• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Repaying Loan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Loan Ranger View Post
    Suppose someone repaid the loans before 5/4/19.

Presumably, there would be no requirement to disclose anything under LC19 because there would no longer be any outstanding loans?
    That's not right. Have a look at para 35A(5) here (the one that starts "the fourth condition") of this: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...aph/10/enacted

Comment

Originally posted by Harrai View Post
      Thanks for the responses so far.

I am not an accountant, but my understanding is that HMRC have stated that loan should be repaid in cash for it to be considered as cleared.
      Technically, the legislation says "money" rather than "cash".

The trust could then invest the funds into a pension or similar. This would be an adequate answer to the motivation/purpose if HMRC ask.
      HMRC won't care what your motivation is as it wouldn't stop you getting a tax charge. Ask your accountant about s554B (the earmarking thing mentioned earlier on the thread) and why s554R(1)(c) would stop s554R applying.

Comment

Originally posted by Iliketax View Post
        That's not right. Have a look at para 35A(5) here (the one that starts "the fourth condition") of this: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...aph/10/enacted
        Thanks for correcting.

The bottom line is, it would be a hell of a gamble repaying the loans.

And actually, it wouldn't make any sense if the repayments are going to be used to fund a pension. You may as well make pension contributions in 2018/19 to relieve the LC, which would require less money than repaying the loans and would be compliant. It would also mean you wouldn't have to place your faith in the Trustees.
        Last edited by Loan Ranger; 13 April 2018, 11:15.

Comment

My circumstance is that I am not a UK resident, and there are many in a similar position to me. I have copied the post below from the Big Group thread as this is relevant:

Originally posted by webberg View Post
          This is a BG thread so I hope nobody minds that I pitch in.

If I understand the position correctly, a loan drawn whilst in the UK and from a trust connected to an employer is to be repaid in cash.

In itself, provided this is not part of a tax avoidance scheme, then the DR charge in 2019 will not apply.

The distribution of funds from the trust will be subject to the rules relating to transactions between trusts and beneficiaries.

A non UK trust paying an amount to a non UK resident beneficiary should not attract tax.

If the trust is deemed to be in the UK, then any growth on the repaid loan funds, may be subject to income tax.

It's possible that - if the trust is deemed to be in the UK and/or the distribution might be deemed to be a relevant step in Part 7A - that a charge applies. However that would be probably on the employer (presumably long gone) and I think there is almost no scope to transfer that to a non resident individual.

So apologies if I've stepped on toes, but in the circumstances described I think it would be difficult for a non resident individual to have a liability to UK tax on the DR charge or anything else.

(You will notice that those with any HMRC experience tend to use words like "difficult, unlikely, almost impossible" rather than "definitely not". This is unfortunately not because we don't want to be decisive but rather because we're used to our overly complex tax code throwing up odd answers from time to time and HMRC often have their own interpretation which seems often to come from their preferred answer, i.e. pay tax - now let's think of a reason why).

My personal view is that you have no liability.
          Last edited by Harrai; 13 April 2018, 12:00.

Comment

My own circumstance is that I am a not UK resident, and there are many in a similar position to me. I have copied the post below from the Big Group thread as this is relevant:
            Yes, that might change things.

There is also the question of whether HMRC can even touch you where you live. Unless there is a treaty or agreement which allows the UK to request the assistance of your tax authority to collect debts, there may be little HMRC can do to enforce the LC.

It's worth finding out.

Comment

My own circumstance is that I am a not UK resident, and there are many in a similar position to me. I have copied the post below from the Big Group thread as this is relevant:
              While it might be relevant, it might not be right.

When you ask your tax adviser about your own personal circumstances, ask them about how the residence rules for DR apply (in s554Z4). In particular, ask them what year the step would be "for". You could point your professional adviser to HMRC's explaination of their thinking on residence here: https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...anual/eim45720

You might ask them why your facts are different to their example "Example: relevant step after A has emigrated" (with the difference being that the relevant step is not the actual loan but the deemed loan that is treated as being made to you on 5 April 2019).

If they say you are not resident in the UK at the time and so you don't pay tax then you might ask about the Nichols v Gibson case. Although, this is about termination payments, the DR charge still "counts as employment income" in the same way. HMRC explain their thinking on it here: https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...anual/eim13050

There's an HMRC webinar happening on 1 May (https://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc...ay-2018-a.html) where you can ask them about this and see what they say (you can send questions in advance). But just to be clear, what they say may not be right.

Now some people will say I've put too many links to HMRC's manuals here and that you shouldn't rely on them or believe them. That's fine by me. But I think its helpful in that it allows you to have an informed discussion with your tax adviser based on your personal circumstances.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that in your personal circumstances you will have to pay the April 2019 loan charge or not. That something for you and your tax adviser based on your own circumstances. How concerned you are about this will also depend on whether you are planning to come back to the UK.

Right, time to let people slag me off...

Comment

No-one should slag you off.

You play a bit of a devil's advocate role here, and get people to wake up and smell the coffee, which is what is needed.

Comment

Nobody that really matters is likely to slag you off.

So is Weberg's view incorrect? He does qualify it to be fair, with "in my opinion". The only way to be sure is delve into your pockets and stump up some cash.

Comment

Originally posted by ConfusedEasily View Post
                    Nobody that really matters is likely to slag you off.

So is Weberg's view incorrect? He does qualify it to be fair, with "in my opinion". The only way to be sure is delve into your pockets and stump up some cash.
                    I think that the view expressed has to viewed in the context of having very little information and against a background of some clarity still required from HMRC.

I have some reasons for saying what I did but they are for my paying clients at the moment.
                    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                    X