• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Want to know how to fight this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about if we win, the lawyers gets X% of the amount HMRC demands? Kinda no win no fee, the more people we and the lawyers can recruit as a class action suit the more fees they will generate if they win.

Comment

Originally posted by philinlondon View Post
      How about if we win, the lawyers gets X% of the amount HMRC demands? Kinda no win no fee, the more people we and the lawyers can recruit as a class action suit the more fees they will generate if they win.
      There's virtually no chance of finding any firms or QCs who would do it on that basis.

It would have to be a virtual slam dunk for no win no fee, and it's far from that.

Comment

There are slam dunk cases in most aspects of the law. The major exception is HMRC.

Comment

I don’t think this would be viable for numerous reasons but I say that’s a shame as the scale of the idea is what’s required.
          If by some turn of events you find yourself in a position where you need and can afford the best available Tax QC I strongly recommend Julian Ghosh (I have no link to him whatsoever)

Comment

Originally posted by phil@dswtres View Post
            I don’t think this would be viable for numerous reasons but I say that’s a shame as the scale of the idea is what’s required.
            If by some turn of events you find yourself in a position where you need and can afford the best available Tax QC I strongly recommend Julian Ghosh (I have no link to him whatsoever)

Julian Ghosh, name rings a bell. He was the QC that said one of the "failed" schemes I was in was all above board and legal. In QC speech.

Comment

Originally posted by phil@dswtres View Post
              I know.

Maybe it's for the best though. Something like this may give false hope.

It's probably best if people come to terms with the fact that, one way or another (settlement or LC), they're going to have to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Loan Ranger View Post
                I know.

Maybe it's for the best though. Something like this may give false hope.

It's probably best if people come to terms with the fact that, one way or another (settlement or LC), they're going to have to pay.
                I would agree.
                If you settle, you pay.
                If you wait for LC then if you do not pay then there are fines and interest if you do not pay.
                I am sure any challenges will take years. So the cost just keeps ramping up.
                I believe the only people who can afford that option are the ones who will be made bankrupt anyway.
                So if the nerves can take it good luck to those that have to fight.
                Fortunately, or unfortunately, I think I will just have to settle.

Comment

Originally posted by me206et View Post
                  I am sure any challenges will take years.
                  Fighting something like this means, to some extent, putting your life on hold.

It can become an obsession which, if you're not careful, can affect other areas of your life and your health.

It's an unfair fight too because your opponent has unlimited resources and, at the end of the day, it's just a job to them. They're not going to lose any sleep over it.

And this is time in your life that you can never get back.

Comment

Working...
                  X