• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EBT and other schemes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EBT and other schemes

Hi there,

I was with Twentyplus on an EBT until April 2015 when they became non-compliant, at that stage I switched to a compliant company. From April 2016 I have a limited company solution. I received a re-assessment from HMRC for 2011-12 and just received one for 2012-13. I have a postponement for 2011-12 and have my appeal letter in for 2012-13. I am assuming I will get reassessments for years to April 2016 when I have the company solution for.
    Just wondering about my next steps. Of course I paid umbrella companies to manage my scheme so at the moment the HMRC is asking for a lot of tax to be paid retrospectively. Should I start to negotiate with HMRC now or wait until 2019? I don't have the money, along with most people I did not believe that HMRC could change tax laws and make those laws retrospective. What happens in 2019? If I leave as is then they make me pay for all re-assessed years at that time no matter what?

What happens if you cannot pay? Do HMRC make arrangements to pay monthly etc?

For all of the period I worked in Ireland but paid my tax in the UK. So I had a lot of expenses, travel to work etc, that would not have been claimed for as I was in an EBT solution.

Any advice/direction would be great.

thanks in advance

Originally posted by sbar99920 View Post
    Hi there,

I was with Twentyplus on an EBT until April 2015 when they became non-compliant, at that stage I switched to a compliant company. From April 2016 I have a limited company solution. I received a re-assessment from HMRC for 2011-12 and just received one for 2012-13. I have a postponement for 2011-12 and have my appeal letter in for 2012-13. I am assuming I will get reassessments for years to April 2016 when I have the company solution for.
    Just wondering about my next steps. Of course I paid umbrella companies to manage my scheme so at the moment the HMRC is asking for a lot of tax to be paid retrospectively. Should I start to negotiate with HMRC now or wait until 2019? I don't have the money, along with most people I did not believe that HMRC could change tax laws and make those laws retrospective. What happens in 2019? If I leave as is then they make me pay for all re-assessed years at that time no matter what?

What happens if you cannot pay? Do HMRC make arrangements to pay monthly etc?

For all of the period I worked in Ireland but paid my tax in the UK. So I had a lot of expenses, travel to work etc, that would not have been claimed for as I was in an EBT solution.

Any advice/direction would be great.

thanks in advance
    Have a read through the threads on this forum and contact WTT Consulting if the scheme provider aren't around to help

Comment

Working...
    X