• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone had a visit from HMRC about APNs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone had a visit from HMRC about APNs?

A little while back i had a knock on my door, thought it was someone from the council. But this person showed me a HMRC id card, proceeded to ask me 'about that tax avoidance scheme' ive been using, which almost prompted a knee jerk reaction!
    Then asked me about my house mortgage (mind your own business) and then about my cars in the driveway, then left saying 'you really should pay those hmrc apns soon if i was you.'

Not nice as my kids are rattled now each time the doorbell goes, it's all very unpleasant and dam right nasty. Im sure this person went home feeling better for their fairly earned wage over bank robbers like us...

Are you part of a JR for your APN? Because if you are they shouldn't be visiting you.

Comment

If this is genuine.
      Lodge a complaint to HMRC and then look to take it up with the adjudicator.

The Adjudicator's Office
      Fight back - Join the Big Group Campaign

Comment

Originally posted by difficulttimes View Post
        Are you part of a JR for your APN? Because if you are they shouldn't be visiting you.
        Sorry what is a JR?

Comment

Originally posted by JPC View Post
          Sorry what is a JR?
          Judicial review.

You'd know if you were in one.
          Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

ok Judicial review yes sorry. Well i am part of a scheme as mentioned to one of you here. Thanks will look into complaining.

And just an fyi for the rest of you, i am genuine i assure you, i dont want to be their messenger at the same time, playing their game of the lowest hanging fruit. I wish them all an unpleasant ending.
            Last edited by JPC; 8 April 2016, 17:32.

Comment

i had something of a similar nature but maybe more cut and dry than you.

I received a shouty phone call from HMRC saying I owed money. They couldn't tell me what for, what year other than it was unpaid tax and literally asked me to get a credit card and start reading the big number off the front. I declined obviously.

I finally got a statement from them, spoke with them and it transpired that as I'd used The Edge/EBT scheme, I had to pay the money 'I owed'. Again, I declined.

Just before I received my letter stating I was going to be issued an APN, a man in trenchcoat arrived at my door and asked to speak with me. My partner said I wasn't in which I genuinely wasn't. He went to the car/van and printed a letter out. It said he was debt recovery and looking for payment in full.

I had three visits in total and finally after my then accountant shouted at HMRC the visits stopped. I then received the APN notification followed by the APN which I have paid.

This is obviously different from your circumstances, but I'm baffled as to why they sent debt collection/ballifs if HMRC were issuing APNs.

They even had a good look through the front window to look in to the living room.

Comment

Common gangsters

Not sure what else to call it...

This sounds like intimidation/ harassment, and if I were you, I would report it to the police.
                Last edited by DotasScandal; 14 April 2016, 16:53.
                Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Someone should start filming them the next time they try to pull this off. If enough people upload this on social media, they will be public shamed to change this practice.

Comment

What HMRC did was quite legal - and they can(and have done) far worse.

If HMRC or Baliffs come knocking then politely close the door on them. And refuse to talk except by letter. You do not have to speak to them. Same with the police.

The UK has become a country in which the government can bully, threaten and intimidate quite legally. It will get worse once we vote remain. So few people realize what is happening - and when they hear stories do not believe them.

Until it happens to them. Then suddenly they are up in arms.

If you don't support others, how do you expect to be supported yourself?

I have been unlucky - I have now been involved in 2 major campaigns where the government has behaved badly. At least the second time I dropped out after a couple of years.

Comment

Working...
                    X