply to tax too.
                This is a bit like "The answer is 42. What is the question?".

I made the original statement about it being binding. Nowhere did I say what on.

So if George wins at UTTT, does that mean LCAG will definetly win at FTTT? And if HMRC win at UTTT, does that mean they will lose ever other IR35 case at FTTT? To be fair, they lose most IR35 cases anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by GammaMadrid View Post
                  This is a bit like "The answer is 42. What is the question?"
                  Good. So you've got your answer.

Comment

One way to avoid this whole thing is to persuade enough mps to ask for a reconsideration of the matter and that to conclude that the LC legislation needs amending or scrapping altogether.

The other being a successful challenge or challenges in the TT's and/or Courts on whether or not the legislation is legal , constitutional or applicable to a given set of circumstances...perhaps even the settlement contract and process itself could be challenged as unfair contract terms or too coercive in a modern democracy . Arguing the toss on finer points of what is binding on who between ourselves is rather pointless IMHO.

I'll concede that a "resolution" such as sought by BIG Group could be possible but seems limited to Contractors only who are not the only ones potentially caught . There may be many schemes which are not caught by this batch of legislation, but that wont stop HMRC seeking fresh retrospective law when they start to find out that people have slipped the net.BIG Group have stated above that litigation is a possibility....presumably if reasoned argument fails.

Comment

Working...
                    X