• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

STAR

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I gave them a ring today & there's a form attached to a follower notice sent separately which you need to sign to say you're withdrawing any appeals against retrospective tax.
    They're sending me details of how much that relates to for me.

What's happened with the retrospective tax issue? Everything's gone quiet. I assume if I sign the form that's that, game over, hmrc have successfully changed history?

Comment

star4

hey 2BA,

these are two separate issues you are talking about here from my understanding. What you are talking about is taking whats called corrective action, which is not the same as the response that's required for the STAR4. Please someone correct me if I'm talking BS because i'm also trying to figure this all out.

Taking corrective action in response to your APN's and FN's is when you basically throw in the towel and withdraw your appeal against retrospective tax. This means you agree to pay and yes its over.

These STAR letters require a different response I believe and this part is whats confusing me also. There is one page which has 3 options part 1 2 or 3 which we somehow need to complete. Does anyone out there have any more information about what exactly is required and how to respond to this STAR4 notice ? I believe I need to fill out part 3 because I have only ever been with Montpelier's IR35 scheme and they have all the details about that involvement through the SA submitted by Montpelier but does that mean I just sign and date "part 3" and send that one page back to them ?
      .. which is also a problem because I live abroad so do I just post from abroad

Comment

According to the link... it reads that "Any scheme that HMRC defeats on or after 6 April 2017 will be issued with warning notices, unless they advise HMRC before 6 April 2017 of their firm intention to relinquish their position and settle their case.", has anyone taken an action to write or thinking of writing to HMRC? Is it advisable to contact them?

Comment

What i know/have figured out

It's a confusing letter, no doubt about that. Although i'm struggling through this stuff myself, I am happy at least to share my experience. I was in DeGraaf in 06-08 and only that scheme (like someone else, it was my first contract and i was tricked into signing up, not that it makes much difference now). I declared the details in my returns (as DG instructed me to do) at the time.
          I rang the HMRC number at the top of the letter just now. The man was helpful. Everyone's situation is different, sure, but we all get the same letter regardless he said. He confirmed to me that they did indeed know all about DeGraaf, I had supplied all the info previously and (as i confirmed I was not in any other schemes) he therefore confirmed that I had already made a full disclosure. So i filled in box 3 and sent back. (I do so hope that will be the end of it).

From what I gather, and assuming you haven't already thrown in the towel and settled with them (via the FN letter form), then one of the other options would apply, 1 or 2, which seem to be either supply them now with all your details & figures etc of all the schemes you were in, or promise to supply it soon. If you have thrown in the towel and settled with FN before 6th, I think it will get you off the hook filling in the STAR form - but i'm not sure, you better check that out with them.

I should add that in all their recent letters, the tone is very much that we are being herded towards throwing in the towel and settling up, and if we do and pay up, all the pain will stop. (Nice if you can pay).

Comment

Originally posted by outofthesand View Post
            I should add that in all their recent letters, the tone is very much that we are being herded towards throwing in the towel and settling up, and if we do and pay up, all the pain will stop. (Nice if you can pay).
            Behavioural Insight Ltd 's fingerprints all over it.
            I wonder how much tax money goes to these thugs to craft these social engineering strategies.
            Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by outofthesand View Post
              It's a confusing letter, no doubt about that. Although i'm struggling through this stuff myself, I am happy at least to share my experience. I was in DeGraaf in 06-08 and only that scheme (like someone else, it was my first contract and i was tricked into signing up, not that it makes much difference now). I declared the details in my returns (as DG instructed me to do) at the time.
              I rang the HMRC number at the top of the letter just now. The man was helpful. Everyone's situation is different, sure, but we all get the same letter regardless he said. He confirmed to me that they did indeed know all about DeGraaf, I had supplied all the info previously and (as i confirmed I was not in any other schemes) he therefore confirmed that I had already made a full disclosure. So i filled in box 3 and sent back. (I do so hope that will be the end of it).

From what I gather, and assuming you haven't already thrown in the towel and settled with them (via the FN letter form), then one of the other options would apply, 1 or 2, which seem to be either supply them now with all your details & figures etc of all the schemes you were in, or promise to supply it soon. If you have thrown in the towel and settled with FN before 6th, I think it will get you off the hook filling in the STAR form - but i'm not sure, you better check that out with them.

Thank you for the info. In my case, I've haven't received any letter from HMRC.
              I was just wondering whether I need to write to them before the 6th explaining that I've only been on one scheme. The loans are all declared in the P11(d) to HMRC. The question in essence is, do I still have to write a follow-up letter as well?

Comment

Working...
              X