• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Notice of Assessment APSE Consulting Ltd

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingpong View Post
    Thanks, has anyone tried dealing with HMRC directly themselves? Or is this a not recommended?
    I'm sure many people have tried and I'm sure results have been as varied as those trying it.

You need to start by working out what outcome you want.

Do you want to settle on HMRC terms, pay what they want, perhaps over a time period and achieve at least some certainty?

Do you want to challenge HMRC's view in order to secure a lower settlement? If so, be aware that you cannot negotiate per se, and you have to have a sound legal argument (ignoring questions of fairness, bully boy tactics from HMRC, misleading statements from promoters) and then have to convince HMRC of its merits.

If you cannot, you will need to go to a Tribunal yourself or hire an advocate.

You can join something like Big Group which does the latter but with a large number of people.

There are no guarantees that a better technical argument will win. HMRC has shown a predilection for litigating even when they know they will lose. Why? Because they can and they're spending your money. HMRC prefers dogma to common sense, value for money, fairness and intelligence.

If you want to do anything other than settle, be prepared to put in perhaps hundreds of hours over a long period.

Some people I know have done this and done it well. They are not contractors and perhaps had considerably more skin in the game, and therefore perhaps more motivation, but nonetheless, they took it on and probably saved tens of thousands in fees.

In the world of contractor tax, be prepared to abandon logic and coherent HMRC policy when you study the position you are in. be prepared for HMRC throwing up barriers at every opportunity. Be prepared for obstinate and unreasoned refusals to engage. Prepare for a long haul.

So, it can and has been done by individuals.

Key questions:

What outcome do you want?

How much time and effort are you prepared to invest to get that?

How much is your time worth to you and how might that compare to having a professional get you to a decent outcome?

Only you can answer these questions.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Has any user of the MW Solutions trust engaged with the promoter/ trust on how to write off the loans? I have rec settlement pack and considering getting some figures. I should be able to provide all details they require. They ask if the loans will be written off within 30 days.... I have seen from other forums that you don’t necessarily need to provide proof of this anyway? Is it advisable to tick this box with the ‘intention’ of contacting the trust to do this based on having to settle?

Comment

Hello, I am hoping someone can help or advise me, or if there is somebody here who i can speak / dm with to get advice on this please.
        Yesterday I have received a compliance letter from HMRC and when I contacted MW solutions and Imajen they didn’t fill me with hope so I started to have a look into it myself and came across this thread. I really don’t feel comfortable ignoring HMRC .... would help if I could work out how much they want but told not to contact and ask.
        Thankyou in advance
        Rachel

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel78 View Post
          Hello, I am hoping someone can help or advise me, or if there is somebody here who i can speak / dm with to get advice on this please.
          Yesterday I have received a compliance letter from HMRC and when I contacted MW solutions and Imajen they didn’t fill me with hope so I started to have a look into it myself and came across this thread. I really don’t feel comfortable ignoring HMRC .... would help if I could work out how much they want but told not to contact and ask.
          Thankyou in advance
          Rachel
          Drop me a PM

Comment

Hi, New to the board.

I was with APSE and MW for years and had numerous enquiries/demands from HMRC. I used their provided responses each time and have not heard from HMRC for quite some time now. I know that this is still hanging over me but at least there has been some respite. I'm not sure how the new legislation will affect things however.

I am wondering, if HMRC have blocked the APSE liquidation saying that they owe them £37 million, which I assume is for unpaid PAYE, can they go after the employees before this is settled? If they are successful in both then that would be double taxation would it not?

Comment

Hi, Could I have permission to PM please?

Comment

Help APSE -

Unfortunately I too have been involved with HMRC with regards to APSE. I'm now looking for closure and would like to know if I can disclose this under the Disguised Remuneration Scheme which ends 30th September 2018. Does anyone know if this can be done, even though HMRC have already contacted me?

Comment

Originally posted by Lenfant View Post
                  Unfortunately I too have been involved with HMRC with regards to APSE. I'm now looking for closure and would like to know if I can disclose this under the Disguised Remuneration Scheme which ends 30th September 2018. Does anyone know if this can be done, even though HMRC have already contacted me?
                  I don't see why you wouldn't be able to, although you will need to be quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Lenfant View Post
                    Yes you can.

If you get the data to HMRC before Sunday 30th September apparently they "guarantee" you will reach a settlement before 5th April 2019. (!).

If you get info to them after that you will need to go full gas on them to get it done.
                    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

PM

can I have access rights to PM please? I am new and need help urgently!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X