• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC withdraws hundreds of APN's after judicial review

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC withdraws hundreds of APN's after judicial review

Bit of a slap on the wrist

Originally posted by Darren at DynamoAccounts View Post
    “There were repeated warnings from many in the tax profession when the Accelerated Payment Notices legislation was announced that there were insufficient safeguards for taxpayers and the lack of independent judicial scrutiny was a concern to many.

As this case demonstrates, any taxpayer in receipt of an Accelerated Payment Notice should not assume that HMRC has followed the correct internal processes and exercised its powers lawfully"

Assume everything they say is a lie, and you'll be fine.
    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

I couldn't find the Judicial Review that the article mentions so perhaps it never got to caught (or is too hot of the press) but I did see that HMRC won a JR last week on exactly the same point: Graham & Ors, R (on the application of) v HM Revenue and Customs [2016] EWHC 1197 (Admin) (26 May 2016)

Comment

And HMRC still want the power to deduct money directly from peoples accounts without a court order?

Nice.....

Comment

Originally posted by Iliketax View Post
          I couldn't find the Judicial Review that the article mentions so perhaps it never got to caught (or is too hot of the press) but I did see that HMRC won a JR last week on exactly the same point: Graham & Ors, R (on the application of) v HM Revenue and Customs [2016] EWHC 1197 (Admin) (26 May 2016)
          Iliketax
          How can it be exactly the same point??
          If it was exactly the same point then the result would have been the same wouldn't it?
          Which division of HMRC do you work for?

Comment

Originally posted by cliffordthedog View Post
            Iliketax
            How can it be exactly the same point??
            If it was exactly the same point then the result would have been the same wouldn't it?
            Which division of HMRC do you work for?
            1. The same point is that it's about s308(3)FA 2004 and reg 1(2)(b) of the 2006 DOTAS regs.
            2. The facts are different.
            3. I don't.

Comment

From what we know about the decisions, (which I admit is not much), it may be that the cases where the APN has been found to incorrectly issued (not illegal) are where the debate has been over the "notifiable" versus "notified" has been decided.

It seems that a scheme notified but not notifiable under DOTAS cannot have an APN.

(For the moment. HMRC are bad losers and "clarification" may follow which allows an APN).

Challenges which seek to argue on general human rights principles appear to have not won yet and the most advanced of those (the Ingenious film partners group) we understand will not come to Court until late this year.

That is the one we should all hope wins because that will threaten all APNs issued.
              Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

3. I don't.
                You come across as on their side though. An HMRC sympathiser/apologist.
                Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 1 June 2016, 10:36.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                  You come across as on their side though. An HMRC sympathiser/apologist.
                  Thanks for that. I work with a lot of different people at HMRC and have a very good relationship with them and so I see the people there as individuals rather than as an amorphous blob. But I'm certainly not an apologist or sympathiser. At the same time I don't have any skin in the game. And I'm not trying to sell work to anyone on here. But I do spend a lot of time in the minutia of tax law, much of that on new legislation and getting people out of tax avoidance schemes that have gone very wrong (but I have nothing to do with contractors). If you think that means I come across as being on HMRC's side then that's fine. But it won't be because I think HMRC "should" be right or that tax "should" be paid without a legal basis.

Comment

I see the people there as individuals rather than as an amorphous blob
                    When they don't even have the courtesy to sign their name on APN correspondence, it is difficult not to see them as an amorphous blob.

Contractors would also appreciate being treated as individuals rather than as one giant piggy bank.
                    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Working...
                    X