• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC settlement Deadlines/delays and the LC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QCApproved View Post
    approx 30k depending on your salary and factoring in IHT
    Ok thanks.

Comment

I used Kinsella & Keypay

Would be interested in connecting up to discuss

Originally posted by Thin White Duke View Post
      I'm in a similar situation.

Received letter today. I used Kinsella/Keypay and repaid loans in 2010. Can't get through to HMRC to tell them, yet again, that the loans were repaid in 2010 and therefore I don't have anything outstanding.

I'll be interested to see what response you get when called back. I'll keep trying to get through and see what their response is. They have had all information regarding my repayment for several years now.

Comment

More than IT contractors caught up?

Am I correct in saying that it is not just IT contractors caught up in this nightmare?

Many other professions including MP's?

Comment

Jesus.......

whilst I'm ok on the ole' calculator and would happily pit my skills against any HMRC employee they really do seem pretty useless but then flip to their side.... this is all so utterly confusing.

I was a contractor in what was an Umbrella scheme of sorts for 6 years... yep 6 years..... and as soon as I got wind it was not what was explained, i.e. HMRC letters I left. Which effectively was around 2016. However so much damage had been done before I realised and found out.

So got the contract mid late 2009...hurray!!!.... having spent 20 years as PAYE only to lose my job in the credit crunch I had no choice but had to take the contract (perm was not an option and I was 4 months behind on my mortgage). So my agency recommended an umbrella firm as I didn't want the paper work hassle…. and that appears to be my downfall. Was it their fault ?..... probably not as they recommended one of the popular ones that had HRMC compliant splattered over their glossy website... (Still got the pictures to prove it)

I was told I would take home just over 70% of my gross rate excluding any VAT. Seemed about right as I was nowhere near the 45/50% tax band and given HMRC would be earning in VAT almost what I paid in PAYE I thought they must relishing the new wheelbarrows to transfer round these new takings. What I didn't realise or properly understand is that the scheme took the vast majority and I didn't ask as I didn't want the hassle of the paper work, never mentioned all the fine print.

So 2015 firstly I agreed settlement for an EBT under an APN for my first 2 years and having to pay a tax advisor to explain math’s and taxation to HMRC staff, which I could have done and charge me the price of a decent second hand car.. and then then tax advantage to HMRC which was horrendously more. Killed me for two years paying that back which I finally did recently.

Worse was back In 2011 I was transferred out of the EBT (remember didn’t know till 2015) and into a "new" scheme and funny enough was a new Co name, still got all the mails... "X becomes Y" please sign the paper work to get paid. I still had no idea what the provider was talking about.

New company new scheme... a little less take home but don't worry its fine. Whilst I was busy doing my job 12 hours a day, rolling home knackered but happy in that I was working after such tough times and doing a job which I'm good at I thought oh well the Umbrella must know what they are talking about heck they had HMRC approved on their website and in two years they never failed to pay me. (Note I never got anywhere near this 90% take home pay I see on a Google!!). So around 2014 the HMRC brown letters start to appear for more years…. Roll forward year and half letters between HMRC and me and my Umbrella… Umbrella telling me they are talking baloney and not law…. Blah blah blah don't worry here's your response just cut and paste. Then Rangers lose.. all hell breaks loose.... WTF.. more brown paper on my doorstep that in my sewer.

Yes in some regards it’s all my own fault but I am no tax expert and don't claim to be...

So roll forward to now....I have no sleep right now, probably less than 3 hours a night when eventually my brain stops contemplating the financial mess I am in and I fall to sleep, aided by a bottle of red, drink more now to banish to worries and stress. Then I wake up to 6am alarm... stress, more worry while I sit on the train to work, think about my two little kids not even at secondary school, a mortgage one of those Rangers footballers would hate and someone at HMRC that can't calculate basic tax for a given year to deal with and that's not opinion that's fact in my experience.

Here we are post Rangers and all those legal wrangles, opinions and rulings were passed all those greedy offshore scheme runners disappeared ... very quickly. I am left to pick up the pieces facing the freight train called HMRC with legislation and law and god knows what else I don't understand on their side. I feel like I am standing in front of a Lion, Alligator and Snake who all fancy my kids for lunch... me versus them that's my choice..... My kids don't understand nor does my wife. One day I hope to explain all this to them and my wife who works part time protecting vulnerable kids for a living funny enough.

Me... I am not rich. I have no way of paying these guys or to be fair any tax advisor. I'd rather fight the Lion, Alligator and Snake single handed... I'll lose but at least I go down fighting and I’ll have my dignity.

As for help... it won’t come. It’s an elimination process not clinic. I just wanted to survive... in the end I fear I may well lose that battle too but not for want of trying

Comment

A lot of people in the same position 100% of the "right amount amount of tax (TBC)" rests with you but a much smaller % of the causation
            Make sure you MP is taken through your story
            Join the LCAG, start kicking back to get the retrospective LC removed and a decent settlement offer on the table.
            Last edited by QCApproved; 6 August 2018, 16:11.

Comment

I think many can relate to your comments. Worry thrives on more worry it's a nasty cycle. However your not alone. And what's the worst that can happen? Your voluntarily go bankrupt. That's the very very worst Case.

And if you dont want to go bankrupt don't. They can't force you to. They would be happy with a charge on your house which falls below the mortgage that's all.

You don't have to sell it. Pain in the ass if you do want to sell one day but not the end of the world.

(P.s they would have to go through average of 56 weeks to get a civil court hearing and convince a high court judge the debt is legal. Which there's a strong challenge to. You have rights to appeal and more.

You definetly won't be forced out your family home. Doesn't happen. Bet you can't find one case online that hmrc forced a family out of their sole residence. Don't read or listen to scare stories about being forced out on the streets. There only interested in getting some form of settlement currently. If you want to order £10 a month and that's all you can afford then so be it. record every conversation and letter you get. Bat back to them questions.

join loan action group. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Don't give up the fight for what's right. Meet you mp face to face
              Last edited by Mrcurrey; 7 August 2018, 21:11.

Comment

Shrinking deadline?

Just received an e mail from those jolly jokers at HMRC saying of we dont get your information by 4 September ( 28 days from the date of the e mail) we will assume you dont want to settle.

Can they arbitrarily steal over 3 weeks of consideration time from me?

Comment

Originally posted by Calmbeforethestorm View Post
                  Just received an e mail from those jolly jokers at HMRC saying of we dont get your information by 4 September ( 28 days from the date of the e mail) we will assume you dont want to settle.

In AUS we typically get the mail past the due date and HMRC have stated that their obligation is the date it is sent regardless of the date it is received .

Comment

Originally posted by Calmbeforethestorm View Post

Is this new deadline the same for all of us? Do we have to get all info in by 4 Sept now?

Comment

Originally posted by kryten22uk View Post
                      Is this new deadline the same for all of us? Do we have to get all info in by 4 Sept now?
                      I wouldn't have thought so....its just what they wrote to me....probably an error anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X