• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Repaying back loans

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Iliketax.

The problem with our trust is one man has control of everything. He's both the scheme operator and trustee. And rumours are his company is in financial trouble.

Put two and two together and it starts to smell a bit off.

Comment

does the CCA apply in the IOM ?

Q
      Are the laws affecting the consumer different in the Isle of Man than the UK?

A

In general laws on the IoM mirror those in the UK but there are significant differences in certain items of legislation.

For specific details of legislation that may affect you in your business or leisure on the IoM please contact our office by letter, telephone, fax or email with your enquiry and we will advise you appropriately.

Comment

Originally posted by elpinar View Post
        Q
        Are the laws affecting the consumer different in the Isle of Man than the UK?

A

In general laws on the IoM mirror those in the UK but there are significant differences in certain items of legislation.

For specific details of legislation that may affect you in your business or leisure on the IoM please contact our office by letter, telephone, fax or email with your enquiry and we will advise you appropriately.
        I'm far from an expert on the CCA but had assumed that if you, the borrower, were resident in the UK then the UK CCA would apply even if the lender is offshore. But that is just an assumption. And there would be lots of hoops to go through that may be insurmountable (does the company that acts as trustee have a credit business? Perhaps not in its capacity as trustee? But if it makes lots of these loans as an important part of its overall business?). I just don't know. But I would guess that this is the bit a lender in the IoM would have focused least on. They would have done their best to make sure that the repayment terms in the loan agreement was watertight as that is important for the tax. But the CCA is frequently ignored. Who knows.

Comment

There's no mention of CCA in the loan agreement.

It's only a couple of pages long and looks nothing like any other loan agreement I've signed. Usually there's reams of small print.

Btw, the loans were unsecured and interest free.

Comment

Cross post.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...ml#post2241356

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
              However, in the context of the argument advanced for full/partial loan repayment, i.e. "it shows that the loans were real and reduces the HMRC argument", a write off is just as effective. A write off shows that the loan terms are real and have legal effect. That is the key argument.
              Has anyone approached any of the trustees requesting a write-off of the loan?

I assume that any write-off would immediately be liable for income tax but, assuming the employee is happy with that and the income tax is paid, would that be the end of it? (i.e. no loan and no further tax liability)?

Comment

Originally posted by Krieger View Post
                Has anyone approached any of the trustees requesting a write-off of the loan?

I assume that any write-off would immediately be liable for income tax but, assuming the employee is happy with that and the income tax is paid, would that be the end of it? (i.e. no loan and no further tax liability)?
                I don't see how the write-off of a loan is anything more than the removal of a liability (or debt). How could that possibly attract a tax charge?

Comment

Originally posted by TAF4 View Post
                  I don't see how the write-off of a loan is anything more than the removal of a liability (or debt). How could that possibly attract a tax charge?
                  Well the money has no longer been lent to you, but has been given to you. I would suspect that it would then be immediately treated as income, and therefore taxable. No?

If it were that easy then the providers/promoters would surely have lent the money and then, shortly afterwards, written it off.

Comment

Well the money has no longer been lent to you, but has been given to you. I would suspect that it would then be immediately treated as income, and therefore taxable. No?
                    You may be correct. However if my Granny had lent me a sum and then decided later that repayment wasn't necessary then it would be a gift not income. I can understand a 'Gift' of enormous value causing Hector to salivate so maybe a partial write off each FY would be the way to go.

The real difficulty (in addition to Hector's interest) is that the loan provider might see the the loan book as an asset to be leveraged or sold.

Comment

If it were that easy then the providers/promoters would surely have lent the money and then, shortly afterwards, written it off.
                      Unless you are a tax advisor, or better still tax counsel, it is unwise to speculate.

The answer may vary according to the specifics of a scheme.

Comment

Working...
                      X